My Black Ocellaris pair are spawning!!!

hey rkelman, helped you get to 1000 posts on this thread with a post that had nothing to do with breeding clownfish lol

Thanks, madean. You really seem to know what you're talking about! My husband is very handy and does lots of DIY, so I'm sure he could install it for us. The fish are in the garage and it is sheetrocked but not insulated. There was just a little mold forming on his workbench - not on the walls. So we caught it in time!

We've been using a phytopaste from BrineShrimpDirect.com for gut loading and greenwater. I just ordered from Reeds to see if there's lower mortality.

Hopefully I purchased the right stuff (I think this is what everyone is using???):
Rotigrow +
Nannochloropsis 3600, Greenwater

I wasn't getting the turn-out I wanted with BrineShrimp's phytopaste. We'll see if there's a difference in Reeds.

Hi rkelman - did you try to feed lavara with Ocean Nutriotn freezed rotifers?

My live rotifer culture was crashed :-(

I once got despirate and tried to use frozen rots with no luck.

I'll tell you Rkelman, from what I see, there's a big difference between your Reeds product and what I was using. This is the first time I've sieved rots, put them in clean salt water and still saw green. This is something probably not knew to you, but they're amazingly gut loaded. Now with mortality, it might be too soon to tell, I believe we're getting stronger fry. It's a tad more expensive, but it works. There's just no use wasting my time with the old stuff.

Last night we came home from a night out and I accidently put too much phyto in the new born Darwins. Have you noticed a higher death rate doing this? Do you have a picture of your greenwater for a new hatch?

I've never tried anything else but real phyto so I dont have much to compare it too. I'm glad its looking good for you.

I haven't had phyto kill fry no. I would wait until lights out or just before lights out and pack a crapload of Rots in there to consume the extra phyto. This I have done :)

Rkelman- do you think there is going to be any adverse affects on obtaining otohime given the nuclear crisis in japan? I would think as soon as the supplier runs out of the food, the possibility of the food discontinuing or maybe even contaminated for some time. I know this is petty but its just another possibility of comtamination due to the crisis in japan. Do you have any other plans for feed if otohime is not available to you?

i can't believe how long you have kept this thread going. its awesome. hopefully my clowns will spawn someday. i'll have to try feeding more often from what i've read here tonight. very inspirational stuff.

New diet?

New diet?

The Reeds versus the other.

I am interested as I also have used phyto so all of the products are new to me anyhow,

I am interested as I also have used phyto so all of the products are new to me anyhow,

Jake,
At least for me it would have been worth my while to have followed Rkelman's thread regarding rots. I wouldn't have had so many headaches if I hadn't even tried "the other".

Rkelman,
I asked the Greenwater question because there was a high mortality rate. But it turned out the new heater slowly went ballistic (90'F). This became obvious when i felt heat coming from their aquarium. Dipping in the thermometer verified the problem. :*(

On the bright side, the Picassos had the best ratio hatch ever! They're new to laying eggs but 60 of the 70+ eggs survived.

Last night we took the Darwin eggs for tonight's hatch. I've set the temp at 78'F so I'll keep you up to date. What temperature do you set your fry tanks to pre-hatch?

Rkelman- do you think there is going to be any adverse affects on obtaining otohime given the nuclear crisis in japan? I would think as soon as the supplier runs out of the food, the possibility of the food discontinuing or maybe even contaminated for some time. I know this is petty but its just another possibility of comtamination due to the crisis in japan. Do you have any other plans for feed if otohime is not available to you?

I don't think the crisis in Japan will be an issue for food supply no. If it is I'll switch to something else or make something else. I'm not worried about that.

i can't believe how long you have kept this thread going. its awesome. hopefully my clowns will spawn someday. i'll have to try feeding more often from what i've read here tonight. very inspirational stuff.

Thanks good luck with yours.

I haven't used any others so I don't know. I used Phyto I cultured at home with equal success.

Jake,
At least for me it would have been worth my while to have followed Rkelman's thread regarding rots. I wouldn't have had so many headaches if I hadn't even tried "the other".

Rkelman,
I asked the Greenwater question because there was a high mortality rate. But it turned out the new heater slowly went ballistic (90'F). This became obvious when i felt heat coming from their aquarium. Dipping in the thermometer verified the problem. :*(

On the bright side, the Picassos had the best ratio hatch ever! They're new to laying eggs but 60 of the 70+ eggs survived.

Last night we took the Darwin eggs for tonight's hatch. I've set the temp at 78'F so I'll keep you up to date. What temperature do you set your fry tanks to pre-hatch?

That sucks. These things happen though in this hobby unfortunately.

This thread has been fantastic. I've combed over it over the last several days, taking a lot of notes. Now I'm fired up about breeding some clowns.

You know this thread is good if I'm finally posting something after a couple years of lurking.

RKLM - how much time from buy them to there first spawn?
also, what is the time period between each spawn?

Thank you!

Back