My journey using Chloroquine Phosphate begins...

The studies are out there for velvet. I can't pull them right now, but from memory the gills began clearing without hours of treatment. I've posted many of the findings in earlier posts here or different threads. With a search, many of your questions are answered. We seem to be reinventing the wheel.

There may be direct binding and cellular uptake there by affecting the lysosomes and endosomes without a need for plasma levels within the fish. You are also assuming that the mechanism of action is the same. Not sure if that is the case. I have also read reports the the therapeutic index is quite wide in fish in an oral ingestion study, unlike humans.

Alzapro, do you have any experience using CP for brooklynella? I've read that due to brook being a ciliated parasite, same as velvet and ich, that it should be as effective.

I do not nor have read credible sources in regards to treating brooky with CP. It is worth a try because it is such a rapid killer.

You can use your DT water for water changes in your QT, so it's not necessary to run a filter at all. My QT is always up and running as a separate system with a sump and skimmer. I don't believe one must remove the skimmer when treating with CP, even though CP is protein bound. Skimmers are just not that efficient and any CP it would remove would be insignificant, IMO.

For me, the most important part of the QT process is observation. So a longer period of time allows more opportunity to discover disease and observe the behavior. I have learned not to be in a hurry to transfer fish from QT to DT.

In my experience the most important variable is eating. When that stops the immune system gets progressively weaker, making it more and more difficult to turn things around. So a big part of the QT process is initially getting fish to eat without competition and stress from other tank inhabitants.

As I mentioned I used to quarantine for 5 days. This turned out to be way too short and I ended up transferring sick and maladjusted fish into the DT. Fish often die without any outward signs of disease, probably from organ failure from too high of copper levels in their holding tanks. Its better to allow fish to die in QT than risk contamination of the DT.

I'm sorry I was not more clear-I was planning to keep them in a bare tank with CP for 3 days (a long bath, if you will), then I am planning to quarantine the fish for the proper 3+ weeks in a new bare QT tank after that.

The studies are out there for velvet. I can't pull them right now, but from memory the gills began clearing without hours of treatment. I've posted many of the findings in earlier posts here or different threads. With a search, many of your questions are answered. We seem to be reinventing the wheel.

There may be direct binding and cellular uptake there by affecting the lysosomes and endosomes without a need for plasma levels within the fish. You are also assuming that the mechanism of action is the same. Not sure if that is the case. I have also read reports the the therapeutic index is quite wide in fish in an oral ingestion study, unlike humans.

Not meaning to reinvent the wheel - I have been reading your posts, though clearly I have missed some. Know that I very much appreciate your input.

If I understand your comments here, CP kills the parasite present in the fish more rapidly than would be expected from GI absorption alone. Any sense as to how long until the fish becomes parasite-free after being placed in a bath containing CP?
The wider therapeutic index means that fish tolerate higher doses of the medication before exhibiting signs of toxicity than humans, correct? Are certain species more sensitive than others, as has been suggested?

Gratitude for your help. I shall resume using the search function now.

Parasite clearance depends on what you are treating. Last time I looked was about a year ago, but at that time every study I found but one dealt with velvet and not ich. The one compared CP to a green tea extract and showed greater efficacy with the tea extract. The study was funded by the tea extract company so I pretty much ignored it. With velvet there is a study that looked at different dosage levels of CP and examined the gills and organ necrosis on necropsy for parasites and toxicity from the CP.

When I have time i will try to find you the ref. when I started using CP, it was for velvet. I moved to ich and had the same success. It is the only treatment I have seen that gives a velvet infected fish a fighting chance. With the salvage protocol I developed and posted, I have been able to pull off some impressive rescues. .

Day 21,trigger is still spot free and eating normal,I will go 8 more days with cp and then do a few water changes ,then dose prazi for a month.

Back