My journey using Chloroquine Phosphate begins...

I bought some from the link I posted, have not tried yet. I put all fish through at least 8 weeks QT. I will start using this in my QT system, to see if it is as good as some say. Seems to have some benefits.

What's the consensus on how long to have them in qt with cp?

I treat w/CP for 30 days - same as copper. Better safe than sorry is my motto. :) However, I have read literature (from the 1970s) claiming that CP is effective against protozoans in all stages of their life cycle. If true, CP should work almost instantaneously. I do know a few people who buy into this and only treat for 10 days. They've never had Ich or any other protozoans in their DT as far as I know.

I went 28 days,my trigger is doing great,I now have a niger trigger and yellow tang in 40mg/g and are acting and eating great.

Started day one of my cp. All I need to do is dose it once and it's good for the whole 25 days I plan to treat them with?

When I did the pink tail which showed signs of ich I dosed at 80mg/g.I did 5 gallon water changes with 80mg/g for 2 weeks,then dropped the dosage down to 40mg/g.

So I plan to do 10 gallon water change every 5 days replace those 40mg/g on replace water.

So I plan to do 10 gallon water change every 5 days replace those 40mg/g on replace water.

That's fine. CP is a "one & done" med; but if you need to do WCs to control ammonia you have to treat any replacement water with CP to maintain the concentration.

How about if I see only a few spots on one of the fish tails?

Personally, I would probably do an initial dose of 40mg/gal, wait 48 hrs, and then do another 20mg/gal if Ich was still present.

Wait 48 hrs, and dose another 20mg/gal if Ich is still present (or if any other symptoms still exist such as scratching, twitching).

This would be my strategy for dealing with "light Ich" vs. full-blown. For Velvet it's 80mg/gal, all-in-one dose.

But if these "spots" are only on the tail; are you sure it's not just Lymphocystis?

Last edited:
It may not be ich. Since it doesn't look too be any where else but on the tall area. I bit more fungus looking. I 'll see how it goes in a few more days.

+1 with humblefish,I dosed 80mg/g because the trigger had full blown case of ich,my new trigger and yellow tang show no signs so I went with 40mg/g treatment and will last for 28 to 30 days.

ok so question i forgot to turn off my lighting in my QT how fast does CP degrade if i ran my LEDs? Should i redose 40mg/g after doing a water change and keep the lights off?

Back