My journey using Chloroquine Phosphate begins...

Scuzy: is fish showing signs of spots after first treatment? One tank I did a one time dose! Another tank I dose every day for 10 days! Same results in both tanks!

It was posted earlier that CP does not till tomonts, has that actually been confirmed? Has anyone posted links to actual studies of CP and Ich?

It was posted earlier that CP does not till tomonts, has that actually been confirmed? Has anyone posted links to actual studies of CP and Ich?

I would like to know this as well. I have heard conflicting reports about whether CP kills tomonts.

I'm at MACNA right now, and I asked Seachem if they were ever going to offer a CP product. Their response was "maybe," and it was heavily dependent on current and future legislation of veterinary pharmaceuticals. It didn't sound promising. :(

I would like to know this as well. I have heard conflicting reports about whether CP kills tomonts.

Yeah it's kinda a big issue if it doesn't kill tomonts as that would mean you need to make treatment last 70+ days if treating a main tank.

Last edited:
I have read opinions (but nothing backed up by a study) that CP is effective against parasites in all stages of their life cycle. If true, this would mean CP can clear a fish of Crypto, Velvet, Brook and even Uronema in as little as 10 days. Once my QT tanks are clear; I plan on finding fish with visible Crypto cysts, photograph/document them, treat with CP for 10 days, and then move them to a different HT with no CP present. See if symptoms return. I realize my little experiment will just be anecdotal, but I really want to know. I'm even prepared to examine the fish's gills using a microscope once I do a little more research (but I could use some help with that part).

In the meantime, I'm pretty confident that CP kills theronts - making it just as effective as copper in those regards. But without the nasty side effects. So I would say a 30 day treatment is usually sufficient. But as the Colorni and Burgess study found, you would need to treat for up to 72 days to get closer to 100% eradication. The same holds true for any hypo/chemical treatment; but not TT, making it the most effective treatment currently known to us IMHO.

(But as the Colorni and Burgess study found, you would need to treat for up to 72 days to get closer to 100% eradication. The same holds true for any hypo/chemical treatment; but not TT, making it the most effective treatment currently known to us IMHO.)
HumbleFish what is TT ?

(But as the Colorni and Burgess study found, you would need to treat for up to 72 days to get closer to 100% eradication. The same holds true for any hypo/chemical treatment; but not TT, making it the most effective treatment currently known to us IMHO.)
HumbleFish what is TT ?

TT is tank transfer method. Involves rotating fish from QT tank to another QT tank to eliminate parts of the crypto life cycle.

IMO TT+ Chloro. will be a good combination

If fish has visible signs I would treat at 80/mg.I ordered mine off eBay as well.But my vet,which I am good friends has written me prescription after showing him this thread.

I'm going to talk to my vet first before I add more medication to the tank. I want to make sure I am dosing correctly.

I went the full 80mg/g on a butterfly that I thought was terminal, it made a full recovery. I just wish there was a way to verify concentration.

So, it appears that the eBay seller is sourcing his CP from Fishman Chemical, which explains why I am getting poor results. This was confirmed by Humblefish in an exchange with the seller. Caveat emptor.

Back