My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

This all kina looks like computer gibberish but the result looks phenomenal. wish i had the skills to build that! :D

Its actually not that hard, I am no good when it comes to electronics, schematics, programming, soldering, etc. However I have found this to be extremely easy. (First time doing anything electronic wise, and I never could graps programming)

Its actually not that hard, I am no good when it comes to electronics, schematics, programming, soldering, etc. However I have found this to be extremely easy. (First time doing anything electronic wise, and I never could graps programming)

This all kina looks like computer gibberish but the result looks phenomenal. wish i had the skills to build that! :D

exactly like jross said, if you wanna do this, doughboy has already done the impossible part, all we gotta do is follow his directions :)

actually, this is probable the easiest DIY controller to duplicate that I've seen, mechanically speaking....the code looks far more complicated than any of the others I've followed though :) but the code is small and there's still plenty of room to expand, this controller really has unlimited future expansion potential

Last edited:
I want to make sure I am understanding the instructions right. I am using it in plain letters (although in the setup I used the 64 encoder website mentioned in config.h, also these are not the real creditials)

#define BASICAUTH "myreef:password" "This is just used to login the controller corect?"
#define SMTPSERVER "mail.twc.com"
#define SMTPPORT 587
#define SMTPUSER "myispemail@twc.com" "For the record I have tried just my username as well as username with @twc.com"
#define SMTPPASSWORD "password"
#define EMAILFROM "myispemail@twc.com" "I am assuming this has to be the same account you logged into from above?"
#define EMAILTO "anyemail@anydoamin.com" "With this one I have tried to send it to my isp email account, as well as to my gmail account, either way I never get anything"

Also, to see if this can be added in or not, I would love to have a way where I can clear out my logs via web, instead of going into the sd card itself, or with out using curl or any other server commands.

the above is correct. just use the "encoded" version like in the config.h comment.

to delete a file or entire directory, simply go to Logs and Setup/File Manager and go to the file or directory you want to delete, the do the "swipe left" or "swipe right" action to delete the file. The code is a little sensitive so you have to swipe fast. No need to get the SD out to delete a file. :)

on a PC browser, I believe you can do the swipe action by holding down CTRL key then swipe with the mouse.

Jrossjr79, I got it to work with my text msg. It bounce it back with gmail

Kinda figured it was bouncing back with gmail, but I also tried using my isp email addy and I still dont receive it. Since I dont use a phone no more (cell phone free for over 2 years, and I love it), sending a text message to a phone is a no go for me. I might try gmx and see if I can get it working there instead.

Kinda figured it was bouncing back with gmail, but I also tried using my isp email addy and I still dont receive it. Since I dont use a phone no more (cell phone free for over 2 years, and I love it), sending a text message to a phone is a no go for me. I might try gmx and see if I can get it working there instead.

That is what I used to get the text msg, with using gmx.

d0ughb0y will the email notification send out to a regular email address like gmail

yes.
you can also send to multiple recipients,

#define EMAILTO "emai1@gmail.com,email2@yahoo.com,email3@hotmail.com"

just separate each email with a comma.

(if comma does not work, try semi-colon, I can't remember now which one is correct)

yes.
you can also send to multiple recipients,

#define EMAILTO "emai1@gmail.com,email2@yahoo.com,email3@hotmail.com"

just separate each email with a comma.

(if comma does not work, try semi-colon, I can't remember now which one is correct)

Do I need to do anything else in the code

If sending with gmail back to gmx as rejected and I can get it to send me a text.

I'm not sure I follow.
you are using gmx smtp server.
your EMAILFROM email is your gmx email.
your EMAILTO email can be any valid email, including gmail. So not sure what you mean your gmail email is rejected.

I'm not sure I follow.
you are using gmx smtp server.
your EMAILFROM email is your gmx email.
your EMAILTO email can be any valid email, including gmail. So not sure what you mean your gmail email is rejected.

When I go to my gmx email account it say gmail undelivered, but it will send a text msg to my phone

When I go to my gmx email account it say gmail undelivered, but it will send a text msg to my phone

can you try to send an email from your gmx webmail to your gmail account?

either gmail is rejecting mail from gmx or the email address has a typo.

what does it say for the rejection reason?

clock update

clock update

If this line exists I should be getting RTC updates from the internet right?

#define NTPSERVER 193,193,193,107 //pool.ntp.org

LCD reports
Network OK
Webserver OK

wgraham, if you see that its being rejected by gmail maybe gmx is labeled as spam? I sent a test from gmx but it hasnt gone thru yet or been rejected after 5 mins.

Are you guys using the following for GMX? I cannot get this thing going for the life of me!
#define SMTPSERVER "mail.gmx.com"
#define SMTPPORT 25

Well I finally got my email working, and it took some work. First off, not as easy as it should be, thanks to spam filters and the like. Gmail and more than likely yahoo as well, are doubling up on what they may think is spam. And not only will it not go to the inbox, but not to the spam folder either, just completely blocking it. This has been confirmed with gmail. I am just assuming yahoo is doing hte same thing since I never got anything in my emails about it.

Second, I am use to being able to send to myself emails, for example: sending mail from 1234@gmail.com to 1234@gmail.com. My ISP nor will GMX allow this.

How it is all setup now, my controller logs into my GMX account and sends the email off to my ISP emails account. I know there has to be some trick to be able to send the email to gmail (which is what I prefer) but at this time I have no idea how.

This is what GMX sends to you when trying to send mail via smtp server to gmail. Which may be the problem wgraham has been facing:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address
failed:

"XXXXXXX@gmail.com":
SMTP error from remote server after transfer of mail text:
host: gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
5.7.1 [74.208.4.201 12] Our system has detected that this message is
5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail,
5.7.1 this message has been blocked. Please visit
5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188131 for
5.7.1 more information. v5si2779356qab.199 - gsmtp

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

Received: from CHAUVET16 ([24.243.22.144]) by mail.gmx.com (mrgmxus001) with
ESMTPA (Nemesis) id 0LjqQR-1XFlYB0V8T-00bwgk for <XXXXXXX@gmail.com>; Sat,
10 May 2014 02:08:18 +0200
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 02:08:18 +0200
Message-ID: <0MLuzi-1Wk1IU25TI-007oSt@mail.gmx.com>
Sender: XXXXXXX@gmx.com
X-Provags-ID: *****TOOK OUT MESSAGES*****

wgraham, if you see that its being rejected by gmail maybe gmx is labeled as spam? I sent a test from gmx but it hasnt gone thru yet or been rejected after 5 mins.

Are you guys using the following for GMX? I cannot get this thing going for the life of me!
#define SMTPSERVER "mail.gmx.com"
#define SMTPPORT 25

I have it working with gmx:

Code:
#define WEBSERVERPORT 8000
//go to http://base64-encoder-online.waraxe.us
//to create your encoded string
//BASICAUTH = username:password,  sample below is admin:password
//SMTPUSER = your email login, sample below is admin
//SMTPPASSWORD = your email password, sample below is password
#define BASICAUTH "ENCYPTED DATA"
#define SMTPSERVER "smtp.gmx.com"
#define SMTPPORT 25
#define SMTPUSER "ENCYPTED DATA make sure you have your full gmx address here"
#define SMTPPASSWORD "ENCYPTED DATA gmx password"
#define EMAILFROM "username@gmx.com"
#define EMAILTO "anyemail@anydomain BUT IT IS WORTH MENTIONING NEITEHR YAHOO OR GMAIL WILL SEND IT THROUGH, AND CANT BE THE EXACT SAME EMAIL ADDRESS THAT IS BEING SENT FROM"

for the record, inside gmx, web interface, you can send an email directly to your gmail account and it not be rejected and it will go through, I have test emails showing this. I have also added the gmx email to list of contacts in gmail, yet it still rejects mail from gmx when it comes from the controller. I am looking into this personally, since gmail is my main account I keep up with. I really hate having several email accounts.

Last edited:
My ISP is ATT U-Verse, they partnered with Yahoo and use their email system for everything. If GMX cant send to its self I'm pretty screwed.

Does the web interface for GMX indicate if the controller tried to send an email but didn't receive a rejection notice yet from gmail? Would it immediately show something in the sent folder after the arduino sends the command?

It sometimes take 5 mins for gmx to send you an email of rejection from gmail, yahoo seems to never send one. You can send a gmx account to another gmx account, but from what I have seen so far with different tests, you cant log into gmx account a and send gmx account a an email. You could and should be able to log into gmx account a and send an email to gmx account b.

As far as gmx to gmail coming from the controller, its a no go, gmail seems to not like any email if it is logging directly into any smtp server and sending an email. Its all in the name of combating spam, but when it actually is not spam, it gets very frustrating.

I have emailed the google support team with this, more than likely I will never hear anything back. I might go back and comment out emailfrom and see what happens. I think that is where things are tripping up with gmails spam alert email rejection.

BTW< the rejection notice will be in your gmx account, not in your gmail account. IT will be in what ever email account you are sendin git from.

Back