My new Maxima (pic)

max101101

In Memoriam
I just picked this clam up from the LFS. It's about 3.5" and appears to be very healthy. I needed to replace the 6+" deresa that I'm trading away later tonight. Let me know what you guys think
-Max

Beautiful colours and pattern! Hard to tell from this angle but is it gaping a little? Could be just because he's new and not settled in yet.

Flame*Angel said:
Beautiful colours and pattern! Hard to tell from this angle but is it gaping a little? Could be just because he's new and not settled in yet.

newbie question,....
what is 'gaping'?

thx...

Gaping is when ther mouth of the clam (intake) is spread wider than it should be. The picture kinda makes it look that way, but it's in great health. Thanks for the compliment

That's a Crocea, not a maxima.
Many times Croceas take a few days to get settled until they start showing full mantle extension. Let it chill, that's really the only thing you can do for it.

yeah thats a great crocea. every time i get a new crocea it gaps for a couple of days and then seems fine.

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on this one. I believe it to be a maxima. I've never seen a crocea with a mantle this wide. Croceas to me just look like two lips peaking out of a shell. any other input would be appreciated. Thanks for the replies
-Max

Although it is a T. Crocea, I don't think you will offend the clam too much if you call it a "Maxima". Heck, you can even name the little guy "Max". I once had a cat when I was little, but since I never liked cats, I named him Dog, but then I realized I didn't like Dogs either so I named him Fish.

The silly Feline never cared, and if he did, oh well, because all that mattered was that I was happy with my Fish.

all of my croceas have huge mantles. here is a picture of one who has the biggest mantle of any clam in my tank. my maxs dont ever extend there mantles this much. ( i know the picture is horible and it looks like he is gaping.) :) :)

I am sure that it is a Crocea also. Your clam color is also typical for that of a Crocea.
Here are a few of my clams. I am showing off my clams.

Crocea:
788BlueLinckiaCrocea.JPG

Maximas
788100_0460.JPG

Ultra_Max_2.sized.jpg

788ClamGreenMCap2.JPG

Ultra_Max_3.sized.jpg

i dont know

i dont know

i was thinking the 3rd one looked the best
just wanted to disagree with ali

Re: i dont know

Re: i dont know

sberman said:
i was thinking the 3rd one looked the best
just wanted to disagree with ali

Scott, no I mean the 3RD maxima, but the 4th clam down.

We are talking about the same clam.

Back