My Tank Thread (Take3) ★Total AUTOMATION★ DIY Doser, Sump, AlgaeScrubber, WaterChnges

Hey Wally, nice upgrade plan! It’ll look great!
I really wonder if that washer water was making it into your reservoir.. That could definitely cause issues. Good catch!
Looking forward to the new thread.

BEEN VERY BUSY ( MEGA UPDATE) POST Basement Flood

So with the Basement Flood I've been crazy busy.

So here are a few updates.

TEST FRAG (Update) Continues to RTN

Perhaps you forgot. I got those two Blue Acro's a while ago, (to compare Frag Tank to DT).

The Frag Tank one died a while ago (but things were awful in the Frag Tank).

The DT Frag started to RTN, and I cut it down.

It did ok but I noticed the RTN continues.

37703427815_fafcfd9d56_c.jpg

I am asking a buddy to place in his tank to see if RTN will stop.

Just to see if it's my tank.

But other than the two Frags I cut (the Blue Acro, and IceFire) ALL SPS Frag are doing well. (No More dishwater helps :))

Wally,
how is the straberry shortcake and the sunset milli you got from GTA?

Both are doing good. Most important to me (nothing wrong). Showing PE.

37875015914_37f940bc4e_c.jpg

The Sunset is very healthy at tips. I still worry a bit on the center bottom. Not bleaching like the Blue Acro, but doesn't look as vibrant.

All good news, since in the Past (Soap Water from Upstairs leaks) would have kill them both by now.

THE (SOAPY Water in RO Reservoir) TANK CURSE (Resolved) Kitchen Sink Area

So I've been killing myself to fix the leaking Sink/Dishwater Damage.

It's started as a small project. I was just going to fix dishwasher hose.
I had things dried up, and next day WATER under sink.

The sink was leaking too. (More dirty water going into basement).

That's when I decided "Must be done right".

I ripped out all bad wood . SEALED THINGS 100% (Top and in basement)
Also re did all plumbing (good thing, since the drain pipe was clogged).

38558880472_741506460c_c.jpg

My back hurts. I lost 1/2 a finger nail, and hands have multiple cuts all over. Splinter too :(

I still have to silicone things 100%, but water will flood kitchen before a drop spills into Basement/Tank.

The counter was rotten a bit, so I got a large sink and cut out bad pieces.
Wife is happy WITH NEW improved (Larger, Deeper Sink)

24719449408_2a92100c65.jpg

Haha. Wife thinks this is all for her.

I have to butter her up for the Basement Tank Upgrade news!!! :)

Next Post explains what that will be.

Last edited:
NEW TANK ( Might be a Miracle Aquarium )

Since the Sump Room / New SPS tank project is going to be a big job.

Might as well do things right for the future.

I am in discussion with Derek at Miracle Aquariums here is Canada. They do standard and custom tanks.

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/

I am thinking custom built aquarium.

The two viewing sides with be STARPHIRE Glass. (Saves money to not do two sides in quality glass).

Since behind wall, I'm not going Rimless, but going Euro Rim.

It will be drilled Tank. Possibly Double Hole.
Derek has almost convinced me to go a Deeper Tank. Not talled but front to back. (I like that idea for more space).

It may be time to start all this planning in NEW THREAD.

At this point waiting for Insurance Manager to get back to me, on what they will approve for the Flood Coverage (on office, and rec room)

Miracle Aquarium Example (WOW) I didn't know you could do this.

I took a peek at one thread that Miracle has of example builds.

My crappy Inside Overflow 65 Gallon is nothing compared to this.

38561378752_3be3771d6f_c.jpg

That is a rimless example, so wonder what choices I'll have.

That's a sweet tank Wally and Miracles has a great rep for dependability and build.

My only strong advice it to go with at least a 24" wide tank.

I have a 80g 48x24x16..........I like it but would prefer 20-22" height. That allows more grow out and you can create a lower aqua scape to see colors better if you don't make your stand too high. Max height I'd cut off at 24" for lighting and ease of maintenance.

Agreed on the ‘at least 24 wide’ advice. That back to front depth is so important for aesthetics, aquascaping and flow management.
Nice new sink!

Wally,

tank looks great.
I knew you were going to get a bigger tanks once things looked good in that tank.:thumbsup:

Thanks Guys,
Appreciate the input. Keep feedback/idea's coming. This is a one time, chance of a lifetime.
Want to get it right.

Funny. That is the first thing that Derek at Miracles said. 24" depth. I said I could squeeze 20" from current 18" that I have with 65Gal Tank.

I've been thinking about that. Bit of a challenge since I have the Kitchen Tank Sump right there squeezing me for space.
Then last night I realized with Wider Tank 48" the stand would spread out so not an issue. K-Sump would slip a bit under the other tank stand.

Ed, I was also thinking like you that a shallower tank would get me more lighting penetration, and I could stop standing on stool to reach in. 20" sounds wonderful for maintenance!!

My hole in wall is fixed. But I can reduce it easily with drywall.
I don't want to rip apart walls too much, but anything is possible once old tank is out.

This picture of my sump-room framing taken 15 years ago explains things.
38542364206_5ae2243d4e_o.jpg

My main priority right now is to plan for Current 65 Gallon move out.
That way I can open up Sump-Room for some ruined drywall replacement, and built stand etc for new tank.

Once I have tank out, I'll start the new thread in SPS section and maybe others can help too with ideas.

Wally,
now that acros are happy, I anticipate a big problem....
you will run out of space quickly with so many frags in that tank.
you will need a bigger one. hahaha

Jorge,
I laughed when you post this.
Now it's going to come true.
Amazing!!
I'm so excited about the tank upgrade, I can't sleep (since so many things going thru my head)

Wally,
the bigger the tank, the better.
you always run out of space no matter how big dt is.
so give it a good thought before you buy it
best wishes

How does this tank size sound.

My bulk head sticks out back, so current tank width is 23" anyway.

(LxWxH) = 43 x 24 x 21 which makes tank 93.8 Gallons.

Assumption is Euro Trim isn't as wide as what I have now which is 2" at top and 2" at bottom.

Tank Design (EuroReef Trim) Draft

So I had a detailed discussion with Miracle Aquariums and learned about options and what EuroReef Trim is (Glass Top Plate 3" around).

That changes my current 2" black trim and improves things.
Water Line will be better position, and more viewing area.

Outside overflow is more money (plus I loose one viewing side which I don't like).

So this is basically where my design stand (flexible on dimension at this point)

37715972485_3bd5613e12_c.jpg

Last edited:
EXTERNAL (Ghost Overflow) vs INTERNAL (Overflow Box) ????

I lived with an internal overflow box for over a decade.

Sure I had an issue with snail plugging hose recently (so had to have overflow guard)

Is the External (GHOST) Overflow much better (Asthetic look inside tank) and (Quiet), but quiet isn't that important since Sump Room is isolated (and sump is noiser)

37716988995_b32f3b5164_z.jpg

In that other photo above the Example Tank had whole side covered in Dark Acrylic.
I would like to see some of left side of tank (inside sump room). I assume the customer wanted the side covered with Black Acrylic on purpose.

BUT THE BIG "DOWNSIDE" of the Ghost Overflow is it's wider (I think).
I can't put Overflow on back of tank since Sump room will get too tight with Wider Tank.
So then I'll have less room on left side of tank to install a Gyre Pump at top/middle of side.
But maybe Gyre can go just underneath the Ghost overflow.

But now that I think about it. With Euro Brace (The tank will have 3" glass all around).
Internal Overflow will be hard access.

Last edited:
New Tank Depth (23 Inches) 99% Sure

Diagrams are one thing, but reality can be different.

I put a piece of Cardboard in Sump Room to get a feel of Large Tank Depth (affecting space).

38574132662_2df6516363_b.jpg

24" doesn't change much, but will inside tank (Also with External access INTO Tank with Euro Trim Top).

Now I need to finalize (Height and Width)

IF I were you, I’d try to get that external overflow. Much more aesthetically pleasing when looking at the tank..
Wally, why are you haveing the water 1.5 inches below the top of the tank? Don’t know why you’d need more than 1/2 inch..

IF I were you, I’d try to get that external overflow. Much more aesthetically pleasing when looking at the tank..
Wally, why are you haveing the water 1.5 inches below the top of the tank? Don’t know why you’d need more than 1/2 inch..

I am still figuring out the fine details (measurements). These are all rough notes I'm taking from Miracle rep.

The 1.5 inches includes the Euro Reef Glass Rim which is 1/2 inch glass (I think, maybe 1" ). And Derek mentioned the 1.5" from Top Number. That could be when return pump not running. That could be with interneral overflow. If you include the Euro Trim that takes off another 1/2"-1" from top (thus only 1/2" from top of actual tank).

All rough numbers. I'll have everything down to milimeter sizing (since the Framing and Stand has to be prefect).

AND YES, if I am about to improve this 12 year old tank, the next 12 years better be enjoyment. So External Overflow is a MUST!!!

I have to improve everything that bothers me about this current setup.
I am taking notes. I just cleaned glass, and a few power cord were annoying. Overflow box in the way, etc, etc.
I'll live this old tank before I make the purchase.

I am even thinking, do all the Framing (Sump room fix too), and just move this 65 Gallon into the corner, and see it, feel THE NEW SETUP. Then understand the changes needed, before final specs on NEW TANK. (Sure 3 moves, but I got to have ZERO disappointment after spending the extra money).

Original plan was a STANDARD Marineland 90 Gallon tank, and I'd re-use my overflow box from 65GAL. Now things are getting out of hand, but this is for many years.

WHAT ARE EVERYONE's THOUGHTS about doing 2x viewing sides with STARPHIRE GLass? Worth the extra cost? (Never saw a tank with that glass)

Last edited:
Back