Need some opinions on BB

diverrad

I have to do some work on my tank this weekend and i will be moving and rearanging about half my rock work, so i was toying with the idea of of ripping out my shallow sand bed in my quest for perfect water. I will also kill a green choris wrass that keeps sending up plumes of sand all day in the tank.
SO should i go BB or not? My old tank was BB with starboard and i kinda hated the look of it but i was not as sick with sps back then.
So whats your opinion to BB or not to BB

I don't like the look of barebottom. Yeah, you can have better water chemistry without sand beds, but if you keep your tank in check regularly, then it should be fine. Many well maintained tanks I've seen and read about use sand. If you check the tank of the months here on this site, people have absolutely stunning tanks packed out with SPS and clean water demanding corals with nice sand beds. Just cause you rip out your sand bed means that you'll have clean water instantly. I guess it would definitely help keep the tank cleaner though.

its up to you, depends on which look you prefer good luck

Last edited:
Personally I hated the look of a BB tank as well. For a while I thought it would be soo much easier, but in the end its just detrius and coraline algae you end up looking at on the bottom of the tank. Personally I think a SSB is the best of both worlds.

And please don't kill your choris wrasse...catch him and give him to another reefer or an LFS of some sort.

Personally I hated the look of a BB tank as well. For a while I thought it would be soo much easier, but in the end its just detrius and coraline algae you end up looking at on the bottom of the tank. Personally I think a SSB is the best of both worlds.

And please don't kill your choris wrasse...catch him and give him to another reefer or an LFS of some sort.

Lol don't worry, he's just joking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went low sand bed. I wanted to go bare bottom but i dont like that look as I have sandy real estate in the middle of my tank.

Deep enough the my conchs' are happy and keep the sand nice and white!

As someone mentioned earlier... detritus will become noticable in a bare bottom tank. However, it will become easier to do a w/c without the worry of syphoning up sand and detritus building up in a sandbed. No worry's of sand clumping. A little less expensive as you can now use the money to buy Ca++ reactor media instead of replenishing the sand(LOL). As you also know, in time the starboard willl eventually become covered in different shades of coraline anyway and will give a nice look aswell to a tank. You also don't have to worry about acro's falling onto the sandbed and being hidden and burried, then found halfway alive because the skin came off(benfit of barebottom).

I just find it alot easier and it also gives me a chance to inspect the floor for any unwanted critters roaming around. I wish I would of done it with my DT. The choice is really yours to make. Keep it sweet, keep it simple. Just my $.02.

Thanks man but for now i am keeping the shallow sand bed , i already did my rearangin of rocks on saturday so i am in no mood to do that again anytime soon. I also have a few critters that need a sand bed so for now it will stay but i think when i upgrade it will be a BB.

Back