New 150 Gallon Custom A.G.E. Frag Tank Build

nuxx

.Registered Member
Hey everyone,

Just decided it was time for a new frag / grow out tank...

Our 470 Gallon Display is still ongoing and has a lot of work left to do, you can see the build thread here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386255

I felt our current 55 gallon frag tank left a lot to be desired...

Main issues are as follows:
- Too Tall
- Too Narrow
- HOB Skimmer
- Canister Filter with live rock rubble for filtration
- Cheap Chinese Blue / White LEDs

Since I want to add so much coral (SPS, LPS, Polyps, etc...) to the display, I felt that the 55 gallon tank would just not keep up with demand.

I also decided since this tank won't get the attention that the large tank will get, that it needed to be glass and not acrylic (like the display).

After shopping around, I ended up picking A.G.E. (Acrylic and Glass Exhibits - http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/) to make the tank.

They are just up the road in Dallas and we can just go pick up the tank when it's done. They also seem to do some very nice work.

As for the tank I decided on the following:
- 60x36x16" dimensions, should be wide and long enough to hold a lot of coral and not too deep that we have to get soaked to move stuff around.
- 3/4" Glass for the main panels. Don't have to be paranoid about scratches.
- PVC Bottom... cause all the cool kids are doing it.
- External overflow, just frees up space. Also not a fan of holes in the bottom of tanks.
- 3 drains at 1.5" (Bean Animal) and 2 returns at 1".
- Stainless Steel rim top and bottom, just sounds cool :)

Here is a mock up of the tank from A.G.E.

frag_Tank_Mock.jpg

Work should be starting soon, deposit has been made and all specs have been finalized.

Really excited about this tank... should be a little more relaxing than the large tank.

I haven't really thought about equipment yet though...

Would be open to hearing suggestions on what equipment we should get.

Leaning towards Kessils for lighting, since we run A360WEs in the display. Should be able to run similar profiles to help with acclimation.

Thinking Jebao wave makers or one of the Gyre pumps. Then also using a Jebao DC return pump.

No idea of what skimmer to use either...

What would you guys use for dosing? Equipment, what to dose, etc...

I think we're going to attempt to make the stand and also the sump... what size sump do you think we should shoot for?

Will try to get away with using MarinePure Ceramic Blocks instead of live rock as well.

Thought about going fishless like I am currently, but I feel fish and their "coral food" are just needed. Been losing random coral here and there, feel lack of fish is hurting. I'm paranoid about fish diseases in a frag tank, but I just need to get over it. Was thinking of adding ich magnets like an Achilles Tang to this tank. Should show signs quickly of any issues. I can then treat the fish in QT and go fishless for 3 months in the tank. Also maybe a wrasse to help with any coral eating inverts... If a fish gets too big for the tank, off to the display they go...

Thanks for reading guys, would love to hear your feedback and suggestions! :love1:

Last edited:
After talking with A.G.E. a bit I've changed up the tank a bit.

Changed the glass from 3/4" to 1/2". 3/4" might be overkill and make it a little harder to carry.

Also made the front long panel starphire, as well as the side opposite the overflow.

These will be the two most viewed panels, with the back long panel just being to walk around to reach and place corals.

Also blacked out the side with the overflow.

My new ghetto drawing...

frag_Tank_Mock2.jpg

Just got some pictures from A.G.E. of the build :)

Looks like it's coming along really nice!

Can notice how much clearer the starphire looks versus the regular glass.

A.G.E. has really been on top of their game so far!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can't wait for the finished product :)

Lookin' good! This will be separate or connected to the main system? Since it sounds like it will not be a quarantine tank of sorts. Will you connect it to the main DT eventually?
Good luck on the new business.:celeb3:

Daniel. :wildone:

Lookin' good! This will be separate or connected to the main system? Since it sounds like it will not be a quarantine tank of sorts. Will you connect it to the main DT eventually?
Good luck on the new business.:celeb3:

Daniel. :wildone:

It's going to be completely separate from the main DT. Going to house a super sensitive fish or two that'll clue me off to any fish disease that might come from newly added coral.

After any coral is added, I'll wait 6 weeks to see if anything pops up on the fish in the frag system. If everything looks fine, I'll be fine to move any coral I want over to the DT.

Right now I'm doing fishless coral / invert QT for 3 months. I feel that not having a fish in there could be detrimental to some corals. Also I guess it's 50/50 if a canary fish would be a better sign of newly introduced fish disease or just waiting 3 months fishless is 100% effective.

Thanks for you wish of luck for the new business. Getting very close to sponsoring RC :)

This got to be one of the nicest frag tank.
Sponsoring RC? are you going to grow corals and sell?

This got to be one of the nicest frag tank.
Sponsoring RC? are you going to grow corals and sell?

No this is personal :)

We've created a site that sells fish, coral and inverts. We've shipped over 300 fish in the few months we're been up and running, but wanted to make sure everything was running at 1000% before really pushing the site.

Worked all the little kinks out, just adding a little more content over the next two weeks.

We've been keeping track of in stock items over the last 6 months and have around 100 more items to add for a total of around 1000 items. There are also about 900 more items that haven't been in stock since we started, but we'll get those added in the coming weeks. Also around 700 new WYSIWYG corals go up each week as well. Tons of high end plugs going up this week as well, around 1000 plugs in addition to the 700 other WYSIWYG colonies/larger pieces.

Wanted everything that has been in stock to be online before we sponsor RC.

Just picked up a 75 gallon tank at Petsmart yesterday for the sump.

75qt.jpg

Decided it would just work better than a 55 gallon.

Price was pretty good, ended up being $2 a gallon.

Something like $240 MSRP, was on sale of $199. Bought online and got 10% off and 20% off for picking up at the store. Ended up being $149.

Should offer more options for the sump and help keep the system more stable with the increased water volume.

Nice! DIY time! :thumbsup:
Show us your design for the new sump so we can tell you you're doing it all wrong/right.........:D

Well the tank is almost done :)

A.G.E. just has a little bit of clean up work to do, and we should be able to pick it up this Friday!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Went up to Dallas on Friday and got the tank :)

It barely fit in my wife's 4Runner... good thing I took the seats out...

image.png

Then took 6 people to get the tank in the house... had to flip the tank on it's side to get through the door, so the extra hands really helped!

image.png

image.png

image.png

Now we need to get the stand started and start buying equipment! :beer:

Awesome dimensions for a frag tank!!

I agree using the same lighting will help. As far as skimmers go, I would really recommend looking at the aquamaxx/jns (they're exactly the same, just different labels) skimmers. They perform absolutely outstanding and are priced well. All models use sicce pumps I believe.

Also seachem matrix might be cheaper than the marine pure blocks. Although, the matrix is onmy available in rocks, not a space saving block like the other brand.

Excited to see the progress!

Awesome dimensions for a frag tank!!

I agree using the same lighting will help. As far as skimmers go, I would really recommend looking at the aquamaxx/jns (they're exactly the same, just different labels) skimmers. They perform absolutely outstanding and are priced well. All models use sicce pumps I believe.

Also seachem matrix might be cheaper than the marine pure blocks. Although, the matrix is onmy available in rocks, not a space saving block like the other brand.

Excited to see the progress!

Thanks!

I want to run DC pumps on the returns, powerheads and skimmer. Just used to how quiet they are.

I can't hear our display and think everything might be off from time to time. That's with 10 powerheads, huge skimmer and two return pumps haha

Just ordered one 8x8x4 MarinePure block (was going to get two, but one seems like it'll be fine) and two 200 gallon boxes of salt :)

Screwed up on the stand...

Just took into account the front door width and not the office door...

The stand builder was really understanding and we came up with a method of having a few removable pieces that will allow it to get through the door with keeping the 60x36x32" footprint...

Put the stand off by a few days now with the redesign...

Back