New England Frag Farmer's Market 3/11/17

I have a space for you with the clubs- no worries. Looks like we should have even more clubs represented than in past years. It is going to be the biggest Frag Farmer's Market yet. It is coming together really nicely this year.

I just heard from Adam, (smiz on RC) that he is going to be resurrecting his tank top building gig for this year's FFM. He is building lids for tanks with dimensions under 24" and is going to take orders ahead of the FFM, to try to have them ready for the FFM, or at the FFM. I have one of his lids on my 100 gallon corner tank at home and it is BEAUTIFUL and well made (see pic below). I know a few other CT guys had them made as well and were happy! If you are interested, you can PM him here, or PM me and I can get you his contact info.

Last minute addition to an already ENORMOUS list of coral vendors:
Captain Cook's Corals - ME

Adam is going to be taking pre-orders for tops and bringing them to the FFM for pickup. He is not going to be taking orders at the FFM - shipping them is a pain! If people are interested, let me, or Adam, know ahead so he has time to build them!

Okay, my apologies here but it turns out the Nathan Hale Inn is not quiet as accommodating as I thought. They are choosing to not honor the rate that they quoted me on the phone last week. After a lengthy conversation on the phone with the woman who quoted me the price, it looks like you are on your own with the Nathan Hale Inn. The good news is that it looks like for about $100 you can book at the Best Western just down the street. They are actually going to hold their end of the bargain. Sorry for the confusion...

Here is the map so far. I have been adding companies every few days and there has been a bit of movement within the sellers as well but people have been asking, so here it is!

How about a raffle tease thanks to Logan over at ReefBreeders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been to a show like this. 3 hours from L.I. Really looking forward it. Sure hope the wife gives a little something extra in the allowance that week. Oh and the secret reef stash...Shhhhh don't tell.

It is definitely worth a 3 hr ride. With 60+ coral vendors and a bunch of companies as well, it is easily the biggest show in the Northeast. Everyone that comes out, comes back. The only thing that people regret is not bringing enough $...

Just added:
San Francisco Bay Brand to the growing list of companies that will be at the FFM this year. Welcome aboard!

Added
Marine Pure as a vendor as well. List of companies keeps getting bigger and bigger. Remember the movie Jaws? I'm going to need a bigger school...

Okay, my bad. I left Mike's Phyto and Rachel Fogle Art off the map. I definitely need a bigger school...

Brightwell will be at the FFM this year and I just got their donation into the raffle this year. Three of each of the following packages!

Less than a month to go and I have been fielding a number of questions via email, PM and text.

Why go to the FFM?

It is the single biggest aggregation of coral sellers you will ever see. The FFM has added a significant number of "dry goods" vendors as well but that is not included in the 60+ sellers, ALL selling corals. If you are looking for frags, or just want to hang out and talk reefs with some of the best growers in the area, you want the FFM. You will find everything from the basic "œweed" species to the coral that you have never heard of, or only seen on the internet. You can shop at anything from the Jason Fox to a hobbyist from NY who grows in his sump. NONE of the other area shows can offer even close to the sheer number of vendors or corals that the FFM can. This is the ultimate frag shopping experience.

How do I get tickets?
There are no advanced ticket sales for the FFM. Admission is $5 at the door and no one will be turned away. Spouses get in free. Children under 12 get in free. Bring the crew along. I think it is important to promote the hobby in terms of something you can do with your spouse, and even more so, with your kids. $5 isn't much to get into something like the FFM anyway, but free is even better! Doors open to the public at 11am and close at 5pm.

What should I bring?
Most people will bring along a cooler of some sort to hold their corals in for the day. Other than that, you don't need much. I always recommend bringing about 2-3X the money that you think you will spend. I have never heard of anyone who said "œI brought too much money." I usually hear quite the opposite. The FFM only happens once a year and it brings together the best coral vendors and hobbyists from all over the country. You will find what you are looking for and then three other things you can't leave without!

Can I sell coral at the FFM?

There are 60+ vendors at the FFM, all of whom signed up far in advance, and made a donation to the school project to reserve a space. In fairness to them, there will not be spaces provided for attendees to sell. If you are interested in selling next year, please get in touch with me at swansonjl@hotmail.com, ASAP, and I will add you to the contact list.

Where does all the money go?
The FFM is the main fundraiser for the E.O. Smith Coral project, which has been up and running for almost 15+ years now. I house 800+ gallons of coral growing systems at the school and involve students in the project in a number of ways. The admissions, and raffle proceeds, all go to help run the project. It gives me the ability to buy corals that students want to work with, and equipment that they need to carry out their experiments. With the success of the FFM over the past few years, I have also started giving out scholarships to graduating students who have shown interest in marine/conservation related fields. In the last two years I have given $2000 to graduating seniors and will be giving even more this year. The project, and the FFM, have become so successful that I have been able to help other teachers get the equipment that they need to start reef tanks in their classrooms and plan to continue to do so. In the end, all of the money goes into education. I am not a reef club, I am a teacher, and the FFM run by me as a part of the school.

How does the raffle work?
This year's raffle is the biggest one I have ever seen at the FFM, with some things in it that have never been in before. It is HUGE!
The main raffle will be pulled at 4pm, just before the market closes. Raffle tickets are available from a few people walking around during the day with the red FFM shirts on, or from me in room 107. The tickets are $1 each, 6 for $5 or 25 for $20. I do not sell tickets ahead of time, only at the show.
I have also started an "œEasy Raffle List" for people to sign up for on the computer in my room, or on the laptops by the entrance. You put in your information and get a number. Rather than write all of your info on all of your tickets (which is a PAIN!), you just put your number. If you are not there when you win, no worries, I can get it touch with you!

Do I have to be present to win?
For most items, no. I will ship any item that it is feasible to ship. Items that cannot be shipped, will be labeled with a "œNo Ship" tag. If I can't ship it and you live "œclose" we can work something out to get the item to you. If you are not sure, stop and see me and we can figure something out. The week after the FFM, I spend a fair amount of time packing and mailing things to people. As an attendee to other shows, I there have been a ton of raffles that I didn't enter because I wasn't going to be there to win. If you find something you really want, buy some tickets, throw them in and I will do my best to get it to you.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM, or an email and I will do what I can to help you out!

Thanks-
Jon

Back