New England Frag Farmer's Market 3/11/17

I always get the question "Do you think anyone is selling (insert name of dry good here)." Being a traditionally coral oriented show, the answer is sometimes "No." But this year Dirk from Dirk's Real Reef Store will be at the FFM, so if you need it, it will be there!

Last edited:
Now how about some of the unique? Rachel Fogel of Reef Weeds is going to donate this Zoa painting to the raffle and will also be at the FFM showing off and selling her reef inspired art work!
Wow those are some amazing painting and your telling me they glow in UV light?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wow those are some amazing painting and your telling me they glow in UV light?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Saw some from a different seller at Fragtoberfest, same deal painted with UV paint. Looks awesome under reef lighting.

Might have been Rick Correira who does similar UV sensitive paintings- very cool idea. He will be at the FFM as well. Cool guy, corals, tank bred fish and UV paintings. I don't know if he is bringing paintings with him but I know he is bringing fish and corals! He is room 120 along the first hallway if you want to peek! Rachel will be in the hallway along the back.

Hey everyone FUPA guys are coming in a little lite this year. Big rebuilding year as there were lots of tank upgrades and some mishaps in the group, hey we've all been there. But we still have some good stuff!!

CB Rainbow Infusions
Chungs Wambams
Sunny D's
FUPA Shrooms
Captain America Shrooms. (That's just what I'm calling them. Lol)
Scarface Paly morph...doesn't show in the picture but they have developed yellow highlights.

And a bunch of others. Stop by and shoot the breeze!!!

96b1ca2c6bccb6b156dd5b3c856cd38b.jpg

015171f68b07058d8b4cbb6053f27a54.jpg

090911ab0968add7284784d4b8ab31a5.jpg

46e43f0373fd7783b4f5195e1040c440.jpg

b208b71d8bd4f3d849fee2177412f9d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly one week to go! Anyone in the NE area should give the Frag Farmer's Market a shot. If you have never come out, you will not be disappointed. If you have come out in the past, you are already coming out, so I will see you there!
Here are some more questions that I have gotten on forums, PM's, emails, etc...

"I have to drive 3 hours to get to the Frag Farmers, is it really worth it?"
-I always look at a big show this way; I drive an hour to go to some of the shops I like best. What if I could drive 3 to see all of the fish stores in one place. With almost 70 coral vendors this year, this is the single largest grouping of corals you can find anywhere. No conference, no show, no swap focuses on just corals and has this many vendors. The room after room of corals at the FFM is overwhelming, even to me and I have been at them all!

"Will there be high end SPS at the FFM?"
-Yes, there are a TON of high end SPS at the FFM, sold by many of the vendors.

"Can I find easy to keep corals? I have a new tank and am just looking to fill some space."
-Yes, that is there too. Lots of the hobbyists farm easy stuff, GSP, mushrooms, leathers, xenia, etc...

"What are the typical prices at the FFM?"

-The prices here are better than you will find anywhere for three reasons. One, the shops always stock up to sell at shows and give better pricing than you would see in their store, or online. They often do package deals, 5 for $50, etc... Secondly, the buy-in for shops is so low, they don't feel the pressure to make back their set-up fee. Typical shows this size charge $100's just for the space, mine is still well under $100, and only $30 for hobbyists. People always ask why don't I charge more, and the answer is I'm not in this for the money. I just want to be able to run my coral project with the kids at the school. Lastly, with so many vendors, you can find the same coral at multiple stations. That competition causes better prices. Frags range anywhere from free (yes that happens!) all the way up to $1000 (most expensive I saw last year, and YES, it did sell).

"Do vendors accept credit cards?"
-Some do, some don't. Most of the bigger places do but many of the hobbyists do not. I always suggest cash, its the sure thing. How much is a tricky question. Let me give you a word problem to describe it (sorry it's a teacher thing):

When you leave home, you will say I am going to spend $X. When you get here you will spend that. Then you will see two more things that you need, then two more after that... You will visit the ATM across the street and take out more $. You will come having spent $X + $Y, and wishing you had bought that one piece for $Z that you had never seen before. How much trouble are you in with your wife?

"Where does all the money from the FFM go?"
-ALL of the proceeds go to support the E.O. Smith High School Coral Project. I teach my students about corals, aquaculture and conservation by having them help me run the schools coral farm. The FFM has become so successful that I have been able to start helping other schools get going with similar projects in their classrooms. I have also used the proceeds from the FFM to give out $2000 in scholarships over the last two years.

See you all in a week!
Jon

Last edited:
fitch4 I thinks it's great to see a teacher do this much for their students. As a parent of two kids in college (yes I still have a little reef money) I know first hand how few teachers really go above and beyond. Fortunately both of my kids had an opportunity to experience a few good teachers that had a profound influence on them. I'm looking forward to attending the show but supporting your work as well. I'll be sure to have a few batteries for your student as well. 1 week from now I should be back home with a bunch of goodies. Looking forward to it.

Jon
Thanks for the invite. I don't have 10 posts so I'm not allowed to pm yet.
How much is a table? Permit or license to sell? I'm from NH and I'm not familiar with Ct laws but I found this

Vendors at Flea Markets, Craft Shows, Fairs, Etc. Must Obtain a Connecticut Sales and Use Tax Permit
You must obtain a Sales and Use Tax Permit from the Connecticut Department of Revenue Service if you will be selling at a flea market, craft show, trade show, antique show, fair, etc. in Connecticut even if you will only be making sales for one day. You must display the permit prominently in your booth or table.

You must obtain a Sales and Use Tax Permit before making any sales. The requirement to obtain a permit applies to individuals, corporations, partnerships, and all other business entities that will make sales in this state, regardless of the number of sales that will be made or the amount of tax that will be collected.

As a seller, you are responsible to collect sales and use taxes and you are liable for their payment whether or not you collect them as required from your customers. You must file returns and pay the full amount of tax due DRS.

Note: Failure to obtain a tax permit will result in a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment of not more than three months, or both, for each offense.

Civil penalties will be imposed for failure to obtain or renew a seller's permit. A penalty of $250 applies for the first day the person engages in business without a seller's permit, and a penalty of $100 for each following day that the person engages in business without a seller's permit. The penalty may be waived if the person proves that the failure to obtain or renew the seller's permit was due to reasonable cause and was not intentional or due to neglect.

If DRS determines that taxes are owed to the State of Connecticut and that all administrative or judicial remedies are exhausted or have lapsed, DRS will not issue or renew a license or seller's permit until the applicant pays the taxes or makes an arrangement with DRS to pay the taxes. This also applies to cigarette dealer's, distributor's, or manufacturer's licenses, and to tobacco products distributor's and unclassified importer's licenses.

Is the cost included in the table price or should I get my own permit?

Jack

Might have been Rick Correira who does similar UV sensitive paintings- very cool idea. He will be at the FFM as well. Cool guy, corals, tank bred fish and UV paintings. I don't know if he is bringing paintings with him but I know he is bringing fish and corals! He is room 120 along the first hallway if you want to peek! Rachel will be in the hallway along the back.

It was Rick, but Rachel donated a painting to our raffle and it is beautiful! Love both of their artwork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely seems fishy but legit question I think. Though a little late to be trying to get in as a vendor.

I love the fact that Jon works so hard to put on such a positive event for our reef community and the cause is even greater that the proceeds go toward education and further conservation in our reefs!!! Keep up the amazing work everyone. Reef on!

i look at it as an investment. i am just reinvesting in my tank anyway so it's NFP. i make no gains and have losses. so as far as i am concerned i'm covered and just up there for the good vibes and good time.. .. i am gonna have trouble sleeping for he next 5 nights.. just the thoughts of all this Coral in one location...

Back