New to reefing need help with plumbing.

thanks, i will take a look. how do you find out how much flow rate your tank needs? how much flow rate is good for a 50 gallon?

well i use an ehiem 1262 on my 50g cube. i could use a pump thats less powerful and be fine. somwhere around 600 gallons an hour should be fine. your main source of circulation will be done by powerheads like koralia, tunze, ecotech. depending on what you like.

just an fyi though it would probably be best to have something like an overflow box or something to cover up the hole you drill for the drain. basically what ever you choose you want to make sure little critters like snails or something can't get in and clog it.

591e01cb.jpg

here is a full tank shoot with the stand. I think I might go with a self build overflow box. or put a screen around the elbow to stop the snails going into the pipes.

i would have to agree with sleepy on this one. if i was starting a tank where i had to drill holes i would personally go with something like that.

I did a lot of study last night, decided to go with the herbie style. Placed an order with RBS this morning, I went and ordered a overflow box that rates for 1200 gph. Will have two returns instead of only one.

Just a list of what others I have ordered:

JBJ auto top off system ( kalk water )

BRS duel reactor ( planing on running GFO and carban)

BRS dosing pumps ( alkalinity )

BM Nac 7 cone skimmer

Also I might build a custom sump too. The sump I have now is too small for the setup I want. Would love to have more space to work with.

I will post pic when it's time to drill the tank.:D

Hey guys, I am looking into a water pump for the set up, do you have any
Recommendation on something that's really quiet and cost effective?

Back