Nikon D70s macro lens suggestions

mzeinstr

i just took these with my new D70s. i'm looking to get a good macro lens for use with aquarium photography. can anyone help me with their experiences with this camera and a good macro lens?

gramma.jpg

redlipandbluemushrooms.jpg

yellowpolyps.jpg

i did not turn off the pumps and this is with actinics on only.

thanx.marti

I have the 60mm for my D70S.. I wish I saved a little more for the 105.. The 60 has a very short depth of field.. Makes it a little tricky, and takes a lot of practice.

The 60 is good though, the detail is amazing.. Just a little shorter depth of field then I really wanted..

ps. stop putting lipstick on your blenny :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6830524#post6830524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nagel
I have the 60mm for my D70S.. I wish I saved a little more for the 105.. The 60 has a very short depth of field.. Makes it a little tricky, and takes a lot of practice.

The 60 is good though, the detail is amazing.. Just a little shorter depth of field then I really wanted..

ps. stop putting lipstick on your blenny :lol:

DOF gets even shorter with the 105...

;)

We also use a Nikon D70 and recently purchased the Nikkor micro 60mm f2.8d lens for it. It is a true macro lens and is super sharp! Have a look:

Red mushroom coral:
33_redmush.jpg

33_redmush2.jpg

Red mushroom under actinics :love: :
33_redmush3.jpg

33_redmush4.jpg

Tube anenome (cant get the colors to show... very bright orange):
33_tube.jpg

Green Star Polyps (hard to shoot they move too much in the current):
33_greenstar.jpg

Blue mushroom coral:
33_bluemush2.jpg

33_bluemush.jpg

;)

i have the 60mm nikkor, but i definitely wish i had sprung for the 105. I'm definitely going to pick it up soon.

I love the 105mm micro.
Click on the red house to view my pics. Pretty much all the the close up are done with that lens.

that new VR lens looks promising. It would be awesome to be able to take macros hand held or on a monopod. :)

thanks for all the help, i think i will go with the 105mm, wish i had $1,000 and would wait for the newer one, but you know, bringing that one out may drop the price of the other one.....

how close can this lens get to the subject?

marti

In my experience, one foot for the autofocus, but I've gotten within 8" by manually focusing..

Go with a 90/105 macro lens for reasons that have already been discussed. IMHO, VR or IS wouldn't help macro at any significant levels since one of the major issue is actually back/forth movement that's moving the plane of focus. VR/IS can not correct this. In addition, IF they did manage to design a VR/IS that can keep up with the speed of up/down movement, the gyro and actuator mechanism will need to be so responsive that it will generate vibration itself and drain your batteries in no time.

On the top of that, VR/IS won't assist in subject motion which is also another constant problem in macro photography.

All the macro lens offerings from Tamron, Sigma, Canon and Nikon are all EXCELLENT, you can't really go wrong even if you randomly picked one. Would I? Why not!

Does the "buy Nikon glass" rule apply here. There is a 100% price difference in some cases.

I am also lookin for macro for my D50. I got the somewhat crummy 28-80 with my package and am holding out for the new impossible to get VR zoom. This however leaves me with no macro and no money for one!

Bean

Does the "buy Nikon glass" rule apply here. There is a 100% price difference in some cases.
Nope. The Sigma 180 macro is build like a tank. The macro lens from 3rd parties like Tamron and Sigma is in a totally different class to the normal stuff they also produce.

I shoot with a Sigma 180 macro lens. If I was to do it again, would I go for the Sigma? Yes in a heartbeat.

Not to be the maroon of they day, but can you offer a specific model or two, so that I don't waste more of your time asking more stupid questions :)

I am about to give up and buy one of those 2 element Nikon screw on macro rings for the front of my lens. I just want to take good pictures of my little critters!

It'll be a waste of money if you get 105 and 60mm. Sure you can use a 60mm for portrait too but a 50mm f/1.8 will do just fine for 100bucks.
No, 105mm is fine for fish. I use it all the time. It's too long for the whole tank but not too long for anything in the tank. I wouldnt use the 105mm for portrait though, it just too sharp :D. It'll show every blemishes, pimples, wrinkles, ect on the face of the subject. And you have to stand about 10' away.

So to start off I can buy the 50mm 1.8 and get some decent fish shots.... I can then save up and get the 105mm If I feel I need it, and then add the no VR zoom in a year or two to round out my bag?

Does this sound like a Plan or am I missing something? My crummy 28-80 does not do macro.

Back