Nominations

As far as your comment Andy if the new positions are not elected then they are not part of the BOD and do not have any authority to vote and if the President choses to replace them he has the authority. You may want to reread it. If we elect them then they all have the same authority

It only means they do not ahve the authority to vote as a baord member on board based decisions, which should not be too many. The truth is far more things should be a vote from the general membership, in which they do have a vote. Anyone can make a motion for something, and as long as it is seconded and voted on by the membership, it really doesn't matter what the board thinks.

Again the job of the board is to guide and adminsitrate the clubs decisions.

Board members gather information, take care of finances and legal items, and coordinate the clubs efforts as a whole. They also ensure equal opportunity is afforded to all members wishing to participate and vote on an issue.

PR/Events is a comittee chair IMO. they have a specific task...overseen by the board. So is IT..a specific function..overseen by the board.

This is copied & pasted from the 3 new BOD position thread

As has been discussed on a few other threads, some members feel that adding a few more members to the BOD may be helpful. As was also described in another thread, to get this on the ballot, it must be voted on, to get it voted on we need to present a proposal, with clearly defined roles and responsibilities, and signatures of member sponsors. I am starting this thread to organize these ideas and start to develop the proposal and recruit sponsors. Opposing viewpoints are welcome and we will all get to express our viewpoints at the meeting if we get this to a vote. Some of the suggested positions included:

IT Coordinator-Website development, maintaince, and all things computer
Event Coordinator-Coordinate events to include the swap and trips.
PR Director-help with events, publications, good will projects

To keep this organized and respectful I’d like you to list:
1.Yes we need them/no we don’t

2.What you think the position(s) should be called

3.What the responsibilities of the position(s) would be

4.Should they be elected positions or appointed position(s), and if so by whom

5.Yes you would/no you would not be willing to “sponsor” this to be voted on at the next meeting.

Sean

Here are my thoughts on this..

1.IT Coordinator-Website development, maintaince, and all things computer
This position should be appointed not elected & here is why. There are probably only a handful of people on this forum or in this club that could truly do this job & do it effectivly. Honestly this person would more than likely have to volunteer for this position.

2.Event Coordinator-Coordinate events to include the swap and trips.
PR Director-help with events, publications, good will projects

Now this position should actually just be 1 & it should be voted on & be actually part of the BOD. Reason why is most LFS hosted meetings would be planned by the Event Coord, along with any trips, or special excursions.
If there is 1 person handling this then you know who to hold accountable.
This is the same person who in my mind would be handling the majority of the group buys & special discounts as well.

I think this position along with all other BOD voting should be handled & complete by the 28th at the BBQ meeting at Jim&Nicks. After the BOD id elected then when as a whole could either look for volunteers to handle the IT issues & plan accordingly.

I believe all the he said she saids & obvious struggle to retain power is putting a sour taste in peoples mouths. Change is going to happen its ineviatable so lets get it over with & let MTRC move ahead & see what the future has in store & find a way to make all members new & old feel welcome on these boards & part of the MTRC community.

Thanks
Jason.

Hi, All. I have not read all of the posts in this thread, and I am no longer a current member (I got out of the hobby -- at least temporarily, and let my membership expire), but as a former President, I thought I would toss in my $.02 on the new proposed elected positions:

1) I think the by-laws are important. We make the by-laws (by a vote), and as such we make rules that we think would be good for the club as a whole. By we, I mean the membership. We have voted on by-law changes in the past, which is why the election is in March now instead of November. There are lots of good things in there that deal with what to do if an officer goes awol, how oversight of the money is supposed to work, etc. Things that if we follow help all members have confidence that no funny business is going on behind the scenes. So in general, I like the by-laws because they provide some "confidence" that the club has a structure and order and a form of accountability and transparency.

2) Re the new positions, those were brought up back when I was pres. We decided at that time not to do it for several reasons:
a) Many clubs were having trouble finding the dedicated folks to volunteer for enough people just to fill 2 or 3 slots, and we thought that one year might be a "fat" year where lots would want to run, but other years would be "lean" and having more elected positions to fill would make things more difficult.
b) The proposed positions can be appointed (which is generally what we have done in the past) and that has worked fairly well.
c) The event coordinator falls in line more with what other officers should do. The talk back when I was pres was that folks ultimately wanted the pres and/or vice pres managing our biggest event (the swap). That was strained while I was pres on my second term because the vice pres got a job and moved away, and I got swamped with school starting in the summer that I didn't know would happen when I started my term. We had to consequently get a new vice pres, and he ended up doing a bunch of the swap work (Brian Verdine). That said, we still managed to do well for that swap. The idea for managing the swap was to have a swap committee that the pres/vice pres would chair and that all interested parties could participate in. If you elect this position, wouldn't it be easier to call it the vice pres responsibility and leave it at that? The ultimate responsibility for making sure things happen falls on the Pres so if an event coordinator didn't turn out to work out well, it would fall back to the core BOD anyway. So I guess I don't see the value in adding more positions. That said, the By-laws allow for the membership deciding to add them if the majority wishes that to happen.
d) If you add the positions and they don't quite work out, then the membership might want to vote them back to the old way (what Wayne suggested) -- but that would simply be changing by-laws more at a whim. IMO, I don't think it is useful to do that.

The above is just my opinion.

Another opinion of mine is that a call was made on here somewhere for folks who accept nominations to set forth their plans for the club. I think that is very useful because it lets people get to know who they are voting for and what kinds of things they might be voting for.

Things that we did for the year I took over as pres was to create a steady drumbeat of "valuable things" for the reef club members. We introduced:

a) topics at meetings
b) a structure to meetings where the first part is people introducing themselves so everyone got to know everyone else
c) adding "perks" to the meetings (e.g. free corals, other stuff)
d) establishing the year-long meeting schedule during the first month or two of the year so people could plan ahead and know what is coming.
e) grow the swap (e.g. bring in an outside speaker)

Those are just some examples. I don't recall exactly, but I'm fairly sure that was part of the "platform" that I ran on at the time. Other BOD members elected at the time felt similarly, and so that is what we tried to do once voted in.

Things overall went pretty well, I think. Not everything worked, and things could have been better in areas, but in general I think we got things rolling and a decent rhythm going.

This is not meant in any negative way -- I simply thought a little perspective could be helpful during this discussion about the bylaws, candidates, and what to do about new officers. I wish you all the best.

Jack

Jack,

These are all in line with my thinking. You have put it more eloquently than I and have a credability as a past president. Thank you for taking time to give us your input.

This thread really needs to have a go back to point & something we can all laugh at & get things on a lighter note. So when the blood gets to boiling just come back & look at this. He could be the next President.
icelfi1104_468x762.jpg
[/

Ok I got a PM about my comment and can see some people have took what I said the wrong way. I was talking about the U.S. President not Wayne.

I've not been part of the club since 07 when we moved to Montgomery, but you are my peeps. I have fond memories of my time in Nashville and the early days of the MTRC, so I only wish the best for the club. I helped clean the diapers, so I want to see it graduate med school, too:D.

Jack pretty well put it as well as it could have been put. The bylaws were the only real form of structure we had in the first few years. If we wanted to do something outside the bylaws, we'd have a vote and change them. As the group size increases, you have to be careful how many controls you pull, but if the majority of people agreed, it got changed. When I was P, VP, treasurer, and secretary, I probably let a lot of things slide, but those were the dark, early years. I was too lazy to try to hold rules, so I got lax. I was just enamored at the fact that people actually seemed to read something I wrote:D (work evals tell me to stop using email for communication unless I'm sending something-apparently, no one reads them... bubble popped...).

For the club to last, the club has to be what the club wants to be. As it grows, thought, it develops a responsibility to the members who have paid in to the club to make sure it lasts. We didn't have a growing sum in the account and were just getting started, so growing pains forced and allowed adjustment. We could buy a few colonies for fragging and bring the account down until the next swap pretty easily;).

Only one of the BOD from the original cast was really serious about making the club a powerhouse. He didn't stay on the BOD very long, but his push helped get us moving and rolling. Most decided they didn't want anything as 'serious', but he pushed the bylaws. I believe it was one of, if not the first vote of the club. He had a hand in the early days or foundation of several clubs, so he knew where to start.

Communication is one of the keys to keeping things moving. When we started, just about everyone was on RC, so getting the word out was relatively easy. So many had wanted an actual club for so long that meetings for the first year or so always had a good number of people without even trying (then dropped off to the usual 10-12 people). Every meeting was a frag swap. The host might frag from his/her tank. People would share pictures of thier tanks and arrange swaps and purchases for the next meeting.

Getting emails out to club members and prospective members gave another avenue for communication. We may have even done a vote at some point via email (or we may have just talked about it, I know ETRC did their first voting via email back in 04 or 05). We had both LFS' working pretty hard for us, too. Emerald Bay led the push initially, then the Critter stepped in as a heavy hitter for the club. Getting the word out was easy because it was new and everyone was drooling about someplace to talk about their addiction on a monthly basis with other crack heads.

Once communication is made, though, it is up to the club to make things happen. We had a pretty regular group of hosts. With fishdoc, myself, Mimi, coralreefing, reewik, and foggy, we had the calendar covered. (December meetings were held in Clarksville-John drove down to every meeting we had, it was only fair to give him one month off;)). Add in at least one LFS meeting per LFS a year, and once a month passed too quickly. The LFS' saw the largest attendances. Any time we had a meeting at a LFS, we brought in pizza or some other fare, drinks, and offered coral frags to new members. We'd offer to purchase larger corals to frag at the meeting (a softie and a SPS), and all current members would get at least one frag (as well as new members). The LFS' usually made us very good deals (or gave) on the corals we cut, then they'd stay open and turn a nice dime that night (helps having a group of niche audience at hand). New members would save their membership fees that night because of the corals stocked and the discounts. We'd do a talk on cutting and demonstrate, letting people cut their own if they wished. These always saw in excess of 20 people (usually over 30). New membership would increase, and people who normally didn't come to meetings would come and reconnect with everyone (usually bringing them out more often, further strengthening the club). The club is only as strong as the members make it;).

If no one is willing to host, though, it is difficult to offer variety (which is largely what held us together). Seeing so many different set ups and the same coral in 15 different tanks (looking 15 different ways-Mike Paletta blue from fishdoc coming to mind) kept people coming.

Frag swaps are somewhat analogous in clubs in the beginning. We were all so ripe for something like that, the first swap in Chattanooga was a blow out success for all involved (buyers, sellers, and the club). It was easy to have success in the early days because everyone was so hungry for cheap coral and had no other outlets. As the swap grew (and as MTRC grew), groups split out and formed their own. Then there is more opportunity for others to experience the crack habit formed and enforced by a frag swap, so numbers begin to diminish at similar events (and clubs). (What's it say that I resort to comparisons to crack with every mention of the 'hobby'?)

Sorry for rambling, but been thinking about the good ole days. Got some things on my mind (bad news today), so rambling is good therapy. With the number of people with strong ideas, it should be no problem keeping the club moving up. If an entire office of like minded people made it into the BOD, it becomes a one sided club. The only way to prevent that is to put your name in the hat and stand up for what you want. If you don't want the formal side of it to get more formal, make amendments. Getting a representative sample response from a larger club can be problematic (we have a hard time in Montgomery with a much smaller club via email), but majority rules. Until then, bylaws and elected officials try to run by the rules;). Anything fun becomes work as it grows (think of children for a good example;)). I try to help out on another forum, and as it's grown, the same problems present elsewhere begin to appear. Friendly everyday banter can't be as friendly. The community grows, which benefits all, but always comes at a cost. The catch 22's of life...

Ramble on. My ramble is now off;).

I know I left out rcmike and probably a few others when I mentioned those who hosted regularly. Sorry bout that;). Some of my favorite stories come out of Mike's experiences (overflow, side of tank, Dremel, tank full:D).

Great meeting. Thank you again to the out going board.

Big thanks for the awesome raffle prize! :) :) :)

Back