Nook's Reef!!

Going on the Wagon!!

Going on the Wagon!!

Well, we all have our share of difficulties and while I might not like to admit it, I am not different than anyone else. It has been a long battle, but I have to say that the bottle got the best of me.

It was embarrassing buying this brand of vodka at Dierberg's every couple of weeks

DSCN3130.jpg~original

I finally hit a low, low bottom and the pain was severe

DSCN2423.jpg~original

BarLamp.jpg~original

When I thought I was down and out, I reached out to an old friend named GEO to help me up from the gutter. He agreed to be my ReefAholics Anonymous (RA) Sponsor. GEO is the second dude from the right

DSCN1151.jpg~original

So, to help me sober up, he built me something that would help me kick the bottle of embarrassing vodka once and for all. It is called the GEO DENITRATOR

DSCN3118.jpg~original

DSCN3147.jpg~original

I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel

DSCN3137.jpg~original

DSCN3149.jpg~original

DSCN3141.jpg~original

DSCN3140.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is really nice reactor Dave.. Here is my reactor as promised.
Picture next to 20lbs CO2
DSC_0001-4.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is huge:D Got to cover that nice acrylic up with black cloth like me:lol: Then when your friends come over you can take the cloth off and show them pretty, clean acrylic!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751565#post15751565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
That thing is huge:D Got to cover that nice acrylic up with black cloth like me:lol: Then when your friends come over you can take the cloth off and show them pretty, clean acrylic!

Working on it bro...

I was wondering how you preped the walls and what they were painted with to protect from possible mold issues. Sorry if you hav already answered that, I skimmed thru looking for it but did not notice anything. Great build, Thanks for sharing!

I was wondering how you preped the walls and what they were painted with to protect from possible mold issues.

Oil-based paint on the walls and 2" blue styrofoam on the ceiling that is painted as well. I used silicone on all the cracks and joints to make sure it was sealed up tight.

I run a 1 ton split AC in that room and have fresh air intake and output 24/7, so no mold yet and the room is comfortable.

Nanook,
i was looking somewhere and i saw your geo skimmer, and you were talking about a MRC skimmer that you have as well. what ever happened to it? did you use it and 2 were too many, or what was the deal?

just wondering, thanks

Nanook,
i was looking somewhere and i saw your geo skimmer, and you were talking about a MRC skimmer that you have as well. what ever happened to it? did you use it and 2 were too many, or what was the deal?

just wondering, thanks

The HSA-5000 did a good job, but not as good as the big GEO by a long shot. It was also a pain to clean. Since Geo modified this beast with the beckett feed and NW recirculating, it rocks big time.

Tank and eqiupment looks great any update?

Still tuning the denitrator at present. Corals are looking good in spite of nitrates=17.6 on Lamotte kit. Phosphate 0.05 with GFO. Officially off the vodka now for about 7 weeks.

One big change was removing the black sand from the cube tank and replacing with special grade reef sand, about 1-2" all the way around the tank. Going to remove the black sand from the long tank this Wednesday and replace with the special grade reef sand. I have to say the black sand looked nice when it was new, but looked like junk after 1.5 years:( The white sand makes the tank, fish and corals look a LOT better, IMO.

I removed the coralline algae from the long tank and cube tank backs, that makes it look better, IMO as well. If I could get my nitrates down and keep them down, I am sure my acros would look a lot better than they do now. If that happens, there are a few SPS that I want to collect that have died due to my learning curve the last year and a half.

Thanks for the interest!

I'm sure your tanks will look so much brighter after your done replacing the sand. I love the way black sand brings out the color and the contrast it gives off though.

Back