Nook's Reef!!

I am debating treating the whole system (~1200 gallons) with Interceptor to kill off the redbugs once and for all. I am not wanting to do a massive water change afterwards though, any problems with this? I will have to remove as many shrimp and crabs with traps as possible.

Dave, i did 3 treatment in my tank and the water change still 10% without any problem. I didn't change my water after 24hrs and my corals didn't seem to have any problem either. You will need to remove your shrimp, and hermit or else they will die after the 2nd or third treatment...

I have three huge cleaners in the cube and three huge fire shrimps in the long tank, have a few emerald crabs here and there and a few small hermits. I have a LOT of pods in the fuge, but I think they will make a comeback from what I have read.

I will have to drain my skimmer and take carbon/GFO reactors offline when I do the dosing. I don't plan on doing a water change until after the third treatment if things look good. How long after the dose til I can resume my skimmer, GFO and carbon?

Dave, don't drain the skimmer or the GFO. I kept mine running except lower the water level inside the skimmer so it will not over flow. You can run the carbon 24hrs later....

Dave, don't drain the skimmer or the GFO. I kept mine running except lower the water level inside the skimmer so it will not over flow. You can run the carbon 24hrs later....

Well, everything I read said turn it off or it will remove the medication. Since my skimmer is air fed via a beckett feed and a NW recirculating pump, it wil produce skimmate and remove the med, won't it?

Also, I am looking at three treatments, so I guess I should just go with the standard dosing?

Dave,
I got red bugs in my system twice...now every new coral gets dipped in interceptor before getting put in the tank.

Red bugs are livebearers,(meaning no eggs) and they do swim, fast. However, they cannot live longer than a week without acros to eat, and they are acro specific, no acros = starvation.

With all that in mind, I personally would feel comfortable in your sytem with dosing both of your display tanks only, not the fuge, (it doesnt have any acros as I recall. If it does..pull them and place them in a display). Any that escape the treatment wont survive long without the acros to eat.

I say this because with your system designed the way it is, I honestly dont think that any redbugs could make the journey from your sump back into a display. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you only have them in the cube, and not the long display. If you've got them in the long display, I'd bet money you transferred them to it from the cube via frags.

I only needed to do two treatments for redbugs and that wiped em all out of my system...It wont hurt to do a full three treatments to get them from your tanks though...

Nick

Thanks, Nick! From what I've read, you should treat ALL of the water as they can swim anywhere in the system, or be pumped anywhere in the system. With that line of thinking, I believe dosing the whole system would afford more peace of mind. Also, if I isolated the fuge, the 400w lamp would nuke that tank unless I kept it off for a few days.

Dave, i agree to treat the whole system if you have enough interceptor to run 3 treatments. The pods will come back after a month or two. As for the skimmer, i turn off the venturi pump for 8hrs then turn it back on. For your skimmer, just don't feed any air to the becket and the venturi pump for 8hrs. The med kick in hard after couple hrs into treatment. You will need to run the med through all the equipment that you have running in the system just incase the RB reproduce and you have may some eggs in the reactor.

Well, I will get enough Interceptor, so that won't be an issue:D

As for the skimmer, the feed pump goes through the beckett and the Baldor NW sucks air in through the venturi. How would I run it without making skimmate?

the becket have to get the air from some where right? Can't you plug it ? you can turn the NW baldor off. You will circulate the water through your skimmer to make sure there is no RB inside the skimmer body..

OK, I got it now:D Turn the Baldor NW off and just run the water through the beckett, but plug off the four air holes:)

375g and 470g tanks, skimmer 40g, fuge 145g, sumps half full 130g, calcium reactor maybe 10g=1170g-ish.....so, you think 3 or 4 tabs every 7 days?

375g and 470g tanks, skimmer 40g, fuge 145g, sumps half full 130g, calcium reactor maybe 10g=1170g-ish.....so, you think 3 or 4 tabs every 7 days?

Are you sure your skimmer holds 40g? Mine is 16" body 65" tall and it holds 60g+.. But 4 large tablets sound about right :D.

My total volume around 600g i did 2 tabs on the first, 3 tabs on the second and 2 tabs on the third. No one get hurt except the RB...

My skimmer is 18" acrylic by 3ft main tube, total height is 60"...so, not sure what that is:D

Four tabs sounds right. Do it every 7 days, leave the skimmer on, but without bubbles, leave the GFO on, remove carbon for 24 hours. Thanks for the help, dude:)

Back