orange and blue clown?

smartwater101

I came across an orange clownfish with blue markings at my LFS. Its body shape is similar to a tomato clown... But its a deeper orange across the body with 3 blue misbars. Anyone know what it is? Unfortunately, it clearly has a swim bladder problem so I didn't pick it up... But I've never seen this color variation and was hoping someone might know what it is.

Definitely not it. The pics there seem yellowish and the bars look cyan ( almost white)
The fish I saw at the LFS was a consistent orange and the short misbars are a deep blue.

Paid special attention to the light colors at the LFS. Sometime the actinic color at the LFS can really cause color to pop. Other time the reddish color of tube like can cause color change and brighten some of the orange and red coloration. I have seen LFS that have actinic and red light tube on the fish tank. The color of fish under these light are exceptional but in normal light color, then are just garden variety fish.

After taking another look I realize the clown doesn't even have bars. Just blue spots. Also, it resembles more of a Maroon than a tomato. I'll post a pic soon.

Last edited:
blueclownfish1.jpg

blueclownfish2.jpg

wow, that fish is so interesting looking! I, for one, have not seen anything like it! I noticed you're in Los Angeles ... do you mind posting the LFS? Would love to see it in person if it's still there :)

@Jamie1210 I actually purchased it. (I couldn't help it) It swims very strangely and I'm afraid it might be permanent since its almost 2 inches long and from what I've read, swim bladder problems arise early in development and (if not treated) can be permanent.

It's a maroon with some cool color hope everything with the swim bladder is ok would like to see its coloring as an adult

That's cool that you got it ...hopefully you can give it a great home--sounds like it needs some TLC! Would def. like to see more pics of it when you can!

It def needs some TLC! I'm currently building a 15 gallon rimless tank that I'll put it in. (At least until I find a larger home, the 15g will be better than the little holding tank at the LFS anyway)

It is, unfortunately, in pretty bad shape. As you can see in the pic, it's spine has either been broken at some point or perhaps it was a birth defect. Either way, the poor thing cant bend its body.

blueclownfish3.jpg

Maybe its healthy and just handicapped. Time will tell. I'll post more pics soon.

Last edited:
Awwhh, that's so sad. I hope you can give the poor fella a nice forever home^^
my lfs often throws out fish with healed injuries which leave scars or deformed fish... I can't help but take them of their hands for a cheap price.

@toontjuh I actually asked if I could get a discount since it is clearly not in great shape. The guy got irritated and said "there are plenty of other clowns to choose from" and that "this one is totally fine." (The guys there are usually pretty rude to begin with, so I wasn't expecting much.) But I happily paid full price. It is a pretty interesting color combo.

Some of the babies in a patch will develope abnormalities, crooked spine and the like. I think this is due to poor water quality or genetic problem. I think this is a problem here. Ablut poor servide, crossed LFS employee, I would tell the ownner. If that person is the ownner then just don't buy there anymore.

@jamie1210 I tried some Spirulina soaked in Garlic Guard, it became a little more active but didn't eat. I'll try some frozen mysis later.

@OrionN yeah the more I watch it the more I believe its permanent. And I probably won't be going back to the LFS. The old lady there is nice but the the rest of the employees (and owner) treat customers like a burden.

Back