pa1ntbru5h's 300+ Gallon Build Thread

Here's a pic of the tank with rocks until I can take more pics tonight

xq8JlcYl.jpg

Nice scape! Did you use anything to connect the pieces or are those just stacked? Some of those pieces look to "gravity-defying" so I'm guessing you used some mortar and/or glue.

Are you planning to go bare-bottom?

Nice scape! Did you use anything to connect the pieces or are those just stacked? Some of those pieces look to "gravity-defying" so I'm guessing you used some mortar and/or glue.

Are you planning to go bare-bottom?

Yup keeping it bare bottom.
The rockscape was created by JesterSix
He used MasterEmaco cement to piece everything together.

I'm never happy with my own rockscape creations so I figured I'd have someone else make it this time around.
If I gotta stare at it for the next 10+ years I want to be happy with it.

Last edited:
Nice!

One thing on your return/manifold, it looks like you have the check valve below/before your manifold goes back to the tank... if so, the check valve will only stop water from going back through your return pump, but it will still go through any open ball valves in the manifold. Not sure if you have another check valve hiding, but just trying to save you from an unhappy surprise later.

I'm right behind you in my build, so I'll be starting a thread posting my progress soon. Another Crystal Dynamics build thread :D

Nice!

One thing on your return/manifold, it looks like you have the check valve below/before your manifold goes back to the tank... if so, the check valve will only stop water from going back through your return pump, but it will still go through any open ball valves in the manifold. Not sure if you have another check valve hiding, but just trying to save you from an unhappy surprise later.

I'm right behind you in my build, so I'll be starting a thread posting my progress soon. Another Crystal Dynamics build thread :D

You're absolutely right about the check valve!
The sump is able to hold all the water in an emergency shut off case.

The check valve was added mainly for maintenance purposes when I manually shut off the return without losing too much water in the display. In that case I will manually shut off the manifold with the ball valve.

Awesome! Can't wait to see your build thread!

You're absolutely right about the check valve!
The sump is able to hold all the water in an emergency shut off case.

The check valve was added mainly for maintenance purposes when I manually shut off the return without losing too much water in the display. In that case I will manually shut off the manifold with the ball valve.

Awesome! Can't wait to see your build thread!

I'm doing the same with my check valves... just for convenience since you can never rely on those things.

Can't wait to share! Just waiting to have some progress to share.

Well done on the plumbing. Almost don't want to put the doors on the stand it looks so good.

Thanks! I agree.. It's so pretty to look at but it'll all be hidden behind the doors.
Oh well, I'll get to see it from time to time hahaa.
Gotta keep the kid out. He's starting to get into everything now that he can walk!

Back