PLEASE check out your intended fish purchases here first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have an 85 gal with 100 lbs of live rock. Right now, I have a yellow tang, a striped hawkfish, and a set of one black and one true clown. The clowns have been together for around 4 years.

I am looking at adding a bonded pair of canary blenny's, a Fuji midnight angel (or a Nox angel) plus a flame angel. I am planning on adding the two angels at the same time.

Will I be ok? I know dwarf angels can fight with each other but I have a ton of rock, good flow, and plenty of room. I feed a variety of foods, basically rotating through frozen, fresh, pellets, and flakes so they don't get burnt out.

Hi,
I have an 85 gal with 100 lbs of live rock. Right now, I have a yellow tang, a striped hawkfish, and a set of one black and one true clown. The clowns have been together for around 4 years.

I am looking at adding a bonded pair of canary blenny's, a Fuji midnight angel (or a Nox angel) plus a flame angel. I am planning on adding the two angels at the same time.

Will I be ok? I know dwarf angels can fight with each other but I have a ton of rock, good flow, and plenty of room. I feed a variety of foods, basically rotating through frozen, fresh, pellets, and flakes so they don't get burnt out.

Remembering, of course, that dwarf angels are not reef safe, as long as they are added together, you should be fine.

Hi there! Thanks so much for answering the newb questions :)

My husband and I are ready to stock. We are running a 150 gallon With 160lbs of live rock. A 30 gallon sump, Reef Octopus Diablo skimmer rated 160 gallons, and 3 250 MHs and 4 T5s.

We added a pair of adult black perculas a couple weeks ago; its time for more stocking!

Our tentative plan, I'd appreciate your input. In order of appearance, we hope:

Pair of cleaner shrimps
Longnose butterfly
Six or Twelve line wrasse
Flame angel
Hippo tang
Purple tang
and the Mandarin Dragonet after 6 or 12 months

Sarah

Thanks for the input, but you have any idea's other then that won't work?

I have a fish only 265 gallon aquarium, 75 gallon sump with a Reeflo 3600 GPH. Very open setup I can post some pic's if you would like.

So far here is a list of fish I like.
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Achilles Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Naso Tang
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Sohal Tang

One question would be is the Naso Tang and the Blonde Naso Tang going to get a long.?

Would it be a bad idea to put a trigger in the mix?

What other fish would be a good fish for this setup? I'm very open to peoples idea's,

Thanks

Hey there,
55g FOWLR with 20gallon sump

2 clowns
1 banggai cardinal
1 firefish
4 green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 tailspot blenny

Is this too much? And which clowns are the least aggressive, I'm getting conflicting advice on percs vs ocellaris clowns

thanks

Hi there! Thanks so much for answering the newb questions :)

My husband and I are ready to stock. We are running a 150 gallon With 160lbs of live rock. A 30 gallon sump, Reef Octopus Diablo skimmer rated 160 gallons, and 3 250 MHs and 4 T5s.

We added a pair of adult black perculas a couple weeks ago; its time for more stocking!

Our tentative plan, I'd appreciate your input. In order of appearance, we hope:

Pair of cleaner shrimps
Longnose butterfly excellent fish, there are two varieties, both similar in behavior
Six or Twelve line wrasse I do not recommend lined wrasses especially if there is a plan for any dragonet in the future
Flame angel
Hippo tang really needs a larger (longer) tank and is highly susceptible to ich.
Purple tang territorial once established so be sure it is last
and the Mandarin Dragonet after 6 or 12 months

Sarah

Hey there,
55g FOWLR with 20gallon sump

2 clowns
1 banggai cardinal
1 firefish
4 green chromis will become one over time
1 royal gramma
1 tailspot blenny

Is this too much? And which clowns are the least aggressive, I'm getting conflicting advice on percs vs ocellaris clowns

four chromis will become one chromis but the total fish planned should be fine. A. percula and A. ocellaris are similar in terms of aggressiveness once sexually mature.

thanks

hi steve!
so...i'm trying to decide on stock for this 29g and everything i pick is not going to work together for one reason or another. right now i have a tailspot blenny. my dream fish is a green mandarin. if i can find one, either an ORA or one that is already eating prepared foods, can i put him in there with a mated pair of helfrichs firefish?

hi steve!
so...i'm trying to decide on stock for this 29g and everything i pick is not going to work together for one reason or another. right now i have a tailspot blenny. my dream fish is a green mandarin. if i can find one, either an ORA or one that is already eating prepared foods, can i put him in there with a mated pair of helfrichs firefish?

ORA mandarins are not necessarily a solution that will work as their track record is very mixed (at best). Mandarins that eat frozen (most do) do not solve the problem of their metabolism and the fact that long term success depends on providing adequate copepods. By the way, I am well aware of the "success stories" about keeping mandarins in small tanks.

Hi there,
I've got a 35 gallon cube with an 18 gallon sump. I've got 50lbs of live rock. I have a refugium in the sump with chaeto, a filter sock and 2 koralia nano power heads in the tank. I currently have a Percula clown and a dwarf flame angel. I had a purple firefish but he jumped out (that story is in another thread). So far I have a devils hand, a toadstool, a small mushroom and a colony of pretty green zooanthids. Everything doing well so far. I like to purchase my fish from the LFS if I can. Yesterday I was there and browsing on what to get. He suggested a Foxface or a toby puffer. I was on the fence because I didnt know anything about the fish and hadnt gotten on this site to read up on them. Well common sense said to wait. I did a little reading and it doesnt seem like either of those fish should really be in my tank. So much for my best interests from the LFS. I have been looking online at Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo at their different fishes and wanted some opinions. It's a small tank I know, so I wanted fish as colorful as I could get since I cant have that many. I know a green chromis is a safe bet but not a whole lot of wow factor there. We set up a marine tank because fresh water fish just didnt have the color and beauty that a marine tank does. I have been staying away from the damsels even tho they are quite the colorful fish since everything I read says they are fairly aggressive. The clown and the flame angel are said to be semi aggressive so I dont know whether damsels would be fine or not. Some of the other dwarf angels are very nice but I'm not sure if more than one angel can be in the same tank. I was hoping for some suggestions on livestock.

Hi there,
I've got a 35 gallon cube with an 18 gallon sump. I've got 50lbs of live rock. I have a refugium in the sump with chaeto, a filter sock and 2 koralia nano power heads in the tank. I currently have a Percula clown and a dwarf flame angel. I had a purple firefish but he jumped out (that story is in another thread). So far I have a devils hand, a toadstool, a small mushroom and a colony of pretty green zooanthids. Everything doing well so far. I like to purchase my fish from the LFS if I can. Yesterday I was there and browsing on what to get. He suggested a Foxface or a toby puffer.

Neither is appropriate or desirable in your sized tank. Clearly their advice is self serving.

I was on the fence because I didnt know anything about the fish and hadnt gotten on this site to read up on them. Well common sense said to wait. I did a little reading and it doesnt seem like either of those fish should really be in my tank. So much for my best interests from the LFS. I have been looking online at Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo at their different fishes and wanted some opinions. It's a small tank I know, so I wanted fish as colorful as I could get since I cant have that many. I know a green chromis is a safe bet but not a whole lot of wow factor there. We set up a marine tank because fresh water fish just didnt have the color and beauty that a marine tank does. I have been staying away from the damsels even tho they are quite the colorful fish since everything I read says they are fairly aggressive. The clown and the flame angel are said to be semi aggressive so I dont know whether damsels would be fine or not. Some of the other dwarf angels are very nice but I'm not sure if more than one angel can be in the same tank. I was hoping for some suggestions on livestock.

Two dwarf angels are not a good idea in your sized tank as both occupy the same ecological niche. Shrimp/goby symbiotic relationships are interesting, and some of the gobies are quite colorful. Look at Live Aquaria in the nano fish category which can be found here. Unfortunately some of the more colorful fish require larger tanks for long term success.

55 gallon reef

55 gallon reef

55 gallon tank
55 lbs live rock
Sump and protein skimmer
Already has clownfish and yellow tang with Xenia and Kenya tree
Intended fish purchases:
fire angel fish, lionfish??, a smaller species of wrasse,3 anthias, 3 fire fish, cleaner shrimp, sea cucumber, fire shrimp, arrow crab maybe another clownfish. Those are all just ideas input would be appreciated.

55 gallon tank
55 lbs live rock
Sump and protein skimmer
Already has clownfish and yellow tang with Xenia and Kenya tree

a yellow tang really needs a larger tank

Intended fish purchases:
fire angel fish, lionfish??, a smaller species of wrasse,3 anthias, 3 fire fish, cleaner shrimp, sea cucumber, fire shrimp, arrow crab maybe another clownfish. Those are all just ideas input would be appreciated.

a flame angel will be fine, a lionfish will eat all of the other fish, for a single anthias you need a larger tank, for a group of anthias you need a 125 gallon tank, 3 firefish will become at most two firefish and possibly only one. An arrow crab can take fish. Pairing the clownfish requires a much smaller member of the same species. Depending on the species, a sexually mature pair will want to control at least 25 gallons or if one of the aggressive species (such as gold stripe maroon), will want to control your entire tank.

[welcome]

So I have acquired a complete 37 gallon acrylic setup. None of the filters work. I have some rock (lava) that came out of the tank and substrate included. Also included is a heater, a power head, a lot of chemicals and testing kit. I have a function light that will put out enough light to support fish but not coral according to the LFS

Planned purchase: live rock to add to the existing tank furniture, possible a better power head.

the big decision is to try and turn my 10G into a sump with canister filter. or use a 70G power HOB filter.

fish wish list is (in order to be added):
1) blue/green chromis i will buy two for cycling
2) two false clowns
3) royal gramma baslet
4) six line wrasse
5) Dwarf angle fish (flame)
6) dwarf angle fish bicolor

What I also want but am truly unsure of...

psychedelic dragonet: would require the sump and reef pods...so not sure about how difficult this is.

spotted puffer: may get to big or be too aggressive, even if added later.

Snowflake eel: not sure if this will mean I can't have any CUC as most seem to be crustaceans. I really want one of these though.

Can't wait to hear some input.

40g cube ten gallon sump. Currently has 2 black and white clowns, 2 snowflake clowns, 1 male lyretail anthias, 1 yasha goby, 1 mystery wrasse, Some type of dotty back. I run skimmer live rock gfo and filter sock changed every 3 days. Ph8 no3 2.5 phos .06 cal480dkh8.3 mag1350 growing all types of sps and lps. Am I at my upper limit?

2) two false clowns
3) royal gramma baslet

I think you should stop with these 2 suggestions, add a Flame Hawkfish and call it done.

I think any angel, given it's amount of space, is going to feel confined and tend to be aggressive.

You dont have enough volume to support a dragonet, same goes for a puffer.

An eel will foul up your water, given your volume it's a bad idea.

The wrasse, he can be a problem. They are known to be aggressive.

Sorry Steve, I accidentally replied to this thread (i had a bit to drink)... I replied and it got posted, this is my edit.

hope it's decent advice and I'm not stepping on toes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back