Porcupine puffer and acrylic

xxkenny90xx

Hey guys, so I'm in the process of prepping my "new" 125g reef ready acrylic tank which will replace my current 120g glass tank with hob overflow. While my kid was feeding our puffer today I realized that he likes to swim back and forth sort of biting at the glass. Now I'm wondering if he's gonna scratch up the new acrylic tank?? I did some research and found some horror stories about other types of puffers but porcupines don't have those teeth that stick out. What do you guys think? Anyone have a puffer in an acrylic tank? Thanks!

I don't know about the acrylic itself, but some Porcupines I've had in the past have been very destructive. Picking up small rocks with their teeth and ramming them into the glass, chewing on heaters/cords, etc. I'd probably take the wait & see approach though before considering rehoming him.

Curious about your question. I had a huma huma trigger for 15 years that swam back and forth along the glass. My glass was all scratched up, but I could never tell if was from the trigger because I cleaned the glass with a Brillo pad and that destroys glass. Did you have any scratches on your glass tank from the puffer?

No, he hasn't scratched the glass, and he is my wife and kids favorite so I'd hate to have to get rid of him. But he does the same as your trigger and swims back and forth on the glass all day. It's funny you say that humblefish, my heater (in the sump) went out the other day so I threw a backup into the display tank and the puffer was biting all over it

No, he hasn't scratched the glass, and he is my wife and kids favorite so I'd hate to have to get rid of him. But he does the same as your trigger and swims back and forth on the glass all day. It's funny you say that humblefish, my heater (in the sump) went out the other day so I threw a backup into the display tank and the puffer was biting all over it

Make sure the cord isn't in the water. :eek2:

I would also take the wait and see approach and look for scratches. It is nice to have a fish that has great personality.

Back