Post Pics of Pulsing Sinularia??

I've never heard of a pulsing sinularia... TMK no leathers 'pulse', but hey - I learn something every day and could be wrong! Do you mean Xenia?

phil.jpg

Thats my pulsing sinularia. Thats back from the beginning from April, and it has grown considerably since then. I don't see it pulse much in the 150, but it definately does. But in the fuge (2x 95W VHOs) and in the frag tank (2x 96W PC) I see it pulsing more frequently.

I have two (sorry, no pictures)
they pulse quite a bit in low flow, not so much when the pumps are on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7546105#post7546105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jc5205
I will post my pulsing yellow sinularia later tonight

Interested in seeing the yellow color morph ... never seen it before.

Here's mine. I've had it about a year and a half. One of my favorite softies. Its about the size of a softball. I've got A LOT of flow in my tank so I've really never witnessed it pulse.
pulsing_sinularia7_030306.jpg

Those are mine in that link. I still have bunches of them. They do pulse when they are stressed or shadowed and then they also pulse for no reason I can notice. They don't pulse like a xenia does though. All the polyps will close at the same time and then within seconds they will open back up. Then close on que, open at various times. Mine are pink with green polyps under actinics and then a washed out yellow/tan under MH, which is too strong for mine.

pulsingSinularia.jpg

The picture I posted above was from early april, this was taken today, mid June. It sits almost directly underneath a 400W halide and as Freed said, I've seen it pulse and when it does, its all of the polyps - or at least all in a large region of the coral, that close and then open, as if on que.

My favorite coral....

I've done some research on this coral, but have never found it's scientific name. The coral is a little different than most leathers because it doesn't shed as much. I have only seen mine shed twice and both time were when I moved it around in the tank. So far as feeding I don't spot feed, but I have seen it eat cyclopeze.

May 2005
soft1.jpg

May 2006
junepulsing.jpg

Last edited:
Back