power outages scheduled... help

2t2_crash

There are three power outages scheduled that will effect me in the next two months.. they are supposed to last 7 hours. How do I keep my tank from going Kaput?

I am not too sure...I dont have my tank set up yet...but I wouldnt think that a few hours would hurt anything too bad......

You can go to the local bait store and they have battery operated air pumps. Buy a couple of those and they will keep your tank good to go during the power outage.

The air pumps will certainly do the trick....but you should also be OK for up to 12 hours.....unless you are really overstocked. I had the same outages last year when I lived on Plaza and both my tanks did fine without any help.

I just found out that the power outage on Saturday will only effect half of Kinser. The towers will be effected and the surrounding buildings.

To be honest, I wouldnt worry too much about outages that last no more than 12 hours. My tank experienced many of them with no ill effects. It's when it goes longer that I would be concerned with but as recommended above, battery operated airstone pump can help aleviate some of the worry.

I'd go with the airpumps for sure. I had an outage in my tank a few months back, no more than 6-8 hours, and it led to my corals browning out and all fish except 2 kicking it. Not to mention the sweet cyano and brown algae that kicked into full gear. I would also manually circulate the water when possible to keep flow going at least temporarily. Low oxygen events are not good for anything in your tank.

I have a battery backup for a computer, I wonder if that would work?

Depending on the pump you have..... specifically its amperage draw......you will usually only get a couple hours out of it. They do not support a large amp-hour load because they are designed for computers. If you are gonna use it....I would wait until 4-5 hour into the outage.

picked up a battery powered aerator from the fishing shop by the Ferris Wheel... the building that is painted like a ship on water that is across from Lester.

now my f@#$ coraline algae is dying off... what could cause this? everything else is good to go.

Check your Mg++ level. Also, do you have other forms of algae that are growing better......they might be competing with the coraline which obviously grows much slower.

I'll check. definitely a water change weekend.

I have never had this problem before and quite honestly I have not checked my water levels in along time.. I just judged it by the reaction of the tank.

Back