Preparing For The Hurricane.....

My friends getting here with a DIY battery back up for my mp10's shortly. I just tied everything in the backyard down and brought some stuff inside. All the grocery stores are cleaned out, this is crazy. We'll see what happens when she hits...

Have plenty of canned/jar food and drinks. Been making ice since Tuesday. 70 gallons of water stored in the garage. All outdoor items put away with rubbermaid shed tied up (Don't forget to remove your doormats!). Outdoor fan and speakers taken down. Gutters cleaned. Vehicles topped off. Plenty of batteries and flashlights available. Not much else to do but sit and wait.

I do have a power inverter which of course I can't find today. I've looked everywhere for it.

I just secured a 5000 watt generator.....arriving tomorrow via a family member who was out of state and found one at a Home Depot.

Chris, thats the same one I got, started first pull. Just remember to get some 5 gal gas containers. Many places are sold out.

Chris, thats the same one I got, started first pull. Just remember to get some 5 gal gas containers. Many places are sold out.

You aint kidding.....I went to 4 places and all were sold out. As I started to walk out of the last place (Ace Hardware) a guy pulls up with a truck and starts offloading a few of them. I grabbed two 5 gallon jugs before he even got them in the store. People jumped on the rest as soon as he brought them in. Lots of fun waiting in line at the gas station to get them filled. People are panicking like it's the end of the world. Saw a 3 car accident on the way home. People are rushing around and panicking and not thinking clearly. Be careful out there on the roads.....the crazies are out.

Good luck everyone- Im surprised at the amount of stuff people are stocking. Don't forget to secure your generators outside- I have heard stories of UPSs and generators flying or getting damaged due to the wind.

Larry take it down

Marty

Cover is off the canopy, and the frame is securely (8 legs) lag bolted to my deck. At least one lag bolt on each leg is in the deck framing, I'm all set.
I don't expect as much destruction as a lot of people seem to think we're going to have. It's certainly better to be safe than sorry, but I think people are making more of this than they should.
Keep in mind that there are places on Long Island that have their own electric grids. Freeport and Rockville Centre have their own electric companies. Even if the main grid goes down and LIPA can't get their stuff together, you can still get gas in those two towns. Convenient for me, I live right between the two ;)

Keep in mind that there are places on Long Island that have their own electric grids. Freeport and Rockville Centre have their own electric companies. Even if the main grid goes down and LIPA can't get their stuff together, you can still get gas in those two towns. Convenient for me, I live right between the two ;)

Good to know.

I managed to get a 7500 watt generator today + gas cans and cords. Hopefully, I can return it all on Monday (minus the gas of course), but it's there if I need it.

Checked all around for the battery powered air pumps and were all sold out, im praying we dont lose power for to long. I have nothing that i can do to help. Guess i need to just cross my fingers and i hope my guys can pull it out :(

Kevin,

Air bubbles battery---I have an extra if you need to borrow !!

Im sending you PM for text # if you need it asap!

A standby generator has been popping in my head for the past year or so. I could never bring myself to tell my wife that the main reason I wanted one was to support my tank. This would be especially true in a few years when I can upgrade to around 300 gallons or so.

I don't think she knew standby generators existed. She loved the idea so it's something we may be looking at soon enough!

Is it supposed to be that bad of a hurricane? I have a generator hooked up to my tank.

The Mayor said it well "You don't prepare for the best case scenario you prepare for the worse"

Tip:
If you do run out of power, generator, batteries... you can keep your tank alive by siphoning tank water into a 5 gal bucket keeping an air gap between the siphon hose and bucket causing lots of bubbles. Then simply poor this water back into your tank. Every 30 minutes or less should do it.

I did this during Gloria when we lost power for 7 days.

The Mayor said it well "You don't prepare for the best case scenario you prepare for the worse"

Tip:
If you do run out of power, generator, batteries... you can keep your tank alive by siphoning tank water into a 5 gal bucket keeping an air gap between the siphon hose and bucket causing lots of bubbles. Then simply poor this water back into your tank. Every 30 minutes or less should do it.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

John - I bought the gennie at Pep Boys.

Tip:

Very good tip- thanks

thats a great tip, also you can scoop water up from your sump with a bucket and dump it into the display if you have a fuge that you want your display tank to share water with. obviously, this will replicate your return pump's function. just thought i'd pass along the good idea.

Back