Probs with keeping clams alive

APynckel

I have probably had over 8 various tridacnid clams ranging from derasa to Ultra Maxima. The only ones i've managed to keep alive are a derasa that i've had living for over 3 years (about 6-7" long) and a #1 grade crocea that is at the top of my tank that's been living for almost a year *knock* *knock*. All my water parameters are ideal for the clams but i have no idea why they just die off. My sig describes what filtration stuff i have. Any ideas? I've seen pyramid snails on my clams but i always brush them off about once a week so this can't be the prob.

I am by no means a clam expert but I will jump in since no one else had responded. Are you getting all of your clams from one supplier? How long are they living? Have several died at one time or has this been one by one over an extended amount of time? Are there any symptoms before they die or is it here today and gone tomorrow?

Yes, all my clams have been coming from one supplier. Well i've had an ultra maxima live for over a year and then suddenly die but i've mostly had trouble with ultra crocea's. I have 1x #1 grade crocea living and thriving in my tank as of now. It's pretty much healthy one day, receding tissue the next, dead the following. And it has been one by one.

Re: Probs with keeping clams alive

APynckel said:
Any ideas? I've seen pyramid snails on my clams but i always brush them off about once a week so this can't be the prob.

Why can this not be the problem? If you have a parasite in your tank, and you are not eliminating it, why then could they not keep coming back to do damage. Eliminate the pyramid snails, and try another vendor. I would do something different, or continue to have problems doing everything the same, with bad results.

Best of luck, Rob

Back