Now or never…my 140 gallon DSA rebuild

T Diddy

Happy to be here
A little over ten years ago, I sold my house and started construction on a new home. I had to break down the aquarium and stuff all of my livestock into temporary holding tank at a rental house. While at the rental house, we suffered an extended power outage during an ice storm. I didn’t have a generator, and the box stores had already sold out when I went looking. I lost everything, and it was devastating. Prior to that, I had started a build thread which can be found here.

In the new house, I built a fish room for an in-wall aquarium similar to what I had in the old house. It’s got a large laundry sink, power outlets galore on two separate circuits, solar tubes through the roof for natural lighting, a floor drain, humidity controlled exhaust fan, you name it. It was my dream setup. Then life happened…kids and after school activities, my job managing a territory of seven states, and taking care of my Dad…I kept putting the aquarium reboot on the back burner. Next thing you know, I was diagnosed with cancer…it’s a long story. The abbreviated version is that I’ve been fighting this cursed disease since August of 2018. I honestly had put the whole aquarium thing out of my mind, and had no idea if it would ever happen.

Fast forward to late October of this year. While getting my biweekly dose of chemo at the oncology center, I logged back into reefcentral for the first time in ten years. In a matter of minutes, I decided that this fish room…this aquarium rebuild…it was my dream, and I was going to see it, period. I ordered five frags right then and there…didn’t even have water in an aquarium yet.

Since that day, I’ve made a lot of progress on getting things rolling again. The frags are alive and well in a temporary hospital tank. A friend of mine and his son are coming by this evening to get my aquarium set in place. I’ll be updating this project regularly (hopefully for a long time).

I’d like to say, “thank you” to everyone who keeps this site going, and to all who contribute. You’ve all inspired me to see my dream come true, and make it a reality. I’m truly happy to be here!

😁

Yahoo!! After all this time, the tank is IN! I’m so excited! Please disregard the dirty condition of the aquarium. I had hoped to clean it first, but when the help arrives , you don’t ask them to wait.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 57
I was briefly trying to solve what DSA stood for (Deep Sand?, Dense Space (opposite of NSA)?). but after a search it looks like it's a brand, lol.

I like inwall tanks but I prefer front access just because decorating/ maintaining is a pain working only from the back. I wish you luck!

Looks really nice built into the wall. I agree with Sean, I prefer front access as well. Again, it's just personal preference.

The last time, I did a foam/rock wall. It looked great, but the design really didn’t leave a lot of options for coral placement…way too much water column, and vertical rock walls.
This time around, I’ve got a couple of interesting ideas for an upgraded design. It’s probably going to consist of four separate interlocking pieces. The few drawings I’ve done have me leaning towards something that’s hopefully pretty as well as functional. It’s got to be maintained without front access, of course.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
The tank went in last week, then I had chemo the next day. My energy and motivation were nowhere to be found. Also, the aquarium wasn’t sitting quite how I wanted, so I had to make some adjustments before moving any further with the plumbing and whatever else I had in mind.
I did manage to make more progress on the rock project. There are still a few things to button up before adding the spray foam and getting it all into the aquarium, but I wanted to share another picture of what I’ve been working on. Unfortunately, I’ve got to figure out how to resize pictures on my iPhone. Image files are too large

Quite the project. Hopefully it can be put in in pieces otherwise looks to be quite heavy. But it looks really good

Yes, three separate pieces (so far). I was thinking of adding a fourth across the top. That fourth piece may actually go in as an afterthought, completely separate from the rest. I’ll be drilling some holes in the pvc throughout the structure, and power heads will send water through the structure. I did the same thing with my last build…it helped to eliminate dead spots, and also helped with feeding really fine additives like reef chili.

Cool looking aquascape. Just noticed your mention of chemo. Best of luck in recovery and my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Cool looking aquascape. Just noticed your mention of chemo. Best of luck in recovery and my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Thank you. I did the math on it last week… it was my 86th round if you can believe it. 🤪

Phew! Rock wall is complete! Prior to the foam, I drilled holes into the pvc scaffolding, and inserted the red tubing to prevent the foam from covering over the holes. They’ll be removed when the wall goes in the aquarium. Water will flow through the structure and out through those holes. I did the same thing with the old one, and thought it was a great benefit in terms of water movement and feeding.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-12-22-090516.jpeg
    IMG_2023-12-22-090516.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 33
Back