Quoyi parrotfish reef safe?

Anybody on here snag the big beautiful Scarus rivulatus on DD tonight?

I really wish I had been in a position to. Shame on DD for mislabeling it!

It was me. I was trying to get a quoyi so I bought it before looking at the picture. Was waiting with credit card in hand/etc; got my receipt email before the Divers Den update email arrived - then I looked at the picture and went ahh,what did I just buy??? I'll second Kevin, LA did call and email to let me know it was mislabeled.

Anyway, information is scarce on s. rivulatus in an aquarium. It sounds like he will get bigger than a quoyi, but I haven't found any additional substantive information so sounds like he will be the guinea pig!

I opted for Sat delivery so I have a couple days to wait.

-Matt

It was me. I was trying to get a quoyi so I bought it before looking at the picture. Was waiting with credit card in hand/etc; got my receipt email before the Divers Den update email arrived - then I looked at the picture and went ahh,what did I just buy??? I'll second Kevin, LA did call and email to let me know it was mislabeled.

Anyway, information is scarce on s. rivulatus in an aquarium. It sounds like he will get bigger than a quoyi, but I haven't found any additional substantive information so sounds like he will be the guinea pig!

-Matt

Congrats on the snag, look forward to seeing some pics of this guy. Do you have NLS pellets? If not that's what I would suggest you acquire. Mine prefers pellets over frozen and won't eat flake. He likes nori a lot too. Seems to prefer smaller pellets to larger ones. 2mm over 4mm, IME. I don't remember what DD said this one was eating, I'm guessing pellets since that's what all others have been eating

-Matt

Well according to fishbase both species have a max size of 40cm with a common size of 20cm. I believe a long ways back in this thread someone was working with some at a public aquarium.. Might be some info there. Either way, congrats on the beautiful fish and keep us updated on how he does!

He is now in the fowlr tank with prazipro and chloroquine phosphate. He acts shy and typically finds a rock to sit next to, watching me watch him. I only saw him try pellets once or twice, but hasn't really been eating much yet. From my research it sounds normal, but the prazi might be suppressing his appetite. Here is a google+ 'enhanced' photo of him in natural sunlight - https://plus.google.com/102426194931060407066/posts/U9FjmkyRCAo

OK I am now wanting one of these Quoyi in my tanks. Guess I need to start looking for one. So what is the smallest QT tank people have used for them. I also see mention of them being treated with 2 different items. Is this the standard? If so where do I find that and what are the doses. I want to ensure he is as healthy as can be. I would prefer one no longer than 5"

i have a pair of this beauty without issues except i need the space for another angel for it... so i might get rid of the other one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3M2EJu2ll5c?list=UU_3QO8wy78uQVGmUAFO8CAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i have a pair of this beauty without issues except i need the space for another angel for it... so i might get rid of the other one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3M2EJu2ll5c?list=UU_3QO8wy78uQVGmUAFO8CAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Are you saying you want to get rid of one of them? If so what size?

If not guys where is the best place for me to pick one up at?

Are you saying you want to get rid of one of them? If so what size?

If not guys where is the best place for me to pick one up at?

stryker is picking it up but i took out the wrong one last night so i have to fish for it tonight again
anyway i have another pair of angel in the tank.

Were they the same size when added? Were they added together? Please give us more information on how you accomplished this? I would really love to have 2 in my 625g

Put in separate times one slightly smaller. From what I read before the ignore each other and they do in my tank

I always try and source different Scarus but they can be problematic shippers from certain export locales. The most common Pacific species exported is the juvenile Cetoscarus ocellatus, followed by S. quoyi, then infrequently Chlorurus bowersi, Chlorurus bleekeri, and Scarus chameleon. I personally think the biggest issue is that most export stations overseas have a difficult time positively identifying these fishes, and just offer them up as "Colored Parrotfish" which complicates matter further.

As far as female Quoyi, I have received a few small ones (3" specimens) which appeared to be females, but its very uncommon see them offered at this smaller size.

From my personal experience, combined with a close friends who has a very large home aquariums (1000 gallons) and tried to maintain a larger male and a few very small Scarus quoyi together, it didn't work out well. After adding the small group within days, the male was relentless and would try and kill the two smaller fish of the group. I dont think mixing different species of larger Parrotfishes works well either, even in very large home aquariums of 500 gallons or more.

Kevin Kohen

Hey Kevin, Tim here. Speaking from experience with S. rivulatus they didn't mix well either (started with 3, now down to 1). Haven't tried any other parrots but the S. rivulatus is the only parrot now. It bickers with the Acanthurus maculiceps in the tank.

I would be willing to try some other species of parrots though. They are quickly becoming some of my favorite fish and now have at least one in all the reefs.

I have 3 S. taeniopterus, 3 Sparisoma atomarium, and 2 Sparisoma aurofrenatum in our Caribbean exhibit so far no issues. The sparisoma are small. The princess are about 6 inches and I never see aggression. They have been together for 6+ months now. Crossing my fingers it stays that way and working on getting some of the larger Caribbean species.

If you ever get any weird parrots you don't know what to do with keep me in mind!

-Matt

Hey Matt. You can look back in this thread, but I originally thought I had a quoyi, but thanks to some of the people here they notified me it was a Scarus rivulatus. It is in a large reef tank and never nips corals. Very cool fish, about 9 inches now. Have had it for over 2 years. Eats everything too.

Lost my Quoyi today :-(

Lost my Quoyi today :-(

I got a beautiful 6.25" Quoyi parrot from Divers Den a few months ago for my 260g FOWLR. It took him a couple weeks to start eating and then become a confident eater. He has been doing great since then though, and appeared to be maintaining his body weight. I have been a little concerned recently that he wasn't getting enough to eat becuase I have same pretty aggressive eaters (triggers, tangs, etc) that go crazy at feeding time. My parrot would get a few pieces here and there but not as much as I wanted, and he would never eat from tongs like my harlequin tusk who I target feed. He also wasn't as crazy about mysis as algae, but it was hard to get him enough algae too b/c the algae sheets I feed get instantly ripped to shreds by the faster, more aggressive fish. Like I said though, he didn't seem to be getting thinner or anything, so I thought he was okay.

Anyway, he was doing fine until Sunday, when I noticed he was acting a little lethargic, and going into his cave during the daytime more than normal. No visible signs of any disease or injury though. But when I came downstairs this morning and checked the tank he was dead. :sad2: I am so bummed. He was a great fish, and so beautiful, and I definitely feel like I let him down in the worst possible way. Don't know what I could have done different though. Anyone else had this experience with a Quoyi?

I don't have all the aggressive eater per se as you do but the are timid fish. Lethargic is signs of stress and could possibly be diseased related. What did you feed yours? Mine eats nori and NLS 2mm pellets and occasionally some mysis but prefers nori and pellets over all

Put in separate times one slightly smaller. From what I read before the ignore each other and they do in my tank

I guess I will be trying to get ahold of Kevin at DFS and see if he can track down another cool and unusual parrot like the one sold a few weeks back (also pictured in this thread) My parrot is by far my most favorite fish I have and everyone always asks "what's that colorful rainbow fish" haha then I tell them it's my Quoyi parrotfish and they look at me funny.... Like did you just stutter?

I feed a mix of PE Mysis, Mega Marine, Mega Marine Algae, frozen krill, occasional NLS pellets and New Era marine grazers, plus sea veggies a few times a week. Usually a couple of these at a time. He would eat all but the mysis but generally didn't get his fill I think because other fish would pounce and he just couldn't assert himself even though he was the biggest fish in my tank.

If it was a disease I saw no other signs, and my other fish appear healthy for now. I made sure to feed my tusk real well tonight.

Some fish seem to die for no reason. Could of just been the parrots time... Anyone else keeping more than one in a tank? I'm very intrigued by this

So who got the bowersi from NYA? I was so tempted!

This must of been very recent, last time I checked NYA (2-3days ago) the only had a orange side. I will have to contact Michael and see if he can get another one for me.

This must of been very recent, last time I checked NYA (2-3days ago) the only had a orange side. I will have to contact Michael and see if he can get another one for me.

That's the species I'm talking about, Chlorurus bowersi.

Last edited:
Back