R/O Waste Water Uses

I have my wastewater line going to the washing machine, which is not an original idea. But I have a much smaller amount of waste water because I chose to buy a system with close to a 1:1 ratio of pure to waste water.

A lot of great ideas mentioned here. I use it now to water plants. It sounds like I could use it to add water to my pool in the summer.
My city water pressure is in the mid 40's so I thought I was doing ok but it sounds like a pump would certainly help reduce waste.
I was trying to think of uses where the high TDS doesn't really matter like in the toilet.
I know I could make it work but probably not practical for the average home owner. 55 gallon drum in my basement with a pump and a low water cut off. If I didn't collect enough waste water just fill the drum with city water and have it shut off with a float in the drum. After it fills shut off the city water and start collecting waste again from RO. Would need a pressure switch to shut off pump after float in the toilet finished filling and solenoid valve to hold pressure until toilet float called again. Or use a float switch off my Neptune controller in the toilet and start the pump and feed the toilet with a separate feed when the float calls. I could leave the original line for use when I haven't collected enough water.
Try and convince my wife that to do this I need to upgrade to the Apex. :lmao:

I use my waste wate r to wash my dog

I use my waste wate r to wash my dog

and also water the plants and the grass.

I've heard of people drinking it with no problems. They say that it is still better (cleaner) than water from the tap because of the filtration it goes through. I've never tried it. Any thoughts?

How can it be better if it's the waste water, I guess the carbon does a lot.

I have an idea that I'll eventually try in the new house(unless someone knows why it won't work), but it depends on the equipment you have in the house.

The basic idea is a "passive" no-waste RO system created by tapping into equipment feed lines after their own valves so when they run, it produces RO "passively". For example, washing machine, tie into it's water feed after it's solenoid valve (or whatever they use), feed to RO unit, and feed the "waste" line back into the washer. Could perhaps use it on the dishwasher, or the toilet's bowl fill line, or whatever else it will work with. You just need an RO storage tank for it to feed into (with float valve?).

I think the whole washing machine idea would work if you put the intake hose in the barrel with the waste water in it so that theres no risk of spilling the water over and out of the washing machine. It would just draw the water out of the barrel as needed, however you cant use this unless you wash with cold water...

Washing machines will not draw water out of a barrel you have to have pressure feeding them. Also most older washers will not overflow. When they get to full it just spills over the drains in the washer out to the sewer system.

oh didnt know they had to be preasure fed. theres a pump on the washer i have that draws water in from the pipe. so i thought that it pulled the water up into the drum

yeah its almost like a re-circulation pump that draws the water from a holding tank in the washer. the one my mom decided to get was fairly new strange looking thing its like a front loader (no adjitator) spelling i know its bad... but its a top loader

i just have mine running out thru the hole where the heatpump piping is coming into the house. i got it about 20 feet from the whole to water some bushes and the grass.
i should take some of the great advice too and use it for drinking or other cool stuff mentioned.

Back