R/O Waste Water Uses

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14533063#post14533063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lowredranger
I think the water going into the pool is fine as long as you are not having any algae issues. The reason the pool guy doesn't want the water in the pool is for the same reason you don't want the water in your fish tank, it will cause algae if the tds level in the pool gets too high.

I am currently letting mine go into the pool and figure when summer comes if i am having algae issues i will stop and start watering the plants with it again.

If you take your water to a pool store and have it tested a lot of times they will test for tds. I am not sure what the recommended level is for a pool but you could always have it tested and then in a month or so see where your levels are.

Jason
Since you are in Winter Springs, Swim N Fun should ring a bell. That was my second home for five years. I have tested many swimming pools at over 3500 ppm TDS without any correlation to algae growth. I also had a customer with a pool that hadn't been drained since 1958 and was just as easy to care for as a new one.

TDS isn't really anything to worry about in a swimming pool as long as normal chemistry is kept up. RO waste is perfectly fine for top off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14517815#post14517815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
...Unfortunately, when we finally selected a pool installer, they claim that the RO/DI waste water will mess up the pool's water chemistry... ...So now I have this PVC pipe sticking out of the back of my house and a pool installer who is not willing to use the water.
Tell the builder that you are the customer and you sign the check. You can also tell them to hook it up or they can hit the road. :D In all likelyhood, that point in time has already passed but you can still have it retrofitted. If construction is still going on, put a stop to it until they add an additional line for the RO waste water. As long as the deck has not been installed, you can still add another pipe to the pool shell.

You can also retrofit a fill line to the return side of the pool filter. The pool system runs at 25psi or less. By replacing the return jets in the swimming pool with the largest available ($5 each), you will reduce the pressure on the return side to practically nill. Adding a fitting for the RO water will be simple.

Here is the best deal for zero waste RO systems I have found:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10034720&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

Also to reduce the amount of waste, you can add a permeate pump to the waste line.
http://www.advancedwaterfilters.com/filter-products/permeate-pump.html

Another trick for doubling your water production without increasing the waste amount, is to run the waste line into another RO unit. There is a company out there that has a patent on an add on membrane unit that does exactly that (I wish I saved the link).

I've been thinking of what to do with the wastewater alot lately... just about to set up my tanks again and hopefully I can use ALL of the water passed through the filter (no pool or plants... maybe I'll have to start a garden or something).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14658431#post14658431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CHOMPERS MFK
Tell the builder that you are the customer and you sign the check. You can also tell them to hook it up or they can hit the road. :D In all likelyhood, that point in time has already passed but you can still have it retrofitted. If construction is still going on, put a stop to it until they add an additional line for the RO waste water. As long as the deck has not been installed, you can still add another pipe to the pool shell.

You can also retrofit a fill line to the return side of the pool filter. The pool system runs at 25psi or less. By replacing the return jets in the swimming pool with the largest available ($5 each), you will reduce the pressure on the return side to practically nill. Adding a fitting for the RO water will be simple.
Excellent points you have made, but the concrete deck is completed and now there's no way to run that waste water into the pool. Actually, we are on a well, so even if I simply waste the water to the outside, it will eventually find its way back to the underground and, ultimately, back to the well, so I should be good. There now, I can sleep better.

If you have a flower bed along the back of the house, run the water through a soaker hose to water the plants. You could also start a small vegetable garden back there if you have good light.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14687717#post14687717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CHOMPERS MFK
If you have a flower bed along the back of the house, run the water through a soaker hose to water the plants.
That's the plan - thanks!

i have a 3 gallon storage tank on my ro system....i imagine you could put a 20 gal on the waste line and whenever the 3 gal tank tops off it shuts off...

I have a large RO filter with its own pump and it diverts up to 80 percent of the waste wter back throgh the RO membrane, but not the prefilters. I use it set on 70% with water in the range of 200 at the raw water tap.

End result 70% efficiency instead of 20%. Yes the TDS of the final waste water is higher 3.5 times higher. Its TDS is still lower than unfiltered water from say Arizona or Southern California etc.

Divertors as used in small commercial RO filters would be usable on smaller RO filters but a pump would be needed such as a booster pump. A lot less waste water then and cheaper RO water but your waste water Would be pretty much uns usable for anything. Figure your output water with 70% diversion would be at least double the TDS as the beginning raw water TDS.

well qster

well qster

Has anyone thought of just running a line back to their well? I relize most people live in the city, but what about yall country fokes.

Re: well qster

Re: well qster

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15026694#post15026694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ICON
Has anyone thought of just running a line back to their well? I relize most people live in the city, but what about yall country fokes.
Now that's the kind of out of the box thinking I like, or is it just overlooking the obvious? I would imagine that over time the well would eventually become more concentrated with minerals however an inline filter to the houses water supply should remove most of that.

I'm on well water, what type/brand RO/DI is recommended, my water is in a clay base well and its hard water I don't know what is my TDS is.

1. Do I require both RO & DI ?
2. Can I just use the DI and the Carbon filter? and what will my waste ratio be if I just use the DI and Carbon filter?:confused:

Any thoughts on this. Thanks.

I hope this thread stays alive for a long time. we forget - as hobbyists - the importance of our source water.
We can synthesize ANYTHING else...except good ole' H2O. (Unless you are willing to buy Hydrogen and an Oxygen torches and force the blames to burn together - and the cost for drops of water would be astronomical;))

Those of you that feel you have no wories,- or-have felt sort of "cavalier" about to this thread, -please take note: Here in the SE U.S. we had a drought that was so severe, it it doubtful that our water table will EVER recover to levels prior to the drough event. Why? How is that possible???
Because our population growth is demanding more water than all the rain and floods can replenish. When it floods, or during heavy rains, that water does not make it to the aquafers...It runs off, downhill, to rivers, and then into the ocean. Even under zero population growth, it can take many years for the ground water levels to return to normal levels after a moderate drought. This one was severe.....

On March 22, 2002 the U.N. issued a statement that was the result of a long term study of the greatest issues facing mankind in the 21st century, with an estimated 5 billion people unable to obtain enough clean water to sustain themselves (let alone their reef tanks...) by the year 2025.

The statement did not differentiate between the continents on the planet. It did not state that if you lived in N. America - don't worry about it.

And - because we know that the water used today in China, or Australia is the same water we will use within a few months to a few years....well - It kind of puts in perspective the value of thinking through the problem.

If we as a group ignore this - we will draw more attention - negative attention from those that do not understand all of the positive contributions the WE as hobbyists have made to science, in better understanding the oceans reef envirements.

Now - having said the above, I too use RO/DI. And I am always looking to use the wastewater however I can. And - hoping that I can keep reducing the waste as much as possible.

So, how about more ideas on the reduction of wastewater, and the implementation of uses for it? I can't figure out how to use if for washing clothes, though I have seen this mentioned. Water plants, sure - makes sense...Any other ideas?
T

I think this is a great topic! I personally have been thinking of what I could do with the waste water from my RO/DI system. Admittedly it originated from a thrifty standpoint on how I can save money and get more uses out of the water, but by default it addresses the waste issue. My plan for now is to setup two 55 gallon containers to not only collect RO/DI water but rain water that I can later water my plants and grasses with. My thought is that the high nitrates in the water should help keep the lawn nice and green next season.

I'd also be interested in seeing what others' ideas are so that maybe I could further maximize my intended use.

edit: I had originally answered this post with an active 2yo in my lap and answered the previous post as if it was the only one in the thread. It was not until after she had become bored with me and moved on to the next activity that I realized I was NOT the second post! lol

Last edited:
You make a great point, - we often will only react and change a habit if it costs us money!
I think most of us would change how we think about our source water if - or rather - when it becomes much more expensive.
T

I also think it is partially the responsibility of the RO/DI retailers and manufacturers to guide the customers to a more efficient unit and to strongly suggest uses for the waste. I also think they should sell waste water packages with containers and pumps to take the guess work out of what you would need to either water the grass or wash the car, etc, etc. Food for thought.

Yep, I like the idea of a "suggested uses for waste water" (referred to as brine by most
mfgrs.) sheet with each unit sold.
But - I think we will see significant price increases for completely pre-packaged units including pump, and waste containers.
Most RO manufacturers will happily tell yo what you need, and where to buy it if you ask. That will save money, which I consider another diminishing resource!
T

Back