R/O Waste Water Uses

Waste Water

Waste Water

OMG! I feel bad never knew the amount of water rejected was about 3/4ga per gallon of good water. I'll be honest my waste water goes directly into the drain but I think this may change soon. I'll have to plumb some tubing outside to water my shrubs. Thinking of buying tubing and perforating it, then burying it around the roots and the water will bleed out through the perforations. I usually make around 50ga on RODI water a month.

Had to put in a makeshift shower in the bathroom in the new house ( just had a tub, gonna renovate later), and that's one spot that would be a good example of what I wanted to try. Reroute the vertical shower pipe into a close RO unit, then feed the "waste" output back up to shower head. Clean output would pipe down to holding tank. Every time you take a shower, RO water is made "on the side", no waste.

Of course, my tap has rather low TDS to start with, 114 last time I measured, so a slightly higher TDS "waste" won't be an issue.

Mine does not create any waste. But where I live my TDS starts at 725 so I only get a small amount of RO out of it. I only keep it for emergencys. Does anyone else have off the charts starting TDS? I am thinking whole house system then hooking it to that.

some of the RO/DI units come with a tap to drain it to waste. i have laso read that some put the waste back in the hot water heaters, then no waste. mp if i tapped my feed to my hotwater heater with the waste then there would be a battle roal for who has the most pressure,,,, wouldnt there? im not swure how that would work but im game if anyone wants to advise.mine dumps in the flower beds as of now,

In order to pump it back into your home water system you need one of the pressure pumps made to do exactly that. Most of the better suppliers should have kits to incorporate into your current system.

Is there a way to turn my RO/DI on with a float of some kind? So as long as the 40 gal rubbermaid can isnt full it fills but when it gets to full it lifts up the switch and stops the ro/di unit? Can someone pm me with what they got please?

Is there a way to turn my RO/DI on with a float of some kind? So as long as the 40 gal rubbermaid can isnt full it fills but when it gets to full it lifts up the switch and stops the ro/di unit? Can someone pm me with what they got please?

I believe most RO unit comes with an auto shut off valve. It is the thing with 4 tubes connected. Connect your output to a float valve, so when the output stop, the whole things stop. At least, that is how mine works.

Oh forgot to mention. On rainy seasons; since I can't water the garden, I use the waste water to flush toilets. Only yellows, can't do browns unless I want to waste a lot of water for floaters haha

I believe most RO unit comes with an auto shut off valve. It is the thing with 4 tubes connected. Connect your output to a float valve, so when the output stop, the whole things stop. At least, that is how mine works.

Im not seeing this on mine, what brand do you have? Can you take a pic of how you have yours set up?

I wash cloths. Someone before didn't understand so here it is. You fill your washer. Your washer starts to fill and it can tell how full it is. It might sometimes top it off a little and then add your cloths. It starts scrubbing. While my washer is running, i use 5 gal drums to save the wastewater. If anybody is waisting wastewater.... thats just not good:(

When I was doing African cichlids, I had my waste water plumbed directly into the 220 Frontosa tank (two males, eight females), then the overflow from that tank fed into the 125 mixed African tank (all Lake Malawi's), and that flowed into the basement sump. Every time I made RO water, I was doing a water change on the Front's tanks. That worked quite well for me for several years.

I live in Rhode Island, not south or west so my plants are only around during the late spring, summer and early fall.So the idea of watering my plants with waste water wont work for me. I talked to my water company and it said a average 20 minute shower uses 75gallons of water. I use about 25-30gallons a month of RO water. To get that much RO water takes about 100gallons My waste water is about the same as taking 1 long shower a month.

Rich

Mainly laundry during the winter. During the summer months I have the waste water flow into a 150 gal water holding tank outside, and with that I wash my vehicles, water plants. Wonder if I could hook my pressure washer up to the tank and use it to pressure wash the house after winter?

Point is there are lots of uses for it, and everyone should make an attempt to do something beneficial with that water before wasting it.

i have a customer that runs the waste water to his toilet and just leaves it there because it will never overflow. When they think of it they use the downstairs toilet. the tank just keeps overflowing into the bowl. great idea.

Back