R/O Waste Water Uses

Great thread; never thought about it. I'm getting ready to buy my first RO/DI and now the topic has got me thinking. i may have to store waste water in my craw space for summer watering. only problem is i live in michigan and it always feel like winter is the longest season!! So witha 180 ga I'm sure i'd fill alot of containers over the winter months!! With my Nano, i just buy the water from a trusted LFS, so I've never thought about it. Thanks...more things to think about :)

Sonicstang. Definitely look at a water saver RO unit. Many are getting 1:1 waste to product rates which is nice. Mine was 4:1 and with a $80 kit from Filter guys it jumped to 1.5:1. I pay for water so I really hate wasting it.

Sonicstang. Definitely look at a water saver RO unit. Many are getting 1:1 waste to product rates which is nice. Mine was 4:1 and with a $80 kit from Filter guys it jumped to 1.5:1. I pay for water so I really hate wasting it.

I just checked out Filterguys again. Even their system OCEAN REEF MISER SIX STAGE RO/DI 150 GPD Water saver still was Production Water 5.58 GPH or 133.92 GPD and Wastewater @ 9.07 GPH or 217.62 GPD. I just never realized how much was wasted!!

So their system works best at 65 psi tap water. How can I test the psi of tap?

Last edited:
So what's the best, and most cost affective RO/DI Watersaver unit out there? Is just adding the second membrain to a standard unit as good? Any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I'm no expert at all but I believe you need atleast 60psi to run the dual membranes effectively. So a pump will be needed. I run around 120psi with mine. It's a Dr Macs /aqua fx unit with a dual membrane kit. The newer Vertex is one to look at if I remember correctly. I'll try and do some research.

I ordered the Vertex Aquaristik Puratek 100 GPD RO/DI system, it should be here in few days. once I setup I will let you know if the 1:1 water/waste ratio is correct.

The things that have worked for me are:
1. Booster pump
2. better membranes
3. looping the 1st membrane to feed the second membrane
You combine the above with any sytem, and you can make some remarkable strides in waste reduction/effiencey. As well - the quality of product water will improve.
T

I ordered the Vertex Aquaristik Puratek 100 GPD RO/DI system, it should be here in few days. once I setup I will let you know if the 1:1 water/waste ratio is correct.

Very interested, keep us posted!! Thats a nice looking unit and the cost isnt to bad either

Thanks

all rodi waste water gets stored in a 550g vat. it was like $350 but i felt obligated to get one.

my daughter got inside to help set the bulkheads
0516081949.jpg

we pump the water to our washing machine which uses about 50g per load for both wash and rinse cycles. also, used for watering plants.
rodistorage.jpg

tfp- please elaborate on the set up. How do you use it for the rinse as well? Do yo have to manually stop it an fill for the rinse or do you just leave that Mag pump on during the whole cycle?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Kc3

kc3, it takes about 7 min to pump the water into the washing machine. i manually flick a switch that powers the mag9. i've got 50ft of python tubing with a valve on the end of it to control flow. got it down to a science now...7 minutes to fill then come back 18minutes later to re-fill it for the rinse cycle. automated completely by the timer on my Iphone :).

Very nice. I still have not done anything with my waste officially. I only use it for washing clothes when the timing is right. I will get a container after the holidays. Your post gets me thinking. I'm not sure I can trust the wife with that one. It would need to be as automatic as possible. :)

Vertex Aquaristik Puratek 100 GPD RO/DI system

Vertex Aquaristik Puratek 100 GPD RO/DI system

Ok, my RO'DI system arrived with couple of issues,

1. It had one wrong filter canister:mad:; it was replaced by the company....
2. When the filter canister arrived, I setup the system and immediately realized that my water pressure gauge with the Booster pump running was not registering past 5PSI....:hmm4:
3. checked all the canisters and there was no RO filter installed by the manufacture...round two!:furious:
4. called the company again and they told me is on the way.

But having the system in my house and not installing was just killing me...so I got an old RO filter ( 2 years old) from friend of mine.... The system beside all the hiccups works great. Water pressure reads some were around 110-120 psi and the ratio is 1:1.1. Now I just got to wait and see when my new RO filter comes in what will my TDS reading will be, the TDS fluctuates between 04 to10ppm!:worried:

Back