Red Sea Max Owners Club

I have never been able to get any mods to work and I've only read rumors of people having any success with the factory skimmer.

Tunze nano skimmer a year later is still working great for me. I bought it after all the skimmer mods left me wanting more.

Patio, does it actually work? Do you get skimmate?

Are there any other skimmers you guys are using on the RSM?

Works awesome. You can skim dry or, I prefer, wet. The key to the tunze is keeping up with your top off water. This is very easy with the RSM because the evaporation is very slow. If the water gets noticeably low then your skimmer will perform noticeably less. The Tunze has a line printed on it that shows where the water line should be. You can lower or raise the skimmer in the back chamber to your desired level, then just make sure you top off your water every other day or so.

My buddy saw mine perform and purchase the same for his RSM almost immediately.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15055645#post15055645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patio
Works awesome. You can skim dry or, I prefer, wet. The key to the tunze is keeping up with your top off water. This is very easy with the RSM because the evaporation is very slow. If the water gets noticeably low then your skimmer will perform noticeably less. The Tunze has a line printed on it that shows where the water line should be. You can lower or raise the skimmer in the back chamber to your desired level, then just make sure you top off your water every other day or so.

My buddy saw mine perform and purchase the same for his RSM almost immediately.
Thanks. The stock skimmer simply does not work.

Does the Tunze fit in the stock skimmer comparment? Do you have a pic of it installed on your rsm?

Don't/won't have a pic. It does fit if you if you remove the very back lid or cut a small circle hole for the collection cup to sit a half inch above the lid. I removed the back lid a long time before getting the tunze skimmer for daily dosing of two part and such.

You can look through this thread and find some pics of the tunze nano skimmer in the RSM. I'm pretty sure.

Here are some pictures with the Tunze Nano in and RSM

DSC03019.jpg

DSC03020.jpg

Here is a Review for anyone interested.

Just a quick update on the RSM skimmer design from Sapphire Aquatics.

On the third and final beta... Design is solid. Micro bubbles are zero and foam production is wonderful.

A number of people have asked for the shot of how it compares in size to the factory skimmer. Here is a side by shot with the 3 beta's.

RSM130_Sapphire_skimmer_066.jpg

The latest model with the curved reaction chamber to allow more reaction time.

RSM130_Sapphire_skimmer_087.jpg

Regards,

We only have 4 fish in ours, but I know of others who have 9. But they have more time available to maintain the system.

Its not so much a question of quantity as much as it is size.

This is what I have in mine. - Feed a variety of different foods once a day

Coral Beauty Centropyge bispinosus
Neon Pseudochromis Pseudochromis aldabraensis
Clown Gobie, Green Gobiodon atrangulatus
Green Wrasse (Juvenile) Halichoeres chloropterus - Will move to my large reef when he gets to about 3"
Ocellaris Clown fish Amphiprion ocellaris

2 Star Fish - Feed directly once a week

Fancy Brittle Star Ophiure protoreaster
Fancy Tiger stripped Serpent Star Ophiolepsis superba

Hi all - just found Reef Central RSM Club ... love my RSM - 1st post :)

jdeveaux - can you tell me some more about the new Sapphire rsm prototype skimmer, I am interested.

Like how quite is it? Any pics or vids of it in action?

Last edited:
This skimmer is very quiet; pretty much silent. The fans are louder than the skimmer. If you go back one page on the thread there are some pictures of the prototype and I will be posting more this weekend.

I will need to run it in a sump or something to get action shots of the body since the back wall of the RSM is tinted. I will work on that this weekend as well.

jdeveaux: Wheres the pics? Cant wait to see this skimmer working and in my RSM. Are you using the mesh wheel in this skimmer?

SuperR: I use a Current 1/15 HP works great! I do not have it under my stand but it would easily fit. You would certainly want to buy the cabinet fan though. I also use a maxijet 1200 has my feed pump fits well in skimmer compartment of RSM.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15102562#post15102562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zenzence
jdeveaux: Wheres the pics? Cant wait to see this skimmer working and in my RSM. Are you using the mesh wheel in this skimmer?

SuperR: I use a Current 1/15 HP works great! I do not have it under my stand but it would easily fit. You would certainly want to buy the cabinet fan though. I also use a maxijet 1200 has my feed pump fits well in skimmer compartment of RSM.

They are coming - Family and the day job come first :D I put in the release candidate last night. Yes the skimmer uses a mesh wheel and next week I'm switching out the mesh wheels with a newer mesh that in beta testing has easily doubled the foam action.

The skimmer uses two pumps and it is a beast. I also got a look at the plans for the new media reactor that they are working on to fit in the compartment with the skimmer and the design is very unique; I can't wait for the production model.

I do not use a chiller currently but it would be very easy to fit one in the cabinet with my ATO holding tank.

I'll get some updates on my entire tank setup posted later today. Just waiting for the lights to come on and the coffee to kick in.

Back