Reefing without a LFS

Jade5051

That guy...
I just picked up a 75g for $100 during Petco's dollar per gallon sale. I'm unsure what I'm going to do with it just yet, freshwater or saltwater? I have all the equipment and experience to make either work. My main concern with a saltwater setup is I don't have a LFS that supports saltwater. One of the LFSs here will order the saltwater fish/corals if I want them but I have to be there for pick up when it shows up. Not a huge deal but I can't select the exact fish I want nor can I assess its health prior to selecting it, both of which I have always done. The closest store that has saltwater fish on hand is 90 minutes away. I've never reefed without a LFS. I've never bought livestock online, salt online, rocks online, etc. I'll have to order everything online. Fish, salt, rocks, sand, medications, food, etc. I should have enough backup equipment to get me through a few days due to equipment failures. I already order almost all my equipment online. I usually rely on my LFS for consumables and livestock. Can anyone please share their experience of not having a LFS?

I've lived in areas where having a LFS wasn't much of an option, and it worked out fine by ordering everything online. Just do your homework on vendors, equipment, etc. so you don't have any unpleasant surprises. Also, keep an eye out for sales and then buy in bulk (e.g. salt).

I have an LFS within 15 minutes and buy almost everything online. They just don't even come close on price.

I buy my salt from Chewy.com and they deliver to my door. I have it auto-shipped which is very convenient.

Been reefing without LFS since 2007 when we moved to Las Cruces New Mexico. Doctor Foster and Smith and Liveaquaria were my go to

I'd go saltwater if you have a desire for it. I maintain a freshwater tank as well as salt, but honestly, the browns and greens predominate, and the colors are hard come by in freshwater. It's very much a personal choice, however, because a freshwater can be a thing of beauty in its own right.

I buy most of my stuff online, and plus you build points and get free stuff when you buy. Also most LFS can't really compete with dry goods when it comes to the online world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, LFSs are best for window shopping and impulse buys. I get most of my dry goods online due to price. Most coral I buy either online, or from local hobbyists. You might be able to find a local or semi local reefing group to be part of. Might find someone who could help in case of emergencies.

Back