Reeflo Orca 200 Skimmer Issue

Gieser

Either my tank has no waste, or my skimmer is having a problem. I have the extended collection cup for this skimmer, and it has always done a good job. My tank is a 350 "L" and the skimmer is fed directly off of one of the overflow boxes (the smaller of the two). I went in to check on things tonight, and the water in the skimmer was low (below the neckline). Prior to the past week or two, the skimmer has been running 100% open and skimming the grunge exceptionally well. Tonight, when I close the Venturi air valve, the pump sounded like it has something knocking around in it. I thought maybe the needle wheel is worn or having a problem. Without dismantling the entire skimmer, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. It has been running for 4 1/2 years.

This morning things seemed fine with the skimmer, it seems to have created some good gunk overnight, but it just not as heavy as it has been. it seems like it has lost its umph!

I have a small skimmer for a 29 gallon nanno. Every so often when I feel the collection cup has not been doing it's job of collecting I will run the skimmer in a tub of white vinegar for about 40 minutes and it bubbles a lot better after I put it back in my tank.

I have the same skimmer as you. Make sure the venturi is clear of salt creep and the like. You can take it apart while the skimmer is running to have a look without issue. Just don't turn the skimmer off while it is off or it will flood.

If the water level was below the neckline then you definately won't be producing good skimmate. Have you changed your discharge level on the skimmer. I have found that if my sump level rises and my discharge line is below the water level my skimmer greatly reduces it's output. Other than that I agree with the above, a good vinegar bath is standard maintenance.

I have the same skimmer as you. Make sure the venturi is clear of salt creep and the like. You can take it apart while the skimmer is running to have a look without issue. Just don't turn the skimmer off while it is off or it will flood.

If the water level was below the neckline then you definately won't be producing good skimmate. Have you changed your discharge level on the skimmer. I have found that if my sump level rises and my discharge line is below the water level my skimmer greatly reduces it's output. Other than that I agree with the above, a good vinegar bath is standard maintenance.

So this may be a crazy question...Should I just shut off the flow to the skimmer from the tank, fill it up with Vinegar, and run it making sure nothing flows through the output? I have not done this before, so I want make sure I don't screw it up. How long should I run vinegar, and how many times should I "rinse"?

I would shut off the flow, given a shut off valve of course. Drain the skimmer as you won't get water everywhere. Open or remove venturi and just soak the living you know what out of the pump with vinegar. If you can, use a medium bristle tooth brush to scrub gunk. Flush a few times and put back. I have the 250 and no problems.

I have the same skimmer and similar issues. The vinegar bath is easy. Just close the return and add vinegar. Open the drain, rinse and your back on line.

I have been told that this skimmer was an overkill for my tank and that was one reason for the lack of skimmate

I am giving it a bath with now. I let it soak a while, then I let it run through the pump for a bit. Scrubbed it up all good. About to flush out the vinegar a few times and get it back online.

Back