Regal Angel Primer

Orange belly Indian Ocean are 35% off this week at LA (email subscriber super special)

For some reason I don't get the email news letter. When trying to sign up the website says my email is already on file.

Mind sending the code per PM? Just in case I break down and order one...

Trapped and release him to my DT yesterday afternoon. He is dealing with all the large fish OK. In fact he is given my smaller blue breast Regal a little problem, but not too much. I hope (think) everything will be fine in a week or two. He even eat pretty well when I feed the tank this AM.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RegalAngel20160050801.jpg
    RegalAngel20160050801.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
What is the consensus on the best size? My yellow belly that was 5 - 6 inches didn't make it.

I searched the tread and everyone recommends between 2.5-3.5, is that still correct?

What is the consensus on the best size? My yellow belly that was 5 - 6 inches didn't make it.

I searched the tread and everyone recommends between 2.5-3.5, is that still correct?

Yes, I prefer Red Sea. But they are hard to come by

What is the easiest way to have two Regals?

Put them both in at the same time?

Smaller (female) first. Let it acclimate and get the lay of the land for a few days and then add the larger (male).

The smaller should make signs of submission when facing the larger. If not, you may have two males, but that's not very likely with juveniles and young adults below 100 mm (4 inch).

I would say 10 mm (~1/2") is the ideal length difference for 65 mm (~2.5" to 100 mm (~4") specimen.

here's one I got. Got a cool little miss bar. collected from Marshalls. Arrives tomorrow morning! My first angel fish.

I'll be putting it in a 150gal SPS tank. I have a Moorish Idol in there that requires constant feeding. So hopefully the Regal will continue eating. It's currently eating mysis at Colin's.

https://youtu.be/1xbM6bv55hs

Smaller (female) first. Let it acclimate and get the lay of the land for a few days and then add the larger (male).

The smaller should make signs of submission when facing the larger. If not, you may have two males, but that's not very likely with juveniles and young adults below 100 mm (4 inch).

I would say 10 mm (~1/2") is the ideal length difference for 65 mm (~2.5" to 100 mm (~4") specimen.
What is the submission look like? My smaller blue chest compressed his fins and swim sideways a little (body horizontal, actually about 45 degree, to sand instead of vertical). Is that submission?

How can you tell which is a male and which is a female? lol

here's one I got. Got a cool little miss bar. collected from Marshalls. Arrives tomorrow morning! My first angel fish.

I'll be putting it in a 150gal SPS tank. I have a Moorish Idol in there that requires constant feeding. So hopefully the Regal will continue eating. It's currently eating mysis at Colin's.

https://youtu.be/1xbM6bv55hs

you get him from Collin?

What is the submission look like? My smaller blue chest compressed his fins and swim sideways a little (body horizontal, actually about 45 degree, to sand instead of vertical). Is that submission?
That's roughly how it looks like, though the compressed fins for itself can also be the precursor to aggression or an attack.
For the submission pose they get their body in somewhat of an "S" shape while tilted sidewise and in front of the dominant, usually exposing their side.
From above it looks like they try to form an italic "T".
When it gets further towards bonding and spawning the female may also do something similar to the sidewise shaking you see with clownfish.
I've seen that all with dwarf angels (C. argi, C. bicolor, C. bispinosa).

How can you tell which is a male and which is a female? lol
The little ones are all still females, but the larger one will eventually become the male.
I would say everything that comes in below 5 to 6 inch is still female.

Mature males have massive gill thorns, usually twice as long as those of females of equal size. This is usually the easiest way to tell male and female apart.

Under aquarium conditions they may mature at a smaller size, but the gill thorn difference between male and female should always develop.

Back