Regal Angel Primer

small Regals

small Regals

What's up with the flood of small yellow belly regals suddenly available. I picked up one that is under 2" and though it is eating and doing well in QT I'm still worried if it was captured with cyanide. When trying to get him to start eating, I used every live food I could find and wouldn't you know it he prefers small pellets, but only while they are sinking. Once any food hits the bottom he will not touch it. He started eating Mysis but I have to chop it up first due to his size.:sad2:

IMG_1586[1].jpg

Do you guys feed fresh manila clams from the Asian market once in awhile?

yes and all the fish love it! you can buy the large ones and just toss half shell in.

I've been feeding all my fish wild caught frozen from Asian market. grind them to small pieces and freeze into thin sheets. Then just clip a piece onto a nori holder and watch the fish go nuts!

What's up with the flood of small yellow belly regals suddenly available. I picked up one that is under 2" and though it is eating and doing well in QT I'm still worried if it was captured with cyanide. When trying to get him to start eating, I used every live food I could find and wouldn't you know it he prefers small pellets, but only while they are sinking. Once any food hits the bottom he will not touch it. He started eating Mysis but I have to chop it up first due to his size.:sad2:

View attachment 349947

That's why I can't wait till 30 days is up

View attachment 349947

attachment.php

You know where he is from?

I think at that size they are still opportunist feeders that take whatever they find.

View attachment 349947

There was a year around the turn of the century that tiny clown triggers flooded the market. Every LFS in my area had 20 of them at $10 each. Maybe where ever these guys are coming from they had an extremely good hatch? As brave as mine is I am hoping he just swam out to the diver and was snagged with a net.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a lot on DD lately. My LFS got a yellow belly in, 5+", sold it to me for 1/2 of what they're on divers den for, which means he got it very cheap also.

My little guy was listed as Orange Belly Regal Africa. My LFS got four in and sold all in a week. They were all thin but were tasting everything offered. Mine started swallowing food on day 3 but only small amounts at a time. It likes "Zoo Pro" pellets which I'm feeding about six times a day.

Minh I broke all my rules and the Golden rule of QT with this regal. With me being 0 for 2 with tiny regals I decided to do something different, right or wrong. I bathed her in everything from formalin to methane blue to prazi pro for over 3 hours before placing her in my office tank. I didn’t have to worry about aggressive fish since all the fish are social with a pair of golden angels that never some out of the rocks other than to eat, blue spot jawfish and a very small CBB. Since it is my office tank she gets fed 8 times a day on average. Plus has plenty of liverock to graze on since the golden do not graze in the open. This one came from LA and the second one was delivered today, currently in Prazi Pro bath

Last edited:
Minh I broke all my rules and the Golden rule of QT with this regal. With me being 0 for 2 with tiny regals I decided to do something different, right or wrong. I bathed her in everything from formalin to methane blue to prazi pro for over 3 hours before placing her in my office tank. I didn't have to worry about aggressive fish since all the fish are social with a pair of golden angels that never some out of the rocks other than to eat, blue spot jawfish and a very small CBB. Since it is my office tank she gets fed 8 times a day on average. Plus has plenty of liverock to graze on since the golden do not graze in the open. This one came from LA and the second one was delivered today, currently in Prazi Pro bath

What is your formaline, meth blue, and prazipro procedure?

Acclimate to my water then 1 gallon of my tank water mixed with 1/2ml of ich x for 1 hr. Then the exact same in another bucket with 1/2ml methane blue, and then a new bucket with 1/2ml prazi pro. After I place in another bucket with just tank water, after 1/2 hr I move it into my tank. I move the fish from bucket to bucket using a styrofoam cup. Like I said not the way I normally have done it right or wrong, I just wasn't going to place a fish in my tank without some sort of bath. Todays process took 4 1/2 hours. Minh the new fish is even smaller than the first, and I am not sure if the CBB is not happy seeing another regal but he is being a little bit of a bully.

Acclimate to my water then 1 gallon of my tank water mixed with 1/2ml of ich x for 1 hr. Then the exact same in another bucket with 1/2ml methane blue, and then a new bucket with 1/2ml prazi pro. After I place in another bucket with just tank water, after 1/2 hr I move it into my tank. I move the fish from bucket to bucket using a styrofoam cup. Like I said not the way I normally have done it right or wrong, I just wasn't going to place a fish in my tank without some sort of bath. Todays process took 4 1/2 hours. Minh the new fish is even smaller than the first, and I am not sure if the CBB is not happy seeing another regal but he is being a little bit of a bully.

Just wondering/an idea... (and if you weren't in a hurry to get the fish into your display...)

Couldn't all that be done in the QT?

Put the fish in the QT - add the Formalin - then after (an hour?, or?) run carbon to get rid of the Formalin.

Then the next day - add the Meth Blue for (an hour?, or?) - run carbon to get rid of the Meth Blue.

Then the next day add the Prazi for (an hour?, or?) - run the carbon to get rid of the Prazi.

And then just let the fish stay in QT for awhile?

i would formalin bath, then ttm, prazi during ttm and then in to cycle QT tank for observation for velvet. and if all goes well after 2 weeks place in display.

Back