Regal Angel Primer

This was my first regal ever. No idea where exactly she was from. Interesting is the tiny gill thorn for a 4+ inch regal.
Another interesting thing is how the bars loop in the anal fin. That seems to be more typical for the Pacific subspecies.

attachment.php

These were my Philippine regals when I got them - way skinny, not because they were not eating, but because they didn't get enough nutritious food at the store.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was the dominant a few weeks later after vigorous feeding when I moved them to the DT system:

attachment.php

By now, over 10 months later, both are quite fat.

they were very skinny, great job !

An update with the LA Orange Maldives Baby Regals; baby regal #1 is 1 week old in my care eating like a pig, swims out in the open. The Pair of Golden Angels which have been in this tank for 10 months are actually afraid of him/her. Positives the Golden’s are coming out of the rocks to eat, first time since I have had them.
Baby Regal #2; did not work out with #1, so I moved #2 into a QT tank I have set up at home. I have not witnessed it eat. But with being shipped and then moved again it stands to reason.

Baby #1

And since she won't sit still to be measured

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually catch them with a beaker, drain all the water and then use a tape measure to get their sizes as precise as possible. They may be p*ssed for a moment but don't get any damage from it.

Those of you with Yellow or orange bellied Regals, did you Prazipro them? I only ask because the one I had didn't take well to PP at all. Uncontrollable swimming and later died, same thing just happened to a friends yellow belly after being what I would consider "good". Same thing dosed it at night, next morning the Regal was found against the Vectra intake fro the closed loop... I have a Grey/Blue belly that has been thru several treatments of PP with no ill effects. (was with the yellow belly I had that didn't take well to the PP too)

Those of you with Yellow or orange bellied Regals, did you Prazipro them? I only ask because the one I had didn't take well to PP at all. Uncontrollable swimming and later died, same thing just happened to a friends yellow belly after being what I would consider "good". Same thing dosed it at night, next morning the Regal was found against the Vectra intake fro the closed loop... I have a Grey/Blue belly that has been thru several treatments of PP with no ill effects. (was with the yellow belly I had that didn't take well to the PP too)
that's curious and thank you for sharing. when using praziquantel, i often will use API general cure which is praziquantel and metronidazole in powder form and I've treated several regals without issue.

All my regals have gone through a Prazi Pro bath, only three have not gone through FW. two of the three went through Formalin and Methane Blue. Which I got the idea from Melvs reef and him using safety stop. My larger ones I added Prazi Pro to there QT water.

Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was odd that two of the yellow bellies acted the same way and later died from what I have to assume was the PP since literally both ate and acted great before the PP.

Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was odd that two of the yellow bellies acted the same way and later died from what I have to assume was the PP since literally both ate and acted great before the PP.

or they could be cyanide caught?

Red Sea Regal Angel - He looked too good to pass up

The last time I had a Regal was about 20 years ago. He only lasted a few days.

Friday, May 6, 2016, after work I dropped into Oceanlife Aquarium here in Houston and spotted a 4-5” Regal that looked perfect. He was in a mixed fish tank, swimming with the rest of the gang, annoyed by a flame angel that he would chase once in a while. He wasn’t shy and would come right up to the glass. Not timid at all. He picked at some of the rocks in the tank but only looked at the food Nick put in to show me if he was feeding. They had him for a bit over a week. His body was in good shape and he looked well nourished.

My tank is loaded with Zoas which I know could become a tasty snack for this angel. Nick even put a 3 polyp Zoa frag in with the Regal just to see what sort of interest he had in it. He looked interested for a few seconds and then passed on it (for now).

It was one of those irresistible spot buys and I knew better but I brought him home anyhow.

After acclimating and in the tank he was still bold and explored his new home. My adult chevron didn’t seem too happy about the new addition and did some posturing. Here’s a video of the Regal about an hour after being added to the tank: https://youtu.be/WbuL8xvtpb0

As the lights went down the Regal wanted to move into the cave in the tank but the chevron kept chasing him out.

Day two – The Regal had been bullied by the chevron overnight, had a split tail and was very shy. I tried all sorts of foods and he had no interest. He just wanted to stay away from the chevron and out of sight in the tank.

Skip a few days to Day 5 – The Regal was no longer intimidated by the chevron and looked interested in the frozen foods I feed each day. He would grab a piece in his mouth and spit it right out. It didn’t look like he was losing weight and I did see him defecate so I figured he must be eating something. The Zoas all looked healthy and fully opened. I picked up some live goose neck clams and fresh shrimp from HEB. Added a half shell of clam and some bits of shrimp and I saw him finally eat a couple of small pieces of shrimp.

Now almost a week later - He really likes to eat the shrimp but only in small pieces. He also picks at the clams and tears off a piece to eat every so often. He seems to be in constant hunting mode now for food. Not shy at all he completely ignores the chevron and his tail fin has fully healed. He swims everywhere in the tank but still stays out of the cave. He is not even scared when I put the half clam shell in the tank with my tank tongs. All Zoas (for now) are still looking good.

I took a big risk on picking up the Regal but it looks like he is going to do fine! Zoas may be a different story though…

My new baby Regal. Really small, maybe 1.5 inches, a little bit more. Wish me luck, I am going to need it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BabyRegal2016051202.jpg
    BabyRegal2016051202.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
I just finished running my new Yellow Belly Regal through a 5 day treatment of Prazipro in a 10 gallon QT. She is eating larger portions with each feeding and doing great. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Let us know if the fresh live oysters and live mussels worked!

have not tried them yet. it started to eat lrs fish frenzy out of the water column so i tried half clams that i already had. it did not seem to eat them but it would not let my idol go near them. then my snowflake eel found them. i put a angel formula with sponge in and it showed no interest. i am going to try the oysters and mussels.

Back