Regal Angel Primer

Very nice Minh, well my first one is still very brave, but the second one in QT is very shy and not real aggressive in eating

Regal seen to be somewhat immune to Haddoni sting. When my Regal first went into the tank (my very first Regal) the tangs were harassed him. He went straight into the carpet and the tang doe snot follow. Almost gave me a heart attack.
My Rea Sea Regal brush against the Haddon and did not jerk in pain or the Haddoni react in any way.
So far this Regal hiding underneath my Haddoni. I have private area for him but he love to hang around the anemone.

I don't QT my fish. I only make sure that they don't have any significant disease. I never have severe disease in my tank. Over the last 36 years or so of keeping fishes, I had less than 5 fish died from adding diseased fish into my tank.

Clams, Anemones and coral is another mater entirely.

I caught my regals stealing food out of giganteas.

BTW, did you put him into your DT without quarantine?
I added him in my Refugium where I keep the other Regal angels for months to get them fat and eating well before I release them to the DT

Wow you are lucky that's like playing Russian roulette.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I tried my best to created a diverse tank and very diverse sand bed. IMO, the sand bed and the tank control the disease. Once in a long while when adding a new fish to my tank, I sometime have ich, but these never more than a spot or two on my tangs. They never have much of a problem with them. I do have a cleaner shrimp pair in my tank that service the fish. Even my Tusk leave them alone unless I go on long vacation and not adequately feed my tank.
In the past when disaster struck my tank (my previous one not this one) and the fish really stressed out, Ich did not break out.

I caught my regals stealing food out of giganteas.

BTW, did you put him into your DT without quarantine?

This was my first thought too...

I don't QT my fish. I only make sure that they don't have any significant disease. I never have severe disease in my tank. Over the last 36 years or so of keeping fishes, I had less than 5 fish died from adding diseased fish into my tank.

Clams, Anemones and coral is another mater entirely.

You are one lucky SOB, can you rub some of that luck off on me? I QT all fish and 9 out of 10 times fish come in with disease or diseases. Always working behind the 8 ball so to speak...

I tried my best to created a diverse tank and very diverse sand bed. IMO, the sand bed and the tank control the disease. Once in a long while when adding a new fish to my tank, I sometime have ich, but these never more than a spot or two on my tangs. They never have much of a problem with them. I do have a cleaner shrimp pair in my tank that service the fish. Even my Tusk leave them alone unless I go on long vacation and not adequately feed my tank.
In the past when disaster struck my tank (my previous one not this one) and the fish really stressed out, Ich did not break out.

How does your sand bed control diseases?

:confused:

Now LA has the small Maldives regals on sale for everybody (@ $145).
QM must have hit the motherload of them and got so many that they don't know where to put them...

I tried my best to created a diverse tank and very diverse sand bed. IMO, the sand bed and the tank control the disease. ...
What do you mean with "diverse sand bed"? What is the diversity, the sand or what's living in it.

I'm struggling right now with keeping the gravel in my 100 gallon from drowning in detritus. In some places it already forms mounds and you can't see the gravel anymore.

In the 18" cube I just replaced with a 40B there was a dense layer of muddy silt underneath the top gravel layer.

yeah i wouldn't trust QM fishes to not have any parasites. I would quarantine them no matter how delicate they are.

Let me compose an answer to you guys tonight when I have more time. It really due to different philosophy of reef keeping.
There are many ways to skin a cat, but in this case, we cannot do it part one way, and part the other. One way or another, you cannot keep things half and half and expect things to work out well.

What do you mean with "diverse sand bed"? What is the diversity, the sand or what's living in it.

I'm struggling right now with keeping the gravel in my 100 gallon from drowning in detritus. In some places it already forms mounds and you can't see the gravel anymore.

In the 18" cube I just replaced with a 40B there was a dense layer of muddy silt underneath the top gravel layer.

How does your sand bed control diseases?

:confused:

You are one lucky SOB, can you rub some of that luck off on me? I QT all fish and 9 out of 10 times fish come in with disease or diseases. Always working behind the 8 ball so to speak...

yeah i wouldn't trust QM fishes to not have any parasites. I would quarantine them no matter how delicate they are.

The part I don't get is why so many people have so many problems with parasites and diseases. It's just not my experience.

In the past I would buy a couple of thousand dollar worth of fish from De Jong and just put them into my tanks. The only thing I ever saw was a minor ich flare up, and that always went away without any interference from my end.

Let me compose an answer to you guys tonight when I have more time. It really due to different philosophy of reef keeping.
There are many ways to skin a cat, but in this case, we cannot do it part one way, and part the other. One way or another, you cannot keep things half and half and expect things to work out well.

Thanks, I'm really looking to get a handle on my sand bed.

its the nature of the beast. all these wholesalers have so many turn overs their systems got to be infested with something.

The only thing I ever saw was a minor ich flare up, and that always went away without any interference from my end.

I have had a similar experience in the past. However if a PBT, blue hippo tang or achilles tang, went in, the ich would spiral out of control. If I removed it before it got bad, the ich would come back under control. I no longer try to keep those three sp.

I have sensitive fish, all very fat and no disease. No ich either for a long time. My fish list is as below (my sig)

I have had a similar experience in the past. However if a PBT, blue hippo tang or achilles tang, went in, the ich would spiral out of control. If I removed it before it got bad, the ich would come back under control. I no longer try to keep those three sp.

That's why my tanks are tang free zones :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

By big guys
attachment.php

That's why my tanks are tang free zones :D

I have a yellow, desjardini, vlamingi, and Caribbean blue and no sign or symptoms of ich.

On another note, I noticed my Regal is growing some good sized cheek spines!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160513_193836.jpg
    20160513_193836.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
Back