Regal Angel Primer

I have a yellow, desjardini, vlamingi, and Caribbean blue and no sign or symptoms of ich.

On another note, I noticed my Regal is growing some good sized cheek spines!

attachment.php
How big is he?

He is about 5.5". Here he was 12/1/2015 I got him 9/1/2015. I think he needs a girlfriend!

picture.php

Last edited:
.....What do you mean with "diverse sand bed"? What is the diversity, the sand or what's living in it.

I'm struggling right now with keeping the gravel in my 100 gallon from drowning in detritus. In some places it already forms mounds and you can't see the gravel anymore.

In the 18" cube I just replaced with a 40B there was a dense layer of muddy silt underneath the top gravel layer.
You should use tiger tail sea cucumbers. They will handle these with ease. They gobble these sediments and poop out clean sand.
Wow you are lucky that's like playing Russian roulette. .....
Not at all. Lease see my long winded explanation.
This was my first thought too...
...........You are one lucky SOB, can you rub some of that luck off on me? I QT all fish and 9 out of 10 times fish come in with disease or diseases. Always working behind the 8 ball so to speak...
Not at all, please see below.
How does your sand bed control diseases?

:confused:
Read on.

Let me try to answer all you guys or anybody else who may have these question. First let me say that I am a successful reef and fish keeper. Many species of fish spawned in my care, in fact I try to keep breeding units of fish and almost all of them spawned under my care. The larger fish grew well and all are very fat. Although I have a relatively large tank, I don't keep species that have potential of >10-12 inches mature size. I hardly have any disease in my tank. Rarely I see a spot or two on my fish but no other problem.

I am not adverse to keeping QT tank, in fact I keep full 30 gal reef to use to QT my anemones, clams and corals. I am not adverse to treat animals with medications. I have HT set up including Radion light, Finnex digital control heater, and Vortech PH to treat my prized Gigantea and Magnifica. I can use these to treat fish too if needed.

I actually was the person who started the protocol of using 30 minutes fresh water dip for clams to successfully treated Giant Clam Pinched Mantel Disease (PMD) in the early 2000's when this disease ravage clams keepers and sellers alike. This protocol, or slight variation of this protocol still is the only way to treat PMD.

While I was not the first person to use antibiotics to treat anemones, I was also the person who devised the protocol of using Ciprofloxacin or Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazoleto treat infected anemones which really help the survival of newly imported anemones.

With that said, I chose not to QT or treat my fish prophylactically for disease because I feel it is not needed. If the fish is sick and if I feel that the fish most likely not survive without help then I treat him, but not prophylactic treatment.

I feel this way though experience and from my observation. Please do not ask me to produce any scientific paper to back up what I wrote, or why I do this.

IMO, and IME, every pathogen is on the lunch menu of something. Having a thriving sand bed will handle a lot of the pathogen. The reason why ich does not spread in my tank is because the parasites and/or the tomites does not survive long enough to hatch and find a new fish. This is the same with a lot of the other pathogen. In a sterile, bare bottom tank, all the parasite lived formed cysts and released a lot of tomites thus perpetuate the cycle, in my tank, they just don't survive in very large number, if any. This is just ich, other pathogen will have vulnerable parts in their life cycle. This is just logical to reason. Nature just don't waste anything. If there is some food somewhere (the parasites), there will be a predator evolved to take advantage of it. Plus if there is a invulnerable predators or parasites, then there will not be any life on earth.

I strives to have a system with diversity of fauna and flora. I tried to choose fish for biological control of unwanted pest. I have a reasonable deep sand bed with variety of size pebbles to accommodate various animals. I seeded my sand bed with various sources, healthy tank, and life sands from various store. I also get shovelful full of sand and mud from the Corpus Christi Bay in the middle of the Summer and put it into my tank. I seed my LR by place them in the CC bay for 6 months. Take them put and keep them under water until put them into my tank. I got a bunch of crabs from this which I trapped for months, and now my Harlequin Tusk enjoyed as snack now and then, I still see one or two small crabs in my tank several year since I started with these rocks.

Things reproduced in my tank, even turbo snails. I got baby snails that grow into adults. Not so much anymore since I keep my Harlequin Tusk. He eat all the small tiny snails.
I even got flatworm plague in my refugium before but they just start to died down and go away with me do nothing trying to kill them. The only pest in my tank now are Borneman's anemones (Phymanthus buitendijki). They multiply slowly but after about 10-12 years I got quite a few. Very hardy and with very strong sting. I don't know how to eliminate these guys from my tank.Sorry for the long winded answer

Giovanni,
How big was he when you got him 1.5 years ago? Mine barely grew from a little over 2 grew to 3 inches over 2 years.

Minh - makes a lot of sense to me. I too try to keep a diverse fauna and flora in my tank. Your experience mirrors another fellow reefer, Paul B, who also collect wild pods and mud from the Long Island waters, and who's fish seldom get sick.

I have a question. Do you keep a sand sifting goby? I know it's not in your signature but just in case you forgot. I am worried that a goby might deplete the pods in the sandbed.

I might have to get another baby regal for $145 to dollar cost average my recently purchase. Just hope that they're still available when I can find an opportunity to stay home to receive the fish.

I have a question. Do you keep a sand sifting goby? I know it's not in your signature but just in case you forgot. I am worried that a goby might deplete the pods in the sandbed.
I do not keep them for this reason. I however keep a Copper Banded Butterfly. This fish is pretty bad for the worms in the DT. All my Medusa worm were wipe out. He found and eat bristle worms all the time but these guys hid well and not got wipe out like the medusa worms (still have them in the refugium and sump). All the aptasia are gone from the DT.

I do not keep them for this reason. I however keep a Copper Banded Butterfly. This fish is pretty bad for the worms in the DT. All my Medusa worm were wipe out. He found and eat bristle worms all the time but these guys hid well and not got wipe out like the medusa worms (still have them in the refugium and sump). All the aptasia are gone from the DT.

Thanks Minh. I keep a diamond watchman and I used to see a lot more pods before.

I also collect rocks from the lagoons in NJ waters, for the algae and stuff growing on them. Angels love to graze on these rocks.

Last night I moved the dominant Philippine regal to the new 40B where the submissive has been for a week now. When I introduced him inside the trap both made submissive gestures to each other. Since I released him he has been hiding in the rocks. The good news is that there has been so far no chasing or fighting - let's see it that holds.
Both are identical in size (with a length of 80 mm), so If this will work depends solely on their personalities.
Last time they got along for a month before the dominant started the attacks. But back then he was the skinnier one and obviously wanted to get rid of the food competition. I observed the same with my Sumatra regal pair - the male chased the female away more when he was still well under ideal weight, but now that his weight is up, there isn't too much of that anymore.

I put the new little Maldives regal into the QT with my new dottybacks (1 neon & 3 orchids). With just 55 mm in length he is the smallest fish in the tank, but the dottybacks are not bothering him. He already started picking on the rocks and I think he also took some of the live brine shrimp I added last night. I don't think this little guy will make too much trouble with feeding.

I'm kind of contemplating If I should order another one to make a Maldives regal pair while they are still available and on sale.

I read that another way, instead of using a mirror, is to section off a part of your tank with egg crate - to keep the aggressive fish alone - while the new fish is exploring the new tank.

Regal Angel Primer

I was using the mirror mainly cause the Achilles hybrid might attack my black hybrid. But he never looked at him. Only went after the yellow tang. Even the yellow tang never attack the black which was a relief since he's so small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has been eating real well. Have had him for about two weeks and I just noticed today a few spots of ich on his fins. I already lost one regal a little while back and if I lose this one my wife will kill me. I do not have access to a quarantine setup. How worried should I be. I soak all food in Kent garlic guard. Is getting a cleaner wrasse or shrimp worth it?

Mine has been eating real well. Have had him for about two weeks and I just noticed today a few spots of ich on his fins. I already lost one regal a little while back and if I lose this one my wife will kill me. I do not have access to a quarantine setup. How worried should I be. I soak all food in Kent garlic guard. Is getting a cleaner wrasse or shrimp worth it?

No. Cleaner shrimp/wrasse will do nothing for the fish.

Ich is survivable, and some fish do get an immunity to a certain strain... However your best course of action is to put it in a hospital tank. With a tank large enough for a regal, there really isn't any excuse for not QT'ing...

I've read a lot of negative things about quarantining them, like them not eating. I have had fish in a tank for over 6 months without a single sign of ich and all of the sudden one gets picked on and the next day broken out in ich. I think whether or not you quarantine them before hand they can still get ich.

I've read a lot of negative things about quarantining them, like them not eating. I have had fish in a tank for over 6 months without a single sign of ich and all of the sudden one gets picked on and the next day broken out in ich. I think whether or not you quarantine them before hand they can still get ich.

Please read the Fish Disease forum stickies. It is possible to have a tank without ich.

I don't believe this is the place to talk about this, please keep us updated on your fish though! I would love to see some pictures.

Back