removing live sand from Hawaii

There is a story about how taking things from the volcano upsets Pele, so it's bad luck. It's a modern story made up by the locals to keep tourists from walking off with all the black sand and lava rock. There's no legend that says you'll have bad luck for taking things from the islands.

If you want to do this that badly, but you do not want to be caught by the TSA than Mail it back to yourself. Or just bring it onto the plane, I could not see anyone taking it from you if you put it with your checked luggage.

not telling you what to do, right or wrong BUT if it were up to me, id fill up a usps flat rate shipper, fill it up and quadruple bag it :) if youre on the west coat, should be at your doorstep in a couple of days :)

unless your down on the reef, or at a tidepool during low tide, might be a moot point to bring some live sand home.

I brought back a bunch of crabs. They didn't say anything. I belive the bad luck thing tho. The wife left me and my my hair never grew back quite right. :hmm3:

interesting reading how many people know the bad luck part, i had not heard that an visited Hawaii not to long ago. I wish I lived somewhere that I could get sand for free :(

LOL...so if you CAN get through security with LS from Hawaii, beware the wrath of Pele, the fire Goddess. I've heard many folklore stories about how Pele curses anyone who takes a piece of her away from Hawaii. There have been many story (some exaggerated, some not) where people have taken rocks and sand from Hawaii, and had VERY bad luck happen to them.

:) spooky

I go to Kauai every year, I always bring back dry rock and fish. It is great to search a vast area to look for specific shapes and sizes to supplement existing rock work in my aquarium. Just get a recreational aquarium permit and you are good to go.

Its bad luck!!! Dont you remember the episode of the Brady Bunch where Bobby takes the tiki statue while in Hawaii. You dont want that kind of luck following you around. :)

Back