RocketEngineer's 75g/125g Setup

I'm sorry to hear that. I have heard that yellow tangs can be quite delicate, despite how common they are.

Was it giving any indications there might be a problem?

:dance:My BML fixture is in the mail.:dance:

I plan to put it onto the tank right after Labor Day. Hope this works better than the last one.

Despite the BML fixture arriving Friday, I went to visit the parents this weekend and finally got to open the box this afternoon.

The first thing I noticed was that the box is sized to the fixture, with a pocket at each end holding the wires and driver while protecting the fixture itself. On the inside of the box is this:

Now that shows a company is behind their product.

Here is what came:

Light strip, driver, mounting hardware, and dimmer.

As I started examining things I noticed a few details that I really like:
1) The driver is separate from the fixture. This means I don't have to mount the driver in the hood, exposed to the moist air all the time.
2) The connector between the strip and the driver has an O-ring! With the sealed fixture, that means the delicate electrical connections are sealed from the elements. No more rusty electronics.
3) The dimmer plugs into the driver. No fancy connections needed. Plus the cord on the dimmer means you can run it outside the stand while the driver stays mounted under the tank. In my case, I tucked it behind the tank but up on the stand within easy reach.

Ok, enough geek speak. On with the pictures.

New fixture installed in the frame:

And what every one has been waiting for....
Before:

After:

Despite it being much more blue, I like the change. The new LED is a definite improvement over what I built. Even though it has violet, green and red LEDs (like mine did), the diffuser they employ significantly reduces the disco effect that I suffered from last time. With the T5s on, it disappears entirely.

For now, I have the LEDs at 50% and will step the lights on and off in 15 minute increments. If the remaining corals finally start recovering, I might start rebuilding. Time will tell.

New lights = new pics

Anemone:

Hammerhead Coral:

I must be doing something right because the halimeda has returned:

My large hermit was out and about:

Enjoy.

WWOOWW. def didn't think one LED stripe would change the look that drastically. im in like shock and awe here. def a good upgrade there...

WWOOWW. def didn't think one LED stripe would change the look that drastically. im in like shock and awe here. def a good upgrade there...

Thanks but.....it wasn't just the LED. (2) 36” T5 ATI Aquablue Special and (2) 36" T5 Actinic bulbs are also included in the pics. The nice thing about this new setup is it is the full width of the tank where as the before picture was using a 48" fixture over a 72" tank. Not the best situation.

At some point I may experiment with other bulbs, different colors but for now I just want things to stabilize.

bml does have a good unit. the one 12000K Reef Spectrum is all most enough. we have ordered another. one blue two white is what we will have. met both Nick & Rand at MACNA last weak seem to be good people.

bml does have a good unit. the one 12000K Reef Spectrum is all most enough. we have ordered another. one blue two white is what we will have. met both Nick & Rand at MACNA last weak seem to be good people.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. Really good engineering.

I went with the 14000K and really like it as a single fixture. If I go with two or three fixtures, I agree with one blue and one or two white.

I've read through this entire tread over the last few days. It's been amazing seeing your tanks progress through the ups and downs over the last 3 years. I hope the new lighting works out the way you'd like it to.

I've read through this entire tread over the last few days. It's been amazing seeing your tanks progress through the ups and downs over the last 3 years. I hope the new lighting works out the way you'd like it to.

Thanks, I hoped you learned something. Try not to repeat my mistakes though...the last one was expensive.

What to do next?

What to do next?

It has been about 5 months since everything started going wrong. I a now down to 1 good looking coral, 1 ok looking coral, and 4 corals that look like they won't make it much longer. I still have the two clowns, tomini tang, and anemone.

So the question I pose is where to go from here. With only 3 fish and a small handful of corals the tank looks very sparse. I really want more life in the tank. The options are as follows:

1) More fish. I would love to get a group of anthias. I'm looking at 6-7 Lyretail Anthias plus an auto-feeder to provide them with pellets/flakes a couple times a day. Being as empty as it is I don't see this as being too big a deal regarding filtration.

2) More life. I would pick up a small amount of LR and LS from Tampa Bay Saltwater and add it to my existing system. Hopefully this will help seed the existing rock/sand with the life that hasn't made it over the last couple years. Another option would be LR from someplace like Live Aquaria or Premium Aquatics. While I don't need any more rock in my system, I wouldn't mind transferring some of the pieces in the display into the sump for the new stuff. Even if it is uncured, adding a small amount of new rock shouldn't hurt what is currently in the tank.

3) More Corals. I could try introducing new coral fags into the tank and see how they do. My only concern would be having them deteriorate like all the other corals.

What do you folks think? Is there another option I didn't think about?

I like the idea of adding more fish and perhaps some TBS rock. I think increasing the biodiversity might really help. Just be prepared for the pests!

Occasional coral additions as the tank becomes ready.

My problem with TBS is it will cost $65-$100 for shipping. If I were doing all TBS rock, that would work because I would need about 100 pounds of rock. Since I only need a small amount, I would rather get it from somewhere else. And that's annoying because TBS has some of the most bio-diverse LR out there. :angryfire:

The other two options I've been looking at are Premium Aquatics Manado LR or LiveAquaria Fiji LR. I think 15#s of Manado or the 22# package of Fiji.

I'm not totally set on what kind of fish I want. The Lyretail Anthias are nice but with only 125g, I may have to settle for 6 and that's just an idea. After that, I don't quite know where to go. Suggestions?

I ordered from gulfliverock.com when I needed a small amount to reseed my tank after a weeklong power outage. Nice rock with lots of life.

Apotack, that is a great find. If I go with 20#s of LR and 25#s of LS (I need a little more sand in the tank anyways), the total including shipping is still in the ballpark of what I intended to spend on the other options. A serious contender.

A few weeks ago I picked up 7 test corals to see if there were still issues with the tank. The old hammer and torch corals, anemone, and fish look fine. The new Acans look best of the new corals, the new brains are OK, the Acros are receding and I lost the Monti. The sand bed is covered in red film and it's not a flow issue. So last weekend I did two water changes, put in new phosphate remover and things looked better but not good.

WTH!

Well, tonight I finally put my finger on it.

THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. :debi:

Nitrate over 40ppm is not cool. So this week I will do some serious water changes. Just goes to show you that testing for everything is key. Live and learn.

Back