RocketEngineer's 75g/125g Setup

Gulf Live Rock

Gulf Live Rock

Last week I ordered a nano package of LR from gulfliverock.com. It shipped Monday and showed up today.

Box Open:

The box had 1/2" foam on all sides and the bag is very heavy duty and well sealed.

Bag Open:

Each piece of LR is wrapped in damp paper towels.

Batch 1:

Batch 2:

Batch 3:

There was almost no rubble in the box. Some critters didn't make it but it looks like most of the stuff did just fine.

Despite the issues with the display I have kept with the plan and put the new rock into my 30g temporary setup.

In Tank Left:

In Tank Center:

In Tank Right:

It looks like there are two or three different corals that survived the trip:

So far, I like what I see. While the main type of macroalgae is halimeda, there are multiple sizes. The coralline algae is in several different colors which is very cool plus a whole host of different sponges. I also put several bristleworms into the tank from the bag. Now its just wait and see how the rock progresses.

A few weeks ago I picked up 7 test corals to see if there were still issues with the tank. The old hammer and torch corals, anemone, and fish look fine. The new Acans look best of the new corals, the new brains are OK, the Acros are receding and I lost the Monti. The sand bed is covered in red film and it's not a flow issue. So last weekend I did two water changes, put in new phosphate remover and things looked better but not good.

WTH!

Well, tonight I finally put my finger on it.

THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. :debi:

Nitrate over 40ppm is not cool. So this week I will do some serious water changes. Just goes to show you that testing for everything is key. Live and learn.

DUDE!

Where/How in the ____ did you get nitrates that high?

I didn't read this thread started over 2 years aog, sorry.

This is a major issue! Are you running a dirty filter sock? A cannister? Too much detritus laying around? or better yet, a DSB?
Are you using chaeto in your sump? MOre LR will help, but, Nitrates should REMAIN non detectable on an API kit. They are not that sensitive anyways.
But, if it says 0, you know they are pretty low to begin with.

That looks like an API test kit, right?
Every time I bother to test for nitrates- mine is the brightest Yellow you could ever see.

My current 125g, as of yesterday

DUDE!

Where/How in the ____ did you get nitrates that high?

I didn't read this thread started over 2 years aog, sorry.

This is a major issue! Are you running a dirty filter sock? A cannister? Too much detritus laying around? or better yet, a DSB?
Are you using chaeto in your sump? MOre LR will help, but, Nitrates should REMAIN non detectable on an API kit. They are not that sensitive anyways.
But, if it says 0, you know they are pretty low to begin with.

That looks like an API test kit, right?
Every time I bother to test for nitrates- mine is the brightest Yellow you could ever see.

LOL, this is what happens when 90% of your corals die and you get totally disheartened. I didn't do much all summer except feed the fish and with only three that was light and infrequent.

No filter socks, canister or DSB. I did a water change a couple weeks ago and didn't remove any more detritus than I normally do. The chaeto in the sump isn't growing well at the moment but it is a nice dark green. I wonder if the phosphate reactor is inhibiting its ability to use up the nitrates in the setup. If the tank is phosphate poor but nitrate rich it may not grow as well.

Yup, cheap API test kit. I agree if it shows up on that test at all there is an issue.

The first water change should happen tonight and with the long weekend I hope to do another one between now and Monday.

I would just go to your LFS and get some LR that is very well established and porous. Do you have a sand bed? Add some copepods/amphipods to your chaeto.

Do you have a clean up crew? I would do weekly water changes 10%.

If your looking for a beautiful fish to add I would go with the Heniochus black and white.

My favorite fast growing corals- Pulsing xenia, green star poly, zoa's, duncans, candy canes, and Kenya tree's.

I would just go to your LFS and get some LR that is very well established and porous. Do you have a sand bed? Add some copepods/amphipods to your chaeto.

Do you have a clean up crew? I would do weekly water changes 10%.

If your looking for a beautiful fish to add I would go with the Heniochus black and white.

My favorite fast growing corals- Pulsing xenia, green star poly, zoa's, duncans, candy canes, and Kenya tree's.

My LFS only has "Real Reef Live Rock" which as far as I'm concerned is no better than dry rock. Fully cured in both cases just means that the bacteria have had time to grow on it. There is none of the critters on it that I'm after. The rock in my quarantine setup was aquacultured in the Gulf of Mexico so it has the pods and macroalgae I'm looking for. You run the risk of getting hitchhikers but that's the reason to quarantine it.

I do have a sand bed but I think it is time to change that out with new stuff. The sand I have now started in my my 30g years ago and I kept that plus added more when I went to the 75g about 3 years ago. I washed it during each upgrade but given it's current state I think new sand is in order. I'm going to wait and see what kind of holiday deals come up.

I will say that my LFS has an amazing selection of corals. Pacific East Aquaculture is just an hour's drive from my house and they are constantly getting in new pieces. Plus, they have a bunch of frags under $15 which is great for collecting pieces on a budget.

Before I add anything else, I need to get the nitrates under control. In that regard "the solution to pollution is dilution" so water changes over the next few weeks. I need to improve how easy it is to do them so I do water changes more often. Something to work on over the winter I guess.

Are you sure it's aptasia? I thin they are more common on rock from the pacific. Mine had a very small nem that left alone, it's now large and very cool.

Are you sure it's aptasia? I thin they are more common on rock from the pacific. Mine had a very small nem that left alone, it's now large and very cool.

If it isn't aiptasia it is a glass anemone or something similar. The tentacles are sharply pointed and the thing is mostly striped brown. I've had ball anemones in my setups for years without any issues but this guy looks like one of the pests.

I learned something new today. The one I can see easily looks just like the pictures of the curly cue anemone. I guess I will leave it alone for the time being.

So far I have spotted 4 different corals:

Star Coral:

Cup Coral:

Tube Coral:

Unknown Coral:

Yup, those tentacles waving in the current are a coral. Its very hard to see the base as it blends into the rock. It may turn out to be another tube coral.

And this critter went crawling around the tank:

I think its a turkey wing mollusk.

So far things look like they are recovery from transport.

On the big tank front I did my second water change of the weekend tonight. My hammer is all puffed out so I think if I keep it up, things will keep improving.

Last night I noticed that the main part of the tube coral is still alive.:dance:

So the question of the day is do I glue the small frag somewhere else or reattach it to the main colony?

Thoughts?

The corals you are referring to as tube corals are Phyllangia Americana, hidden cup corals. Very common on gulf rock. You can glue the skeleton anywhere you'd like.

The corals you are referring to as tube corals are Phyllangia Americana, hidden cup corals. Very common on gulf rock. You can glue the skeleton anywhere you'd like.

Thanks for the correction. I'm glad someone is double checking these IDs, I'm not very good at that kind of thing.

Now, where did I stick that tube of superglue.......

How are those hitchhiker corals coming along? Nitrates good now?

The hitchhiker corals are doing fine. I found another one which makes 5. The anemone has disappeared though....

Three 20g waterchanges in and the tank is still in the orange but the hint of red is gone. I'm going to try for two more this weekend. While I know it will take longer, 20-24g is a good working size for me as its right around what my sump holds. Just turn the sump stuff off, drain it, and refill. My only issue is my water pressure is low so the RODI unit has to run for a long time to have enough water. For now, I'm just going to keep doing them as I can until things improve.

On another note, I picked up two MP40Ws. They are Gen2 and show a little wear but one of them replaced the MP10wES on the end of the big tank. The other is now a backup. Since I run the Ecotech powerheads on reef crest mode, I don't need the ES driver (that's a future upgrade). Also, I plan on replacing my sand with Tropic Eden Reef Flakes and Mini Flakes before Christmas. I hope removing that plus all the cyano/red algae mats will help with everything else. We will see.

Back