RODI waste water and hydroponics

jong11

Anyone see any concerns or drawbacks to using the waste water in a hydroponics setup? My waste water reads about 37 TDS, of what I don't know.

No problems. In the summer, I use mine in the garden as well. Unfortunately during the winter it goes sown the drain, though watering the plants w it is a great idea.

If you are using any sort of misting system and your waste water is hard, you may have issues with scale build up.

Russ

That's what I was thinking. I know people use rodi water in their systems instead of tap.
I guess the waste water would have a higher concentration of whatever is coming from the tap? Would the waste water still have chlorine? It's going to be used in a deep water culture.

No - remember all the water exiting the system, meaning both your waste water and your purified water, has gone through your prefilters (typcially a sediment filter and a carbon block. The carbon removes chlorine).

Russ

My waste water flows into my fish pond. The pond simply overflows, so every time I need water for my tanks, the pong gets a water change as well.

Great idea. My pond has its own ATO however.

Thanks. It works well for me. I go through quite a bit of RO/DI water. Every time I mix up 100 gallons of salt water, my pond gets about 300 gallons of clean water. I have no pumps or filtration on my pond, but the water is always crystal clear. All I have to do is remove the leaves off the bottom of the pond every once in a while.

My waste water flows into my fish pond. The pond simply overflows, so every time I need water for my tanks, the pong gets a water change as well.

That is a great idea. I never considered using the RODI waste water in my pond or freshwater fish tank. I need to check the pressure required to see if I can plumb the RO waste line directly to my drip irrigation system.

The pressure in your waste water will be very similar to your feedwater pressure. However, if you contrain the waste water output realize that you are further restricting flow, and you'll change your waste water to purified water ratio.

Russ

The pressure in your waste water will be very similar to your feedwater pressure. However, if you contrain the waste water output realize that you are further restricting flow, and you'll change your waste water to purified water ratio.

Russ

Good point, I did not consider that. I will skip the drip irrigation system and use the waste water to refill the pond. Thanks for the information Russ.

If your mixing up hydroponic nutrients than make sure you get the softwater version of the nutrient.

Depending on what your growing, you will get better results with the clean water than the waste water. If you are just growing ornamentals and herbs than it doesn't matter really, if you are growing strawberries or edibles than ro water is better from my experience.

-Will P.

Our neighbors use their waste water to top off their pool, wash clothes, water plants, etc...
All this w/o waste water storage. I hope to employ these methods with my RO/DI.

As a former dealer for hydrofarms- we used to mix all of our hydroponic solutions with RO. It is no different than aquarium chemistry as far as ph and such goes- and using the best quality water leads to the best quality of nutrient solution. I would suggest going to a hydroponics board to ask this question. Their answer would be the same as if you asked here, if you could use the waste from your hydroponic RO for your reef tank.

I wouldn't recommend using the waste ro water for hydroponics. I have done a lot of hydroponic gardening and use the good RO water to mix up the hydroponic solution. You definitely don't want to use the waste water. If you use the waste water you will get big PH swings and depending on what's in your input water you could get algae in your hydroponic tank.

Sorry for the bad news! Hydroponic gardening is great and a lot of fun but can be a real pain if you don't stay on top of good water chemistry. I guess you could say the same about reefing!

I'm in the process of running my RO/DI waste to the rain barrel. Unfortunately, I rarely use the rain barrel right now. :(

Jeff

Back