Micro bubble

Micro bubble

Hi to all. Jeremy ask for pics,i try to upload 3 or 4
showgallery.php
218667_9140813.jpg
url]
218667_9140810.jpg
218667_9140817.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15699923#post15699923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
My 170 is using the 1000 motor/pump. Is that the normal pump for the 170's?

Sorry not my intention to confuse just offering my opinion, the motor block on the 170 is the same as the 1500 but the 170 has shorter pins on the pinwheel and I there are differences in the volute that make it a RD 1000 but it is the same block (lots of torque) I am sure given a chance klaus, proline, and Premium will get the issues ironed out.

I have not had a chance to play with a 170 yet it just seems to me that an easy fix would be to make an impellar that keeps the air the same while reducing the waterflow. That is if it can be done without the surging.

Thanks for posting the pics. Can you show a picture of the bottom of the cone that shows the relation of the bubble column inside the skimmer versus how far it is from the bubble plate?

Thanks,
Jeremy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15700690#post15700690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
I have not had a chance to play with a 170 yet it just seems to me that an easy fix would be to make an impellar that keeps the air the same while reducing the waterflow. That is if it can be done without the surging.

Good point, I am wondering if a smaller diameter impeller overall with the same size pins would do the trick. I have a few things coming to try and see what it will do.

Micro bubble

Micro bubble

Hi again,Jeremy i try to upload more,if not good,tell me how close you want the pics.
218667_9140815.jpg
url]
218667_9140819.jpg
url]

Awesome Picture Janos..
Jeremy that is what my 170 looks like.. Just a tad less micro bubbles..
Janos what depth and what nozzle you running?

Hi Wd40 Skimmer sitting in 10 " Water and 58 mil nozzle
Sorry Jeremy don't have macro lens,so can not go to close to the sump,but the bubble almost sitting on the plate.No more then 1/4"forming above the plate

Last edited:
yeah with the 58mm nozzle its gonna sit on the plate. Im running mine @ 9" with the 59mm nozzle. I think we got to run them at 8" to avoid the microbubbles. Im waiting for jeremy to respond back to me to see what he thinks..

Wd40- try doing what I have (which i jus re-checked). If you have a 59mm nozzle in there, slide it out 3mm so it's the equivalent of a 56mm nozzle. If the bubbles are out of control and below the bubble plate, wiggle the nose cone in about 1mm and see what happens. Get the skimmer to be in 8 to 9 inches of water and re-adjust your wedge pipe. If you can, please try this and let me know how it works for you.

I will subman but i dont get home till wednesday.
However if i pull it out to 56 thats more air which would = more microbubbles right?? or am i wrong

Yes, it does add air and will most likely create more bubbles. Do you have a surging problem or just too much bubbles coming out of the exhaust pipe? If no surging and too many bubbles, try going the opposite way with the nozzle by just pushing the nozzle (not the whole nose piece) in about 1mm to restrict a little more air. (Be VERY CAREFUL not to go in too far and hit the impeller!) My bubbles are about 3/4 inch above my bubble plate and I have very minimal bubbles coming out of my exhaust, which I believe is normal. I've been experimenting witha adjustments and I believe these proceedures can work.

3/4" above your bubble plate?!
My bubbles sit on top of the bubble cup! And im getting a lot of bubbles, and no no surging problem. I actually skim well.
But yeah i guess ill try pushing it out 1mm and see what happens

Ok, sounds like you have to opposite problem of what I had so yes, you nee to "restrict" the airflow a bit by pushing the nozzle "IN" 1mm (towards the impeller). If you need to go in more, make sure you have enought clearance and go in 1 more mm for a total of 2mm in.

sounds good buddy i appreciate the help greatly! What do you think of me raising the skimmer to 8" first. Wouldnt that itslef restrict airflow?
Also how much air can i restrict before i start running into foam production/skimmate issues, you know what I mean?
Thanx again

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15701317#post15701317 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wd40
sounds good buddy i appreciate the help greatly! What do you think of me raising the skimmer to 8" first. Wouldn't that itself restrict airflow?
Also how much air can i restrict before i start running into foam production/skimmate issues, you know what I mean?
Thanx again
You're welcome! I believe that if you put the skimmer at 8", you might get more air bubbles due to lower backpressure therefore allowing air pressure to overcome the water pressure. In liquids, the deeper you go, the greater the pressure. As for "how far you can go", keep making minute 1mm adjustments till the exhaust bubbles are reduced and the bubbles are above the bubble plate about 3/4 inch. If you go too far, you'll know it! You may get the surging problem and bubble/foam production will decrease. If that happens, just undo your last adjustment one step at a time till you get it optimized. I found that when I had the surging problem and no micro bubbles coming out of the exhaust, I also had lousy foam production, so some microbubbles escaping are ok! If you're getting microbubbles back into the tank, you may need to put a foam block, mesh, bio-balls or rock rubble in the baffle area going to the return pump. My sump came with the foam block for that purpose so I don't have bubbles fiinding their way through.

Yeah i just hate those foam blocks.. Cleaning wise you know.
I understand what you mean by the deeper you go the greater the pressure, Makes sense. Thanx
Ill let you know what happens tomorrow..

You're welcome. Believe me, I have both the filter sock and the foam block, both are a pain to clean but they do help greatly in keeping crud out of the tank so I just suck it up even though I hate it. Looking forward to your results.

9" with new 47mm thin nozzle here,,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15707507#post15707507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 7thheaven
Hi all~

What is proper water level of alpha 250 model in sump?

10 inches?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15708684#post15708684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kvmn
9" with new 47mm thin nozzle here,,

I've found that my sweet spot is at 9.5". For some reason 9" gives too much air but raising it a half an inch has made just the right levels of water and air.

I'm getting a lot more stuff gunked up in the neck and on the lid now and I never really had it do that too much before. Always a good amount of skimmate but just not much goo in the neck and such.

I've had it this way going on the 3rd week now and it seems to get better each week. Tried it at 9" for a week and had it at 10" for a long time and for whatever reason 9.5" seems to be the sweet spot for me!

Just my .02

Back