RVANANO's 300 peninsula reef build

stringy with bubbles sounds like dino's to me. can you post a picture? I ran kessils for about 6 months and found that i couldnt take the color over 50% with intensity no higher than 65%. what are you running the color% at?

Tank continues to get worse. I now have the color never going over 60% and intensity doesn't go over 50%. I also cut off the T5's. The problem is actually getting exponentially worse by the day. Guess I will switch back to MH and sell my AP700's. I will be devastated in my large SPS colony dies off.

stringy with bubbles sounds like dino's to me. can you post a picture? I ran kessils for about 6 months and found that i couldnt take the color over 50% with intensity no higher than 65%. what are you running the color% at?

I would agree. Post a couple photos as well as your tank perimeters.

Just seems odd that the tank is 3 years old and I never had this problem prior. It literally started when I changed to LED. I will post up all my levels this week but I am still likely to switch back. I don't like the AP700's on the blue setting all the time. What's the point of having white if you can't use it due to coral bleaching?

Just seems odd that the tank is 3 years old and I never had this problem prior. It literally started when I changed to LED. I will post up all my levels this week but I am still likely to switch back. I don't like the AP700's on the blue setting all the time. What's the point of having white if you can't use it due to coral bleaching?

You'd probably have to gradually acclimate them to a whiter setting. Must have shocked them. As we all know, corals are like grumpy old men and don't like change. I love my kessils but I wouldn't blame you if you switched back after your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like your whites are too high and are producing dinos, have you run leds before? Switching your lighting on a 3 year old tank will have some problems, and led is not plug and play like your previous light setups. They will require adjusting till you find that sweet spot, and they are powerful and can kill corals if the settings are not right.

I put the lights back on acclimate for a few weeks and then tried raising the levels ever so slightly while staying almost full blue. I ended up losing a lot of coral and my favorite large SPS colony is really struggling. I went back to MH today and listed my Kessil's on eBay.

The tank is already doing better since I switched back. Although I probably lost $750-1k worth of coral. Expensive lesson. And no matter what anyone says about dialing it in, I ran on full blue with low intensity for weeks and slowly ramped it up with no whites at all and it was still terrible. I really don't see the point of these lights since everyone says never run full white for full intensity. Why is it even an option on there? Why would anyone want a windex tank? I can at least say I tried what I avoided so long and am so happy to be back to MH. Just seems harder to find bulbs so I am going to start buying 3 bulbs every 4-6 months and stock pile a few years worth.

The tank is already doing better since I switched back. Although I probably lost $750-1k worth of coral. Expensive lesson. And no matter what anyone says about dialing it in, I ran on full blue with low intensity for weeks and slowly ramped it up with no whites at all and it was still terrible. I really don't see the point of these lights since everyone says never run full white for full intensity. Why is it even an option on there? Why would anyone want a windex tank? I can at least say I tried what I avoided so long and am so happy to be back to MH. Just seems harder to find bulbs so I am going to start buying 3 bulbs every 4-6 months and stock pile a few years worth.

Sorry to read about your troubles, Brandon! That sucks.
Glad it seems like it's recovering now though.

In regards to the lighting, I'm curious why you changed spectrum so drastically (blues only)? I would have tried to mimick your old spectrum and just run it real low intensity, ramping up 5% per day or something like that. Not sure if that would have made a difference, just how I would have gone about it. FWIW, I run my leds with a decent amount of white. I hate that windex look.

But yeah, its still hard to beat a mh/t5 tank. Unless electricity is just killing you in your area, I don't see a good reason to swap.
Good luck with the recovery!

Thanks, Dennis. You are literally the only person to suggest running the same spectrum. Everyone I actually spoke to with knowledge of these lights said you can't run full white at all. Which seemed silly to me too. At any rate, I just wasn't willing to invest the time to dial them in while witnessing my tank die off. And to be honest, I didn't like the visual brightness of the lights even the first time I ran them to 100% at full white just to see what they would look like. With all new Megachrome 12,500 and T5's from Geiseman, the tank looks better than ever! At least in regards to the lighting.. Will have to start over with a lot of SPS.

Back