Salt. What do you use.

Finis

So I am using instant ocean reef crystals right now. Been fine so far. Thinking of getting a different salt mix just to try the more "premium" stuff.

I've used Kent Reef a lot and like it but honestly I've been using regular IO lately and it's been fine as well. My problem is keeping up with the tank with lack of time rather than what salt is used. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using Seachem Reef Salt for about 3 years mostly just because it's cheaper than most others. I actually think it's the cheapest reef salt at Premium Aquatics. It's quite low in magnesium. Last I tested a batch I think it was in the 900's. Calcium is around 420 and I don't recall what the alkalinity is.

Instant Ocean now, Reef Crystals once I finally get the bucket empty. Making the change because of the switch over to a mix reef in my tank.

I was to petco or pet smart (can't remember) but got the 160g of IO salt for half off this last weekend. Couldn't pass it up.

IO or RC for all of my tanks. I have customers that buy their own salt that I use on their tanks-and really see little difference in the quality of tanks.

I use to use io but got tired of the brown film it left in my mixing can. I upgraded my mixing station to 2 100 gal vertical tanks and didn't want to have to buy a mop to clean them. So I have been useing fritz but will be switching over to red sea coral pro when the box runs out.

This may be silly, but is there really that much difference in the salts sold for aquarium use?

There are some pretty drastic differences in levels of different salts.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505

I prefer RC for my reef tank b/c of price and levels it gives me. However, the downside is my mixing container always has to be cleaned regularly b/c of the bonding agents (iirc-clay?) they use for it which makes the container pretty nasty.

I bought some red sea pro to try it out. As far as the brown film from RC, i have never gotten this.

This may be silly, but is there really that much difference in the salts sold for aquarium use?

Huge differences. The levels of calcium magnesium etc are pretty substantial. Its different for everyones system so its best to try a few different ones out till you find something you like.

Now for fish only systems, just get some good ole cheap salt from anywhere. No big differences there.

I bought some red sea pro to try it out. As far as the brown film from RC, i have never gotten this.

Tell me how you like it. I have IO right now and left it in the brute too long. It smells super sweet now (probably has gone off). So yeah gotta dump like 5 gallons of salt mixed water.

I'm currently using IO or Kent. I've had the brown residue from RC, but no ill effects.

Back