Sargassum Refugium/Incubation Tank

karimwassef

If you've been to the Caribbean in the last couple of years, you've probably slogged through feet deep stinky Sargassum overflow on the beaches and a hot thick soup of Sargassum float as you get into the blue.

sargassum-mexico.jpg

caribbeanseaweed.jpg

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/07/10/sargassum-ruining-beaches-texas-tobago-347735.html

I was personally both amazed and disgusted at the stuff but it set me on a path of learning more about the stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassum

The "Sargasso" sea is basically a massive floating island mass of this seaweed in the Atlantic

Sargasso.png

It's bounded by current instead of land from Bermuda and almost to Africa. The circulation of currents around it keep it contained most of the time.

North_Atlantic_Gyre.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_Sea

It's the only "island" defined by water flow this way and it's so large and thick that early explorers thought it was land. It's roughly the size of Australia. Scientists believe that violent storms and weather patterns break off parts of this island and that's what causes the mess in the Caribbean.

Ok. So who cares?

I'm fascinated by the role of the Sargassum as an incubator for plankton and other juvenile life. While snorkeling in and round the floats in Cancun this summer, that really came into focus. The seaweed mass is frothing with life if you take a minute to look. Most interesting is the almost invisible soup that drains from it and around it when you pull it out of the water.

This seaweed has floating sacs that keep it afloat - so it acts like a kiddie float that corrals and protects the babies while giving shelter from airborne predators too. The leaves have a shape that allows for plenty of space between sections without being easily crushed (like other algae). It also traps heat so well that there is a significant temperature gradient between the mass and the water below and around it. It's in the perfect Goldilocks zone where plankton can thrive with abundant sources of heat, light and nutrients with protection and control.

So - a Sargassum biotope is very intriguing on many fronts! I couldn't find any postings on anyone successfully doing this - hence this post looking for help. The life in a Sargassum float is amazing! My kids and I counted almost 100 life forms. From frogfish to swimming crabs to sea horses and juvenile forms of eels, jacks, puffers, filefish...

I use Chaeto in my refugium and it works well to keep my glass and peppermint shrimp safe and spawning, but it doesn't naturally float or have the construction that Sargassum leaves have to incubate baby fauna. The idea is to attach this as a safe haven away from my main reef and act as a life pump into the DT. This is what the Saragasso sea DOES in nature. It's a protected space where plankton can thrive but still be controlled and that is exactly what I'm interested in recreating.

Ok - enough gushing over a seaweed (wife thinks I'm nuts already) - what do you think?

The pictures above look grungy. Here's a vid that shows one of my experiences with it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AuNXb9wh2AA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RTuKv6lW8ik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Sargassum that floats is one type of Sargassum and in my opinion would be difficult to maintain in a captive tank mostly because of it's intense light requirement. While working in GOM hundreds of miles offshore in deep blue water, I collected specimens for a fish tank that we maintained on our drill ship. I collected similar specimens on Galveston beach.

If you go to live-plants.com, you will see that there are other sub species of Sargassum that attach to live rock from deeper water. While not the bio type you mentioned, it me be easier to maintain.

Thanks!

I grow SPS, so intense lighting is PAR for the course. I can setup 500-1000 PAR at the water surface. I've literally bleached algae and scorched live rock.

If that's the hurdle, I think we can overcome it. The floating Sargassum is key to creating the special biotope I'm thinking about.

more from this last summer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RTuKv6lW8ik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm looking for the Sargassum shrimp and crab vids.

Beware of the sargasso crabs, they are always hungry and quite vicious . You will end up with one after awhile. Not to mention the angler. The shrimps and pipefish are quite tame but hide very well . Unless you have gobs of the sargasso to feed you can skip the nudibranchs. I had one angler that would eat frozen. All of the others had to eat live food. Equals a pita . I had to substitute FW guppies to get them to feed but it was too late. Once they felt bad they stopped eating altogether.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was actually thinking to connect it in line with my reef so that the life in the Sargassum tank acts as a refugium and fry rearing tank. I'm more interested in the planktonic and small shrimp content than the big fish and crabs.

The sargassum crabs were vicious and grew to the same size as adult blue crabs - food size.

This definitely seems like a good idea to try and see if it works. It sure does sound like it will sustain a diverse set of life.

You could also share your experiences with it for fellow reefers who haven't been exposed to the big experiments done in labs around the world on the sargassum.

I.e what nutrients it likes/dislikes, lighting, flow, stuff hobbyist reefers would like to know etc...

Big ups if you get it done

This stuff is very resilient... pretty much a pest where it can get a toe-hold.

But the biodiversity is insane. It traps heat too, so great as a nursery in the middle of the ocean.

I'm not sure where to get a starting stock. It's literally turning into mountains of garbage all over the mexican gulf coast. Maybe Florida coasts?

Anyone experience this stuff in the US?

I should have just not washed my swimming trunks before my flight back from Cancun. It tends to grab on with little hook-like edges and stick in pockets and other exposed fabric sections.

Back