SC 150 skimmer review pics

I've had an SC-65 (now SCA-301) for quite a while now, and wanted to report one annoying problem...

The pump outlet is held in place by a pressure fit, and it comes loose with some frequency. If the bottom of the pump were flush with the bottom of the two white stand legs, it would sit on the bottom of the sump. But it doesn't - it hovers a 1/4" or so above the bottom - and consequently, periodically, vibrates itself out.

From the look of it, I would assume the SCA-303's may have this same problem.

What ultimately fixed this for me was a wrap of silicone stretch tape around the part of the pump outlet that fits into the stand. That extra bit of thickness, plus the squishy give of the tape, allows for a tight, perfect fit. Has not come lose again in quite a few months. Seems to be a permanent fix to the problem.

Hope that helps anyone with a similar problem. :)

would u be able to post a pic of ur mod?

would u be able to post a pic of ur mod?
Nope. I'm sorry. But my sump is SO tight, SO jam packed, I practically have to disassemble everything in it to get my skimmer out. You could either chalk that up to bad planning, or genius at cramming lots if functionality into really small spaces. You can be the judge. ;)

Anyway, it's a PITA to get it out - which is why this fix was so important to me. Inserting the pump back into the skimmer housing took 30 minutes with all the disassembly/assembly. But what's to take a picture of anyway?

Just take a 2-3" strip of the tape (I provided a link to the tape), and wrap it tightly (but not crazy tight) around the top nozzle (hose barb outlet) of the pump. Needless to say, don't wrap it such that the tape interferes with the water flow out the nozzle. In fact I aligned the tape such that the top edge of the tape was flush with the top edge of the nozzle. Then cram the tape covered outlet back into the bottom of the skimmer. Could not be easier. :)

Nope. I'm sorry. But my sump is SO tight, SO jam packed, I practically have to disassemble everything in it to get my skimmer out. You could either chalk that up to bad planning, or genius at cramming lots if functionality into really small spaces. You can be the judge. ;)

Anyway, it's a PITA to get it out - which is why this fix was so important to me. Inserting the pump back into the skimmer housing took 30 minutes with all the disassembly/assembly. But what's to take a picture of anyway?

Just take a 2-3" strip of the tape (I provided a link to the tape), and wrap it tightly (but not crazy tight) around the top nozzle (hose barb outlet) of the pump. Needless to say, don't wrap it such that the tape interferes with the water flow out the nozzle. In fact I aligned the tape such that the top edge of the tape was flush with the top edge of the nozzle. Then cram the tape covered outlet back into the bottom of the skimmer. Could not be easier. :)
oh nvm about the pic...i read ur modification wrong...haha late night research :rolleye1:

So I just bought an sca-302 skimmer and when I went to Turn it on the red plate and cylinderwwon't stay on the pump am I missing something or am I just not using it right?

I have had my SCA-303 for over a year and really like it. However, the bubbles are now starting to bother me. I'm seeing them in the tank more and more.

Any simple mods been done to help reduce the bubbles? A plastic diverter secured between the downpipe and the main stand, securing foam to the downpipe, or any other ideas?

I'v been running my SCA-65 for over a year and am very happy with its performance. The only problem I've run into is that the air intake right on the venturi gets clogged with salt creep reducing bubble efficiency. I've had to clean it out about every month or so. I've never owned a different skimmer, is this normal?

So I just bought an sca-302 skimmer and when I went to Turn it on the red plate and cylinderwwon't stay on the pump am I missing something or am I just not using it right?

There is a piece that screws into the top of the pump. I am assuming you have the bubble plate on top of this. Yes?

You have to open up the bubble plate cup and s tee the piece into the pump thru the bottom of the bubble plate cup. Then screw the bubble plate back on to the cup. Hope thus helps

There is a piece that screws into the top of the pump. I am assuming you have the bubble plate on top of this. Yes?

You have to open up the bubble plate cup and s tee the piece into the pump thru the bottom of the bubble plate cup. Then screw the bubble plate back on to the cup. Hope thus helps

There should be a screw that holds them to the pump.

Hi, i bought a SCA 302 skimmer. I put in 10Gal tank with 8" tap water. Let it break in. After 2days , it's still like this. Anyone have any idea ?

ok. i failed _ ____" thank you so much. I was trying to find out what happen. pump ? air ? maybe type of water? . I got my answer. thank you

I am doing a DIY could someone tell me the size of the skimmer heck on 302,and 303? Would it fit down inside a pvc 3" a picture would be great:)

Thank You,

the measure in main page is exactly correct [scaquariums.com/SCA_302_p/sca-302.htm] try to check it 1st.
I build DIY 55gal sump. skimmer section is 10" for a <------------> length

I had a thought. I fly remote control airplanes. On the electric jet models some hobbyists have their impellers from their motors balanced. Has anyone thought of having the pump impeller balanced? It may give a longer life and quieter operation. I will be ordering the 302 and see if I can have the impeller balanced, if I can have it removed of course.

SC skimmer pump doesnt' have controller. Basically, it runs very quiet. I have 302 in my sump, and it's awesome. I think you should order from their website, so if something go wrong, they will take care you easier. i believe they have free shipping promotion right now.

SC skimmer pump doesnt' have controller. Basically, it runs very quiet. I have 302 in my sump, and it's awesome. I think you should order from their website, so if something go wrong, they will take care you easier. i believe they have free shipping promotion right now.

I do understand that the pump does not have a controller. Just like you car the wheels need to be balanced to give you a smother quieter ride. This also makes you tire, wheel bearings and front end bushings last longer. Same concept on the pump impeller. the impeller is small enough so that you would not notice anything wrong in the beginning. After six months of a high frequency vibration it fails. If it was balanced then it would last much longer, in theory.

Back