SC 150 skimmer review pics

Having issues with mine still. Not sure what's up but the skimmers flowing so fast it is causing the water level to fluctuate a gallon a day...pre skimmer was a gallon a week. Is this typical on a 57g tank?

Last edited:
Drop youw water level to just below the cup. Mine does it every now and then when my Skimmer is down. Also check the air hole in the blue part of the pump

I got my SC-50 (yes, the tiny one), last summer when they first started shipping them. The prices have increased quite a bit - I just threw it into a rubbermaid that is soaking some recently acid-bathed Fiji.

IMG_20120425_175312.jpg

I am pretty impressed considering the rock was recently nuked and it's new water. :beer:

This will go on a frag tank later.

SC-302 Cone Skimmer

SC-302 Cone Skimmer

Mine (sc-302) will be here today. I'll post some pics.
Here we go:
DSC01184.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

DSC01186.jpg

So I took a pic of my BM NAC7 (older model) next to the SC-302 Cone.
I spent about an hour or so doing a few things to the SC302. I re-taped a few holes in the plate, cleaned-up all the rough parts and put my bubble plate from the NAC7 in the SC-302 NICE mod and a bath of course.
I talked to the guys from SC Aquarium and they said there working on a muffler (silencer) for them plus a bigger cup. The cup is find for me, but the silencer would be very nice just to make it complete.
The over-all build quality is very good and I'm very happy to run this skimmer in my setup.
I could do a muffler just like the BM, but all wait and see. The only thing I didn't like about the BM NAC7 was the price $$$, bigger pump (more watts) and it was NOT a one piece cone, it has a seam on the side. But I don't think they make them anymore like that since this is an older model. I think Atman pumps are very good, there in SWC skimmers which I also have a SWC 120 cone.

Thinking about getting the sc-302 for my 125g upgrade build can't beat the price I wonder if I should wait few months I know improvements are always being made. My 125 will be going up this fall might wait to get the skimmer then but I know price will go up but maybe the cup will get bigger also.Does the 302 have a drain for the cup?

Thinking about getting the sc-302 for my 125g upgrade build can't beat the price I wonder if I should wait few months I know improvements are always being made. My 125 will be going up this fall might wait to get the skimmer then but I know price will go up but maybe the cup will get bigger also.Does the 302 have a drain for the cup?

Yes you can see it in the pic.

OK just replace my SWC 120 cone with the SC-302. Plus a pic of the cup on the SWC 120 after about 5 days or so for reference. Will see how the SC 302 does, so far I think the bubble size is smaller on the SC 302 plus I like the bigger neck size.
DSC01194.jpg

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01197-1.jpg

DSC01196-1.jpg

so im confused on the water level bit, ive had mine (sc-150) running for a while now in my sump, and it is on and off on performance. should it be in 8-10 inches o water from the bottom o the legs, or from the bottom of the cone? im assuming legs, right? also, my pump is awfully loud here and there, but to shut it up, all i have to do is very briefly pinch the airline and it immediately stops making noise. anyone got an idea on what happening there?

Has anyone heard any updates on the new twin pump model he's making?

As of last week they told me no firm date is set as to when it will he ready or the final specs/price.

I asked if they would take pre orders once the price and specs are set and they said yes so I guess we just have to wait for them to work the bugs out

ok, recieved broken skimmer and seller shipped out new skimmer body, great service, running two sc 150s on 150g tank and they both crank out skimmate. So, for 230 bucks how can ya beat it

Was able to score an SC150 from a local reefer that he never got to use; he ended up with a bigger thank than he planned on originally so he had this brand new in the box for me!
Here is all the stuff that comes in the box, fully disassembled (aside from the Venturi which I didn't feel like pulling out). It all goes together pretty simply, and I'd say build and material quality is in the 6-7 out of 10 range.
8b040df8.jpg

Here is the Atman 2500 I've heard so many good things about.
d70a0151.jpg

Putting it together was a simple affair, and if you've ever had a protein skimmer before you'll be able to figure this one out in about five minutes.
Here it is with something for size comparison!
c07ffe64.jpg

I measured and it's in 10" of water in my sump. The lowest it will get to at the baffle if I let enough evaporation occur will be 9.5" which I've hear is ideal.
a39c0f31.jpg

The only issue I had was with the T tube that goes into the skimmer body. I had it in upside down so the skimmer body wasn't filling up. Took me a minute to figure that out but I got it done. I then tweaked the adjustment tube to fill the skimmer to what looks like a good height and I'm letting it crank! Since its only breaking in I'm sure I'll have to tinker with it some more, and I really don't know what number it's set at; I don't feel like climbing under there right now but I'm sure I'll post my "sweet spot" once it breaks in and I find it.
8e5ce5a0.jpg

H

Here's a FSS (full sump shot). I'm running it in a 20g long with skimmer, fuge and return chamber. The baffles and bubble trap are all glass with beveled edges to keep me from getting cut and siliconed in. Heck of a DIY job by a fellow member of our local reef club! The tank is a 58g Oceanic with a Lifereef Slimline Overflow and Mag7 return, so the turnover through my sump is a good amount without being too much. I've only had the tank up and running for a few weeks now; it's bare bottom and I just put some corals in last night. I'll be adding chaeto to the fuge in the next week or so.
42771569.jpg

which one would you guys recommend for a 45 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump? on the heavier side as stocking goes.

I think he means which model. Since you've got a 20 gallon sump and should have room, I'd go with either the 150 gallon (pump under) or 180 gallon (302 - pump inside) models. The SC-65 might handle the load, but for a little more you'd have the bigger one. Just my preference. I have the 302 and it's working great on my 90 gallon.

Back