Seagrass dropped blade "control"

Amphiprion

Premium Member
For those of you with a more actively growing species, like many of the Halophila sp., what do you do to control cast-offs? I have a good deal of water motion in my system to cope with epiphytic and commensal growths and prevent them from getting the upper hand. Inevitably, this leads to freeing a good number of loosened blades that quickly clog powerheads and the sponges I have in place to protect them. I have so many of them that it gets to be a handful at times, so I was wondering if there's any sort of trick out there to minimizing this or at least making it a little easier to deal with... I've already got my hands full enough with this tank. I don't want it to become a maintenance nightmare or anything of the sort.

Well, I guess I'll try to prune more often and more carefully. I wonder if running my fingers through the grass may catch some of the stray blades ahead of time...

Only other thing I can think of is running a small-ish net through the grass and collecting any leaves that way.

With Turtle Grass, removing shed blades is the best pruning method. Just have to flush them out with current and collect them in the tops of overflows or filter socks.

I do that already, except I have to do it at least daily. That's how much/often the Halophila drop leaves. I think the blade turnover in Thalassia is much longer compared to Halophila, so I don't think it presents the same kind of problems. Incidentally, I did stumble onto something interesting, though--air bubbles. I let my sump run low and spew bubbles before I decided to fill it. The foam that was created carried leaves and detritus with it. It may be good to encourage this every once in a while if it nets the kind of results I see...

I can feel Your pain.:lol:Eventhough I have turtle grass,I know where Your coming from.I have to clean out leaf litter nearly everyday.If I remember correctly,Halophila grows/drops it's leaves 70% faster rate than Thalassia.

Just curious,does Halophila leaves float like Thalassia leaves do?

Here's a link to a picture,showing how much I used to prune out,when the grass was really thick.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/3D-Reef/100_0052.jpg

For some reason, my DNS service is blocking that link, saying it is a known malicious site, lol. I know photobucket is fine, but it won't let me through. I'll definitely take your word for it (after all, I did read the thread about it growing profusely enough to grow through a coral skeleton, which I believe was yours, as well).

As for the leaves, they are less buoyant. If anything, I'd say they are neutrally buoyant to slightly buoyant depending on what the epiphytes are doing/photosynthesizing and creating oxygen bubbles.

As for the leaves, they are less buoyant. If anything, I'd say they are neutrally buoyant to slightly buoyant depending on what the epiphytes are doing/photosynthesizing and creating oxygen bubbles.

Hmm...Intresting!I wonder if it may have something to do,not only with epiphytes,but with the 'air-tubes' that run down through the plant as well(?).In turtle grass,they have a couple different 'tubes' for internal gas exchange and I believe they are also more developed in turtlegrass,than in Halophila (I'll have to look it up to be sure).So the whole plant will float,roots and all.It isn't untill the leaf is mainly decomposed before it will actually sink.

You may be right. They are likely not as developed or prominent in Halophila. They are definitely there, but I don't think they lend to buoyancy to the same extent.

Do you have a picture of your tank? Would love to see it :D

Thanks. Yes, I do:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Excuse the Aiptasia, which really like this unfiltered system.

3D/amph- I'm not sure of the air tubes you guys are talking about, but the effect they have on the dropped leaves is probably due to their use while the leaf is still alive. In turtle grass, I get the feeling the tubes are used for structural integrity besides just the gas exchange. It's such a long blade that it makes more sense to use the air tube for rigidity and keeping the blade upright rather than an additional system that would add weight. In halophila type plants, I feel like the blade is short enough that minimal tissue can be used to keep it upright enough and there isn't as much need for the air tubes to add rigidity.

Just my thoughts, not necessarily a grain of truth in there ;)

I do that already, except I have to do it at least daily. That's how much/often the Halophila drop leaves. I think the blade turnover in Thalassia is much longer compared to Halophila, so I don't think it presents the same kind of problems. Incidentally, I did stumble onto something interesting, though--air bubbles. I let my sump run low and spew bubbles before I decided to fill it. The foam that was created carried leaves and detritus with it. It may be good to encourage this every once in a while if it nets the kind of results I see...

Definitely! Great observation.

Definitely! Great observation

^1+

They are likely not as developed or prominent in Halophila. They are definitely there, but I don't think they lend to buoyancy to the same extent.

Now that You mention it,I believe Your right.I think it has to do with dispersal strategies between the two.Halophila sets off many more seeds than Thalassia does,so buoyancy wouldn't be as much of an issue.Also the rihzomes aren't quite as deep in the substrate.

sandiegan-Sounds good in theory too Me!:reading:Unfortunately,that's not the case.There is a structure,similar to what Your describing,called a vascular bundle,but it's independent of the air lacunae (tubes).There is a seperate structure called a cutical,which supports/protects the plant and it's apical meristem cells(the stem cells of the plant world).

Last edited:
^1+

Now that You mention it,I believe Your right.I think it has to do with dispersal strategies between the two.Halophila sets off many more seeds than Thalassia does,so buoyancy wouldn't be as much of an issue.Also the rihzomes aren't quite as deep in the substrate.

That makes sense. I had completely neglected the fact that whole plant/rhizome flotation was more of a major dispersal strategy in Thalassia.

Amphiprion and others, what temp are you running your seagrass tanks at an what lighting over what debth? After I get better lights, I'll have to take you up on the offer to get some grass from you. Maybe a baggie full. Gotta love how that sounds. ;)

Back