Shark for aquarium

Shark for aquarium

• Marbled Catshark (atelomycterus macleayi)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Epaulette Shark (Hemiscyllium ocellatum)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Badiskm1

So at my lfs they got a marbled catshark (atelomycterus macleayi) and an epaulette shark (Hemiscyllium ocellatum). I was wondering in general which one is hardier and easier to keep?

I have never kept a shark. What I do know is they require a very specific tank, setup and lots of research.

In the aggressive fish forum are some shark experts. Try posting over there if your serious about getting one. I believe there is even a sticky on the subject.

No shark can live in a 3ft tank. The smallest sharks around get 24". Being that you already know what the LFS has it sounds like you have already made your decision. Did you read the elasmobranch husbandry guide? I'm sure you haven't being it's almost 600 pages and the fact your still trying to get a shark for this tank...

If you go cool water or subtropical you can expand your selection for small shark. You will need something a little bigger then a 3.5ft tank. That will be fine for a pup. The person who said the smallest shark is 24 inches is wrong. I have both cloudy catsharks and chain catsharks and both stay well under 24 inches. They will be good choices for you. I have had mine for more then 2 years and they are great pets. I keep them with Catalina goodies and different sculpins. I have buffalo, fuzzy and pink sculpins.

If you go cool water or subtropical you can expand your selection for small shark. You will need something a little bigger then a 3.5ft tank. That will be fine for a pup. The person who said the smallest shark is 24 inches is wrong. I have both cloudy catsharks and chain catsharks and both stay well under 24 inches. They will be good choices for you. I have had mine for more then 2 years and they are great pets. I keep them with Catalina goodies and different sculpins. I have buffalo, fuzzy and pink sculpins.

Does it really matter?? The tank he has is way too small period. I was referring to non cold water sharks because let's face it if the 3.5ft tank is the largest he has I'm willing to bet he isn't going to buy a chiller for the tank either. For the record cloudy and chain cat sharks are cold water sharks right? Sounds like you just like to stir the pot... If you keep sharks then you can agree that his tank is too small. Everyone says "it's fine for a pup" well last time I checked they don't stay "pups". Also he specifically asked about two sharks that can exceed 24"

Nice first post BTW

What are you going crazy for? I am just giving him ideas which he may or may not do. He might of never looked into cold water species and once he does he might decide it will be a good option for him. You are right pups do grow into adults but they are not and do not require a large tank like a adults. Pups will do better in a small tank then a large. Anyone who knows about shark husbandry will recommend smaller tanks for young sharks. It will be very hard to raise a small shark in a large tank.

I know I might of came of as harsh but I don't need to be lectured and talked down to by a noob. BTW marbled catsharks the one the person asked about stays under 24 inches. The largest recorded marbled catshark isn't 24 inches. The person asked which one is better not if he should get one or not. You did not answer his question either.

Last edited:
What are you going crazy for. I am just giving him ideas which he may or may not do. He might of never looked into cold water species and once he does he might decide it will be a good option for him. You are right pups do grow into adults but they are not and do not require a large tank like a pup. Pups will do better in a small tank then a large. Anyone who knows about shark husbandry will recommend smaller tanks for young sharks. It will be very hard to raise a small shark in a large tank.

I know I might of came of as harsh but ain't don't need to be lectured and talked down to by a noob. BTW marbled catsharks the one the person asked about stays under 24 inches. The largest recorded marbled catshark isn't 24 inches. The person asked which one is better not if he should get one or not. You did not answer his question either.

Since your new to RC I will cut you a break. Everyone agrees that pups do better in small tanks. Point your missing is when people who are new ask questions on here you have to be very clear and not lead them in the wrong direction... I'm not going to argue with you about someone who is ill prepared to care for a shark in his 3.5ft tank no matter what shark that is. NO place recommends a 125g for a marbled cat period, so a 80g tank doesn't cut it. With your logic I should be fine with a Stegostoma Fasciatum in my 220g right? He has a lot of options including buying a bigger tank... Doesn't mean he will. Oh I almost forgot Welcome to Reef Central :fish1:

BTW no one is talking down to you so don't get all butt hurt on me

Last edited:
Yes it may be easier to keep a pup in a smaller tank but what happens when the shark outgrows the smaller tank? The other posters did not answer his original question because they are right in that neither of the sharks he asked about will be well in his tank once they reach maturity. Answer his question which is a better shark, then a couple on months down the road he'll be back on here asking about why his shark is no longer eating or too lethargic.

I understand what you are saying. In my other post I did mention he will have to upgrade. You are probably right he won't. I can't help you with you stevostevostevo1 question I never had one. But a 220 should be fine to hatch a egg.

Does it really matter?? The tank he has is way too small period. I was referring to non cold water sharks because let's face it if the 3.5ft tank is the largest he has I'm willing to bet he isn't going to buy a chiller for the tank either. For the record cloudy and chain cat sharks are cold water sharks right? Sounds like you just like to stir the pot... If you keep sharks then you can agree that his tank is too small. Everyone says "it's fine for a pup" well last time I checked they don't stay "pups". Also he specifically asked about two sharks that can exceed 24"

Nice first post BTW

Wow I thought his first post contained lost of good info. You just like to attack. He did say they are cool water. And you never answered the OP question plus you have no idea what size tank he may or may not want to keep one in.

Wow I thought his first post contained lost of good info. You just like to attack. He did say they are cool water. And you never answered the OP question plus you have no idea what size tank he may or may not want to keep one in.

It's a 300L tank... Read his other threads before you assume... So do the math that's a 80g tank. I think we are done talking about this

It's a 300L tank... Read his other threads before you assume... So do the math that's ain 80g tank. I think we are done talking about this

He just asked which was easier to keep in this thread. Not what size tank. You already told him 300l was too small in his other thread. Your right we are done.

He just asked which was easier to keep in this thread. Not what size tank. You already told him 300l was too small in his other thread. Your right we are done.

Come on guys, I can start several threads too asking the same question in different ways but the answer is always going to be the same. You can't possibly think that giving encouragement, no matter how is advisable? I think that reading some books on sharks would be very helpful thus answering these types of questions before they are asked. The more you keep starting threads essentially about the same thing just shows people either you won't take the advice given or you refuse to learn

Not everyone stalks people and keeps tabs on the information they post. The guy brought up a topic and it was answered. I don't see what's so funny. Is it that you are a jerk or give bad information? You kept throwing around 24 inches. Your 24 inch comments are wrong. As stated earlier marbled catsharks stay under 24 inches. Now I understand why shark people stick to Monsterfishkeepers.
:ape: :ape:

Back